Flyers vs Penguins - ECQF Game #1 - 7:30pm

Guest Digityman

Game #1 Result  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins game #1?

• Flyers
    • Penguins

PREVIEW 6:30 AM EDT

For teams like the Philadelphia Flyers and Pittsburgh Penguins, the success or failure of a season is judged on what they do in the playoffs rather than the regular season. In one of the toughest first-round playoff clashes in recent memory, the clubs with the second- and third-best records in the Eastern Conference will square off right off the bat.

Tonight's game in Pittsburgh starts at 7:30 p.m. EDT and will be broadcast locally on CSN Philly and nationally on NBC Sports Network.

The Flyers went 4-2-0 in the regular season series against Pittsburgh. That has little to no bearing on the impending playoff matchup, beyond the fact that Philly enters with confidence that the team can come back on the Penguins should Pittsburgh take the lead in any given game.

In the first meeting (home) of the regular season, the Flyers roared out to a 3-0 lead and then held on to win 3-2. In the second game in Pittsburgh, the Penguins scored first but the Flyers surged to ultimately win, 4-2. The third game in Philly saw the Pens go out to a 1-0 lead, the Flyers rebound for a 2-1 lead (behind two closely spaced goals by Jaromir Jagr), the momentum seesaw to a 3-3 tie after two periods and then Pittsburgh control the final stanza for a 6-4 win.

The teams also played three times down the stretch. The next game in Philadelphia saw the Penguins take a 2-0 lead into the third period only for the Flyers to rally to tie the game on goals by Wayne Simmonds and Scott Hartnell and then win it in the final second of overtime on a Hartnell goal. In the chippiest game of the season series, played April 1 in Pittsburgh, the Pens again jumped out to a 2-0 lead only to see the Flyers come back for five unanswered goals before Philly skated off with a 6-4 win.

The final game of the regular season, April 7 in Pittsburgh, had no bearing on the final standings. The Penguins had already wrapped up home ice in the impending series by virtue of their four more shootout victories giving the club enough points to offset Philly's advantage of one more regulation/OT win. In the game itself, the Penguins took leads of 1-0 and 2-1. The Flyers twice came back to tie the score before goals by Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin sealed the victory for the Pens.

Goaltending is paramount in any playoff series. Ilya Bryzgalov had a frustratingly uneven regular season and is currently nursing a chip fracture in his right foot, but he closed out the stretch drive by winning NHL First Star of the Month honors in March and playing well in his final start (second game after his return from the foot injury). Pittsburgh's Marc-Andre Fleury had the more consistent season of the two goalies.

For the Flyers, apart from the goaltending, it all comes down to gap control, puck management and scoring depth. Malkin and Crosby are the two biggest individual "superstar names" in the series, with Claude Giroux third. But the playoffs are about attrition and depth, not just big names. Both clubs are very deep through their top lines but Philly's scoring depth runs about nine players deep in terms of guys who can be the difference makers in any given game.

Discipline is also paramount. The Flyers need to be aggressive and yet avoid offensive zone penalties and retaliatory stick/roughing infractions. That is easier said than done, especially in the first game of a series. Philly and Pittsburgh both clicked on power plays at a 19.7 percent rate during the regular season but the Penguins were the better penalty killing team. Both clubs also have several shorthanded scoring threats.

On the injury front, the Flyers will be without James van Riemsdyk (foot surgery) at least until the latter part of this series if it goes six or seven games. Andrej Meszaros (back surgery) is still several weeks away from being able to return. In a somewhat surprising move, Peter Laviolette's practice lineup this week had rookie Marc-Andre Bourdon and veteran Andreas Lilja starting over veteran Pavel Kubina.

PROJECTED LINEUPS (subject to change)

FLYERS

Hartnell - Giroux - Jagr

Schenn - Briere - Simmonds

Talbot - Couturier - Voracek

Wellwood - Read - Rinaldo

Carle - Timonen

Grossmann - Coburn

Lilja - Bourdon

Bryzgalov

[bobrovsky]

PENGUINS

Kunitz - Malkin - Neal

Sullivan - Crosby - Dupuis

Cooke - Staal - Kennedy

Adams - Vitale - Asham

Martin - Letang

Orpik - Michalek

Strait - Engelland

Fleury

[Johnson]

Meltzer

From what I read, Kubina's so-so play is what's keeping him out of the top 6 tonight.....still like to have that right handed shot from the point. Lilja is no better than average at best, IMO

they actually think Lila is better than Kubina..wtf..put Gus in there..

they actually think Lila is better than Kubina..wtf..put Gus in there..

I tend to agree. Kubina has not looked very good lately, including very slow of foot. And I assume they want size and experience and Lilja has both of those over Gus. Otherwise you'd have an all-rookie 3rd pairing of Gus and Bourdon, which I don't think is ideal.

I tend to agree. Kubina has not looked very good lately, including very slow of foot. And I assume they want size and experience and Lilja has both of those over Gus. Otherwise you'd have an all-rookie 3rd pairing of Gus and Bourdon, which I don't think is ideal.

wouldn't having a rookie 3rd pairing go along with the theme of the team? these kids can play...

wouldn't having a rookie 3rd pairing go along with the theme of the team? these kids can play...

I'd be okay with it, since its great experience that will serve them well in the long run. And I love Gus, you know that. But the gaining of experience, particularly on D, often comes with mistakes, some of which end up in the net. So, I can understand why Lavy would go with a vet. And Bourdon has outplayed Gus down the stretch. He's great actually.

I'd be okay with it, since its great experience that will serve them well in the long run. And I love Gus, you know that. But the gaining of experience, particularly on D, often comes with mistakes, some of which end up in the net. So, I can understand why Lavy would go with a vet. And Bourdon has outplayed Gus down the stretch. He's great actually.

I agree Bourdon has played really well.. I would expect when the game gets tight Lavy will shorten his bench to 4 dmen anyway...which he did mostly during the cup run in 2010

@orange_crush

I would rather have to Modry, Kukkonen, Parent, Bartulis, Vaananen, Tollefsen and Picard before that scrub Lilja.

Do not mention the name "Modry" in this forum again.

Worst. Flyers. Playoff. Defenseman. Ever. Period.

Give me 6 Lilja's rather than that scrub.

nice job by Bourdon giving up on the play when he kept the puck inside the Penguins zone while the crowd was screaming offside. Literally just coughed up the puck thinking it was offside, and led to the 2 on 1.

Fleury is making (damn good) saves, why can't Bryz???