The Richard's Trade: The Kings View

Guest Digityman

Even sitting at 8th in the Western Conference and Richard's at a .77 ppg average, looking through the King's brass' eyes they must still be happy with this trade.

On the other side you have Simmonds doing average. Has flashes of skill here and there. Overall he's a -1 and a .43 ppg. Schenn is out for a good 2 months and even though hurt through the preseason, didn't show to much to get excited about just yet. For as highly as he was touted you have to think that within 2-3 years he should be near Mike Richard' level.

Just on a ppg level, the Kings gain.33 ppg through the first part of the season

On a mental and team unity level, maybe that difference shrinks up a bit.

We'll see what the end of the season brings but my thought is having someone like Richards (can be) for the playoffs is going to be great for the Kings.

One or two years from now the tables might be turned.

agreed. i think richards without the C changes a lot. this was one of those weird trades where one team did not give up what the other team received. richards in philly was damaged....the leadership role he was given was premature, and i don't know how he and the team could have fixed that. in LA, he has a clean slate, gets to be just one of the players.

i'm sure LA misses simmonds, but like you said, he isn't a huge fish. who knows what schenn is going to end up being, but in any case, he wasn't going to be particularly helpful to the kings any time soon. the flyers are in a spot where they can wait for him, LA needed help right now.

i call the deal win/win, really. i kinda wish a high end roster player could have come back for richards, but the flyers look like they have a pretty full toolbox right now...so i don't think they were hurt by his loss.

Can't argue with anything you said. As much hate as Richards took on the other board in his last year, he got just as much love for the better part of his career (I mean after he got the hate for not being a superstar coming out of the gate) I doubt Schenn comes near Richards level defensively, and likely won't offensively for at least a couple years. Simmonds has been good some games, bad others. Kings should win this trade over the next 4 years or so. Hopefully we win in the long term, or at least draw)

Yes they should be happy with Richards, he helped them win 2 games (openner and against us). I think the trade works out well for both teams so far. Would we be where we are at with Richards still here? Would we be a team struggling like the last 2 month of the last season? Who knows but our team looks good for now and hopefully Simmonds and Schenn work out great for us.

richards in philly was damaged....the leadership role he was given was premature, and i don't know how he and the team could have fixed that.

I agree they mishandled and mismanaged him. They should've given the C to Timonen (or Briere) and let Richards just focus on just playing hockey. Richards proved to be a lousy captain, but that's hardly his fault... He just didn't appear to be ready.

With that been said, things I heard on the radio about him really took me aback... We, fans, had no clue what was going on behind the scenes. Apparently, Richards, on many occasions, was an absolute asshole to some of his teammates and coaching staff. I heard Snider could not stand Mike and was directly involved in shipping him and Carter. Both players - again, based on what I heard - represented everything Snider hates about a player and a person. He vowed last summer that Richards and Carter played their last game wearing O&B this spring. If what I heard is even remotely true, Mike is just not a good guy and he really dog himself a hole here.

I agree they mishandled and mismanaged him. They should've given the C to Timonen (or Briere) and let Richards just focus on just playing hockey. Richards proved to be a lousy captain, but that's hardly his fault... He just didn't appear to be ready.

With that been said, things I heard on the radio about him really took me aback... We, fans, had no clue what was going on behind the scenes. Apparently, Richards, on many occasions, was an absolute asshole to some of his teammates and coaching staff. I heard Snider could not stand Mike and was directly involved in shipping him and Carter. Both players - again, based on what I heard - represented everything Snider hates about a player and a person. He vowed last summer that Richards and Carter played their last game wearing O&B this spring. If what I heard is even remotely true, Mike is just not a good guy and he really dog himself a hole here.

Not to open a can of worms but out of curiosity, can you tell me what you heard?

Not to open a can of worms but out of curiosity, can you tell me what you heard?

Heard that Richards created a coalition in the locker room to surround himself with allies. You can guess who those guys were... He had a total disregard for authority, including older players. The collapse at the end of the season and against the Bruins - when we were all trying to figure out what exactly happened - was attributable exactly to that division.

Richards and Carter were asked to stop partying and drinking, and flat out refused. Richards went as far as telling Laviolette to go screw himself. He also protected Carter all along while that was happening trying to shield him from any criticism.

Finally, he refused to be involved in any charities, and Snider absolutely despises that in players.

All in all, when trying to paint a picture of Richards - and to a lesser degree Carter - it ain't pretty. It really sounds like he is a first-class jerk who only cares about himself...

Again, this is just what’s been discussed on the radio by someone who is supposedly very close to the Flyers.

For his sake, I hope he turns it around in LA because when he's focused, he's an awesome player. I don't think he was going to turn it around in Philly any more. I'm sure they gave him his chances, and he blew them. It all started when he decided to freeze out the media around the time Lupul was gonna play his first game back in Philly since being traded. Remember that? I think Tim Panaccio asked him about the partying rumours (which was a legitimate line of questioning because Homer was quoted in the media as saying it was a problem), and Richards didn't like it, so froze out the media.

If there's no truth to any of it, why react like a petulant child? Why not man up, and admit your mistakes? Bottom line, he handled himself almost exactly unlike a captain and a leader should.

BUT, for right now, I think we lose out on that trade. Luckily, we got a double bonus with the Carter trade. He's the injured one, and we have two good, young productive players on the roster. Kinda evens things out... for now. Long term, I think we come out on top.

Heard that Richards created a coalition in the locker room to surround himself with allies. You can guess who those guys were... He had a total disregard for authority, including older players. The collapse at the end of the season and against the Bruins - when we were all trying to figure out what exactly happened - was attributable exactly to that division.

Richards and Carter were asked to stop partying and drinking, and flat out refused. Richards went as far as telling Laviolette to go screw himself. He also protected Carter all along while that was happening trying to shield him from any criticism.

Finally, he refused to be involved in any charities, and Snider absolutely despises that in players.

All in all, when trying to paint a picture of Richards - and to a lesser degree Carter - it ain't pretty. It really sounds like he is a first-class jerk who only cares about himself...

Again, this is just what’s been discussed on the radio by someone who is supposedly very close to the Flyers.

One day I hope we hear the whole complete story. It's kind of fascinating to me. This kid comes in and is looked at as Clarke jr and given the keys to the kingdom. In a few short years, he falls from grace and is gone. To me it's amazing.

One day I hope we hear the whole complete story. It's kind of fascinating to me. This kid comes in and is looked at as Clarke jr and given the keys to the kingdom. In a few short years, he falls from grace and is gone. To me it's amazing.

I know. And that's what leads to me to suspect that something huge must've happened. Or it may be as simple as the Flyers just overestimated Mike's abilities to lead on and off the ice.

Wow, if true, makes Lindros look like an angel. Allot of people do not realize all the charity work that Lindros did and the hours he spent at CHOP (Childrens Hospital of Philadelphia).

I am a bit stunned to read this. Despite never meeting the guy, his time in Juniors (as noted by FC and Jammer) and watching him play in WJHC, he was every bit an affable guy, leader and genuinely nice person.

I am a bit stunned to read this.

So am I, VF, as I am sure most of the people. As has been noted, the Flyers had a compeltely different vision of Richards' future here when they turned the keys to the team to him. At really looks like they didn't know him at all and his true colors started coming out much later.

I heard one day the Flyers players went on some tour to downtown Philly and players started giving money away to a group of homeless. Richards refused and said something like, "Why don't they go get a ******* job... what a bunch of losers". And that left most of his teammates just speachless.

Oh no. Serious?

I'm afraid we're at that point with Richards where the mere accusation is proof of guilt. It's a damn shame it came to this. He is everything - on the ice - you want in a hockey player except on those (fairly rare) occasions when he "took the night off" and skated in mud. Then he wasn't much better than an average top 9 guy. But the rest of the time he was an absolute beast to play against.

I find it hard to believe he is that much of a dick. I mean who hasn't made fun of the homeless, or drug addicts or whoever at one point or another? Making fun of someone doesn't necessarily mean it comes from the heart. Maybe he was just trying to be funny and the joke didn't land. Who knows?

Anyway...damn shame he's gone but obviously it's for the better - for everyone.