Lavi:?

Guest The Quigster

All these talented forwards and Lavi still doesn't know what to do with them. The top line plays against the other teams best checking lines against them and then what? JVR has one of the hottest slapshots in the league,Lavi can't get it in the game,even Jagr thought JVR should spend more time in the slot.Has anybody wondered why JVR doesn't take faceoffs? When he races down,takes a shot on net and skates behind the net,instead of to the net,maybe pick up a rebound? Even on the top line,Jagr:Hall of Famer,Superstar feeding Giroux and Hartnell pucks. Whats Lavi thinking? He seems not to appreciate hard working,in your face (typical Flyers) players. Lavi's ability or inability is holding these guys back from what should be a super team! Q

I disagree. I don't think lavy is the problem. Actually when it comes to the forward group I don't see many problems. Sure, some players could pick it up (JVR, Simmonds, voracek) but that is the flow of the NHL regular season. Hot streaks and cold streaks.

You will have your consistent point producers (Giroux, Pronger, Briere) and you will have guys that will frustrate you due to streaks (Read, JVR, Voracek, Simmonds, Jagr, basically everyone).

JVR does crash the net, but again his playing style and aggressivenes will fluctuate and probably be relational to his point production (i.e hot streaks). This is normal for most players. I do not put too much emphasis on a game to game basis. 82 games is ALOT of games, to be able to have the determination, concentration, and focus to play up to your best ability EVERY game is too much to ask for in my book.....no I rather players follow the same path as Briere and Pronger....play good and smart hockey during the regular season and pump it up in the playoffs (and of course during key regular season games/stretches)

We are fine....defense on the other hand ayayay

Where he *did* fail is to get a consistent effort out of JVR. Certainly, JVR himself is a bigger culprit, but a mark of a good coach is to be able to get the most out of a player's abilities and maximize on his potentials, especially your 2nd overall pick.

I also blame the mess our defense is on him as well. No way the defensive corps that talanted should be struggling that badly and look like a bunch of rookies.

I like Laviolette and think highly of him as a coach, but something seems off this year.

Edited by Mad Dog

Where he *did* fail is to get a consistent effort out of JVR. Certainly, JVR himself is a bigger culprit, but a mark of a good coach is to be able to get the most out of a player's abilities and maximize on his potentials, especially your 2nd overall pick.

I also blame the mess our defense is on him as well. No way the defensive corps that talanted should be struggling that badly and look like a bunch of rookies.

I like Laviolette and think highly of him as a coach, but something seems off this year.

But we've been poor defensively ever since he's been here. It's a result of his aggressive attack system that has all 3 forwards deep in the offensive zone, and when in the defensive zone, they bolt on offense as soon as one of our guys touches the puck, regardless of whether or not it can be passed up/taken out of the zone safely.

We had less talented personnel under Stevens and were better defensively.\

But we've been poor defensively ever since he's been here. It's a result of his aggressive attack system that has all 3 forwards deep in the offensive zone, and when in the defensive zone, they bolt on offense as soon as one of our guys touches the puck, regardless of whether or not it can be passed up/taken out of the zone safely. We had less talented personnel under Stevens and were better defensively.\

Would Stevens had taken us to the Finals? I think not, I don't blame it all on Lavy. It's the players that makes the decisions out there. What can he do when they play soft like not taking the bodies or clearing the crease? How about clearing the puck right up the middle without looking. I don't think any coaches teaches that. You would think Carle and Coburn should be playing there asses off in their contract years but they are the main culprits with bonehead plays night after night.

What can he do when they play soft like not taking the bodies or clearing the crease? How about clearing the puck right up the middle without looking. I don't think any coaches teaches that. You would think Carle and Coburn should be playing there asses off in their contract years but they are the main culprits with bonehead plays night after night.

This is the most glarring issue I see thus far with this team. Exiting our zone cleanly or even just getting the puck out! Not all the blame falls on the defense though. I see some forward players standing around and not moving their feet. I see some leaving the zone way too early. It's difficult to make that first outlet pass when some forwards aren't swinging or are out of position. I'm sure this will get better, but you're right.....sending the puck up the middle is a hockey no-no!

But we've been poor defensively ever since he's been here.

I don't know if I completely agree with that, Bre. The year this team went to the Finals to play Chicago, the D played more responsible. Especially in that famous series against Boston, it really the Flyers' defense that allowed them to come back from the 3-games deficit.

You are right in a sense that Laviolette's style is playing a more wide-open hockey, which inevitably leads to exposure at the blue line. But I don't recall such glaring issues with defense that I am seeing now: leaving an open man hanging around the crease, not being able to clear the puck, constant miscommunication issues, etc., etc.... Did Coburn, Timonen, and Carle suddenly get worse? I don't think it's the style; it's something else. What it is - I have no idea.

Would Stevens had taken us to the Finals? I think not, I don't blame it all on Lavy. It's the players that makes the decisions out there. What can he do when they play soft like not taking the bodies or clearing the crease? How about clearing the puck right up the middle without looking. I don't think any coaches teaches that. You would think Carle and Coburn should be playing there asses off in their contract years but they are the main culprits with bonehead plays night after night.

I always thought Stevens was too soft on the players, and never really liked him as a coach. But, like him or not, he did take us to the ECF.

As for the players being responsible on the ice for their boneheaded plays, of course it's their fault. I think we just need to accept that a Laviolette coached team will not be as defensively responsible as others. They will make those kinds of defensive mistakes in trying to execute the agressive, quick-transition play.

I don't know if I completely agree with that, Bre. The year this team went to the Finals to play Chicago, the D played more responsible. Especially in that famous series against Boston, it really the Flyers' defense that allowed them to come back from the 3-games deficit.

You are right in a sense that Laviolette's style is playing a more wide-open hockey, which inevitably leads to exposure at the blue line. But I don't recall such glaring issues with defense that I am seeing now: leaving an open man hanging around the crease, not being able to clear the puck, constant miscommunication issues, etc., etc.... Did Coburn, Timonen, and Carle suddenly get worse? I don't think it's the style; it's something else. What it is - I have no idea.

Was it really our defense? Or the anemic Boston offense, which was already short Savard (for most of it) and then lost Krejci? Montreal was also poor on offense.

Our defense was completely exposed against Chicago.

Was it really our defense? Or the anemic Boston offense, which was already short Savard (for most of it) and then lost Krejci? Montreal was also poor on offense.

Our defense was completely exposed against Chicago.

I would say both. Boston players didn't help themselves, but I thought games 4 and 6 were where our defense really played near-perfect games.

I agree about the Chicago series, but remember, in that series we had players like Bartulis, Lukas Krajicek and Parent. Parent, particualry, was God awful, which made Homer go out and bring Meszaros. That was just not a good defensive unit. Timonen and Pronger were burdened with playing ridiculous mintues and were burned out.

No way this defense should struglle so badly even without Pronger. On paper, these are good players.

Edited by Mad Dog

I would say both. Boston players didn't help themselves, but I thought games 4 and 6 were where our defense really played near-perfect games.

I agree about the Chicago series, but remember, in that series we had players like Bartulis, Lukas Krajicek and Parent. Parent, particualry, was God awful, which made Homer go out and bring Meszaros. That was just not a good defensive unit. Timonen and Pronger were burdened with playing ridiculous mintues and were burned out.

No way this defense should struglle so badly even without Pronger. On paper, these are good players.

I agree that the players on defense we have now are much better. But why are they playing nearly as poorly in their own zone? Sure, we might lead the league in goals for, but we're also 2nd or 3rd worst in goals against.

And in the playoffs, defense wins Cups. When Laviolette won with Carolina, Cam Ward caught lightning in a bottle. But I don't know enough about that Carolina team to say whether or not the team defense was as confused as it is here.

I don't blame him for the defense so much. They really just aren't as good as people want to believe.

I think Lavy's system (hard checking in offensive zone) is opened a lot ice for other team and big gap between D-man and forwards, making Flyers easy valuable to score a goal. The faster teams like Caps and Montreal showed it couple weeks ago. And I think due our slow skating D-man, it's not working very well for long run.

I think Lavy's system (hard checking in offensive zone) is opened a lot ice for other team and big gap between D-man and forwards, making Flyers easy valuable to score a goal. The faster teams like Caps and Montreal showed it couple weeks ago. And I think due our slow skating D-man, it's not working very well for long run.

Excactly, which is why we're typically exposed by teams like Tampa Bay and Washington.

Excactly, which is why we're typically exposed by teams like Tampa Bay and Washington.

So who (i think fast skating D-man) would you add to me team? May be couple names who would a good fit and salary as well.

So who (i think fast skating D-man) would you add to me team? May be couple names who would a good fit and salary as well.

Oh, I don't think there's anything wrong with the players we have. Guaranteed that if someone like Lemaire, Hitch, Murray/Stevens is in charge of this team, we all of a sudden learn how to be defensively responsible (at the expense of some offense).

But when Laviolette *does* get fired, I'm sure his replacement will be Tocchet ;)

DISCLAIMER: I'm not saying Laviolette is anywhere near getting fired, just that if one thing is certain about coaches, it's that they will eventually get fired.

It is this and they are mistake-prone. There are a lot of errors committed by the blueliners that have nothing to do with lazy forwards and gap coverage.