ECQF Game #2 - Flyers vs Penguins

Guest Digityman

Game #2 Winner  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins game #2?

A couple videos to get you ready.

PREVIEW 7:00 AM EDT

Looking to take a 2-0 lead in their Eastern Conference Quarterfinal series with the Pittsburgh Penguins, the Flyers would be well served to break their habit of falling behind early and needing comebacks to win games.

Philly's recovery from a 3-0 deficit in Game 1 -- not to mention numerous comebacks against Pittsburgh and other top clubs in the regular season -- proved yet again that they are never out of a game. Nevertheless, a club can only go to the well so many times.

Winning Game 1 of a series bodes well for a team because it mathematically means the losing side is forced to win two games in a row at some point if it is to advance. Of course, this current Penguins team remains every bit as capable of winning the series as the Flyers do. One game really is just that in such an evenly matched series.

On Wednesday night, the Penguins came out with breakneck speed in the first period, dictating both the territorial advantage and the physical play for the first 12 minutes or so. The Flyers were unable to weather the storm, falling into a 2-0 hole that became 3-0 on a fluky last-minute goal that started with a blown icing call.

Tonight, the Penguins are going to try to throw a similar blitz at Philly early in the game. The Flyers need to maintain a tight forward-to-D gap, with plenty of puck support. Avoiding turnovers from the defensive slot out to the offensive blueline is a must. Even in the second period of Game 1, the Flyers were guilty of some low-percentage decision making that led to odd-man rushes for the Penguins.

Philly cannot play with fire like that again. If a single one of those post-first period Pittsburgh outnumbered rushes had been converted into a goal, we would talking today about Philly trying to salvage a split tonight rather than trying to bring the series back to Philadelphia with a 2-0 advantage.

Neither Evgeni Malkin's line nor the Claude Giroux line was much of a factor on Wednesday. That needs to change for both teams, while both the Sidney Crosby and Danny Briere lines will look to continue their excellence from the opener. Brayden Schenn in particular was a force for Philly in the first game, and Briere showed once again why he is the NHL's leading playoff goal scorer since the 2004-05 lockout.

Beyond that, the Flyers need to hit the same notes they did over the latter 63 minutes of the game. They played a tremendous game on special teams, and need to continue that in Game 2. Ilya Bryzgalov had little to no chance on either of the first two Pittsburgh goals (the third one was kind of a funky one) and settled in very nicely thereafter.

The Flyers lost defenseman Marc-Andre Bourdon to an upper-body injury in Game 1. As of now, it looks like semi-healthy veteran defenseman Pavel Kubina will be back in the lineup. Defenseman Matt Niskanen is not expected to be ready to play for Pittsburgh.

PROJECTED LINEUPS

FLYERS

Hartnell - Giroux - Jagr

Schenn - Briere - Simmonds

Talbot - Couturier - Voracek/Rinaldo

Wellwood - Read - Rinaldo/Voracek

Carle - Timonen

Grossmann - Coburn

Lilja - Kubina

Bryzgalov

[bobrovsky]

PENGUINS

Kunitz - Malkin - Neal

Sullivan - Crosby - Dupuis

Cooke - Staal - Kennedy

Adams - Vitale - Asham

Martin - Letang

Orpik - Michalek

Lovejoy - Engelland

Fleury

[Johnson]

The NHL's Colin Campbell officially apologized to the Penguins for the obvious blown offside call that led to Briere's first goal of the game. I have no problem with that.

However, the Flyers are still awaiting their apology (or at least plausible explanation) for the blown first-period icing call. Oh and while the NHL is an apologetic mood, Philadelphia's wait for a league apology is now 22 years and counting for the non-calls on Denis Potvin's blatantly high-sticked goal and even more blatant offside committed on Brent Sutter's goal in Game 6 of the 1980 Stanley Cup Final.

The truth of the matter is that the non-calls in Game 1 ultimately evened out. Officials are human, too, and there are inevitably numerous other points within the game that contribute to a win or a loss.

Meltzer
  • Like 1

@sarsippius

I know it was only game #1 out of a possible 7, and yes I know the Flyers still have a long series ahead of them, but I honestly think we are in the Pens heads right now. Think about it. We have spotted the Pens 2 and 3 goal leads in how many games and have come back and won. So they say the playoffs are different, with a different emotional level and you know what ...the Flyers fought back and won the game in OT. I might also add that 2 out 3 goals the Pens scored were crap goals. Only Kennedy's goal was legit and even that one I thought Bryz had a chance to save. The Pens have to be thinking..how the h ell do we stop these guys?? No matter what we do, they (Flyers) keep coming back on us. So yes, I really like the Flyers chances tonight.

Outside of Crybaby / Frankenmalkinstein / Fleury....they really do not have the depth the Flyers do. Of course I will stick with the motto..take it one game at a time and one period of a time...but I already see seeds of doubt with the Pens. This series is by no means over, BUT I really do like our chances especially if they go in there tonight and get yet another win in their new barn. As Hannibal Smith from the A-Team used to say..."I Love It when a plan comes together!" :)

Edited by pilldoc
  • Like 1

@pilldoc

If that seed wasn't planted in the regular season, it certainly was planted in game 1. But this come from behind stuff will come back to bite them in the a**, need to come out flying tonight and not let the Pens start feeling good about themselves....because I really do think you're right, the Flyers are in the heads and need to stay there

And that Hannibal quote is one of my favorites, I used to use that one in my youth every time we survived yet another ill-advised attempt to cheat death!

• Like 1

Despite the fact that Doc Emrick and Pierre will be wearing Penguins lapel pins on their suits and Bettman will be sitting next to the doosh bag that thinks he is Hulk Hogan, the Flyers will prevail. Colin Campbell will then release a statement after the game saying all officials that worked the game have been relieved of their duties.

And that Hannibal quote is one of my favorites, I used to use that one in my youth every time we survived yet another ill-advised attempt to cheat death!

I prefer a different Hannibal quote:

"A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti."

• Like 1

The choke is on.

Flyers win game #2.

Giroux, Hartnell, & Jagr go off tonight.

. . .and Malkin finally snaps as Coutourier draws a huge penalty that seals the win for the Flyers.

. . .and Crosby cries.

. . .new Knock, Knock shirt. for the Flyers.

@pilldoc

If that seed wasn't planted in the regular season, it certainly was planted in game 1. But this come from behind stuff will come back to bite them in the a**, need to come out flying tonight and not let the Pens start feeling good about themselves....because I really do think you're right, the Flyers are in the heads and need to stay there

@sarsippius

totally agree. this giving up 2 foals before we even settle down has got to stop. We need to go up by 2 goals in the 1st for a change and keep their fans sitting on their hands and their mouths shut. Maybe they are just toying with the Pends.....here have your 1 or 2 goals...we are just gonna come on back and win the game regardles. ;) (shakes my head...nah) Seriously stop with giving the Pens an early lead. I don't think the Pens come back from an early 2 or 3 game deficit like the Flyers do. Just my opinion.

I prefer a different Hannibal quote:

"A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti."

lol.. if we are quoting some of his best here are few I like also:

• Next time you think you want to take someone out, don't get yourself a good squad. Get yourself a team.
  • See, I was the kid who always liked waiting on Christmas Eve even more than I liked opening the presents the next morning. But the next morning when I started rippin', I started rippin'!

I think the Pens almost view this as a must win game and play desperate hockey tonight and find a way to win this one. Hope I'm wrong.

By all means it is must win game for them. They cannot go down 2-0 to the Flyers (I hope they do though). To lose the first 2 games at home would be absolutely dishearting to them. I think you are right..the Pens come out flying..especially in the first 10 min of game. The Flyers have to whither the storm. I think if the Flyers can get an early lead....that shadow of doubt will keep growing in the Pens heads. I think Bryz stands tall and will be a brick wall. He made some incredible saves Wed. night to keep the Flyers close.

lol.. if we are quoting some of his best here are few I like also:

• Next time you think you want to take someone out, don't get yourself a good squad. Get yourself a team.
  • See, I was the kid who always liked waiting on Christmas Eve even more than I liked opening the presents the next morning. But the next morning when I started rippin', I started rippin'!

I think we're talking about different Hannibals here...

"On a similar note I must confess to you, I'm giving very serious thought... to eating your wife."

"You see, the brain itself feels no pain if that concerns you, Clarice."

"Now you're being rude, and I hate rude people."

@JACK

I'm going back to the origanal Hannibal from the early 80's TV series A-Team...lol..yes I'm showing my age. I used to love watching that show.

you might be refering to the 2010 Movie A-Team

No, a different Hannibal entirely, "Hannibal the Cannibal":

Hopkins.jpg