Hitchcock Is The New St Louis Blues Coach

Guest AlaskaFlyerFan

The Blues groomed Payne for this job. He was the head coach for the Alaska Aces and won the Kelley Cup in the 05-06 season. They also won the Brabham Cup (ECHL's President's trophy). He was promoted to Peoria Rivermen as their head coach and eventually moved up to the Blues. They spent a lot of time grooming him to fire him this early in the season.

the more i see and hear about hitch the less i like him, now i know this is coming from mike milbury who has his head up his ass 3/4 of the time but he had a point when he was on hockey night asking what hitch was doing at the nhl clubs practices when he's supposed to be the "developmental guy" and further what the hell was columbus thinking putting that guy in charge of young players.

beyond halak and jackman i don't know much about the st louis roster but if i remember last year the roster was full of young guys. hey i hope the guy can teach the kids how to play a good two way game since that's his forte but, man his behavior the last couple of weeks has been weird, unless he's been scouting columbus to raid the cupboards.

the more i see and hear about hitch the less i like him, now i know this is coming from mike milbury who has his head up his ass 3/4 of the time but he had a point when he was on hockey night asking what hitch was doing at the nhl clubs practices when he's supposed to be the "developmental guy" and further what the hell was columbus thinking putting that guy in charge of young players.

beyond halak and jackman i don't know much about the st louis roster but if i remember last year the roster was full of young guys. hey i hope the guy can teach the kids how to play a good two way game since that's his forte but, man his behavior the last couple of weeks has been weird, unless he's been scouting columbus to raid the cupboards.

Hey Mojo- Kind of talking out of both sides aren't you. You ask what was he doing at NHL Clubs practices when he is the "developmental guy", but then lambaste him as being horrible with young players.

He was a consultant for Columbus and as I understand it in a very limited capacity (mostly to get his payday- perhaps something in his coaching contract).

Secondly, say what you want, but I don't get the "bad with young players rap". I mean there are two schools of coaches by and large. Hard asses and coddlers. Rarely do you see inbetween (perhaps lavy is, but I lean towards the former more).

My point being that Hitch is a great x / o guy and knows the game very well. If you are going to have a knock on him, perhaps it is his defensive first style. He wants everyone to be accountable Redline in. Many do not like it, because they want to let the offensive guys go.

Yet, I would put any amount of money down that if we had a player like Kovulchuk on our team, there would be non-stop whining about his defensive game (or complete lack of). This is why everyone likes Coutier so much so far. At 18 years old he plays all three zones extremely soundly and has an innate ability to see things that most his age (an older) do not.

Hey Vanflyer,

i don't know if its talking out both sides to say he's not been great with young players so why is he the developmental guy ? unless the reason columbus is so sad sack is because they wait until player get to the nhl to be delveloped... i also wasn't totally clear with all that douchey millbury had to say either. you have to admit that it is odd for the ex-coach to be around the big club after he's been " promoted out of the job" right, it seems as if he's standing over the new guys shoulder you know ? I've been on record saying i didn't like hitch because he burried patrick sharp at the end of his bench, and everyone knew that guy had potential... i never disputed his x's and o's just the guy's motives and intentions. any way water under the bridge he's got a new gig . i hope we beat him if our teams ever meet for meaningful play.

Hey Mojo-

Fair enough. I kind of did not get the hanging around the team thing either, yet we really don't know what his "consultant" role was. The patrick sharp thing is definitely a thorn. Wasnt there also issues with Justin Williams? I guess in the end, I just see him as being a very strict hard ass coach and if you get in his dog house, sometimes its hard to get out.

Like you said, he has a new gig, so it water over the bridge.

I wonder if Maker is going to move to St Louis. :rolleyes:

Hi......

I never liked Hitchcock. To me, he's one of these guys with a three year gig. He employs a variation of some kind of defensive "system". Cultivates a couple of the veterans, and squeezes a respectable record out. It's a short term tactic. He doesn't take advantage of the skills of players who aren't compatible with that rigid style. It's easier for older players to adapt to fixed duties. Therefore, he uses older players more, and young kids with flair and skill sit and watch. Or get traded.

Good coaches fit their game to the talent on the team. Any coach that is so hide bound that he can't utilize diverse talents will cause damage in the long run. Sharp is a great example. I watched him in college, and it was obvious he had it. He goes to the Flyers, and is alternately raved and reviled. He didn't learn to play hockey on the plane to Chicago. Patrick had the same NHL abilities when he was here. It's just that Hitchcock, for whatever reason, wasn't able to utilize his skills.