Players Confidence (Bryz)

Guest SoCalFlyfan

The biggest issue this team faces for the next 50 years with Bryz in net is the 'confidence' (or lack thereof) our players will have knowing he's back there every night in outer space. I look at the teams remaining and if I'm a player on that team I'm confident we can win any given night. Sure, things happen, goalies have a bad night, but for the most part the success of a team depends on the mental makeup and swagger that team carries with them...which is dictated by their confidence in the goalie.

Maybe it's me but when watching the Flyers in the playoffs this year, every shot on net against Bryz almost gave me a heart attack. Any innocent shot on net had a good chance of going in one way or another. I can only imagine how the forwards feel knowing this, not to mention the pressure they must fell to have to put up 5 goals every night, or 'get that goal back' we just gave away about 5 times a game.

Will this team, or the fans ever feel 'confident' with Bryz regardless of the personnel we put in front of him ?

a good and fair question. maybe homer and jagr are right and this was an "adjustment year" could be. In the playoffs he really fought the puck, that's an understatement. He didn't fight through screens, and looked pretty helpless with the puck around his skates, was not following the play well at all, and looked pretty slow because of it. i don't know if those are things that get better once you're used to your surroundings . he played well in march and was in command until his injury, so for me he is a huge question mark, i can see where that could effect the skaters too.

I think he and the team will be fine next year. I did not expect a cup this year. I expected the team to play hard, compete, and experience growing pains, which they have. Next year with some lineup changes is when I expect to make our legitimate run and I expect Bryz to be the man to take us.

In the 2012 playoffs, he is 4th in the number of shots faced. The top 3 are still playing. So Bryz faced more rubber then a stripper at a Secret Service party. Now granted his GAA and Save % should have been better but to me the defense was a big part of our downfall.

I look at Fluery this playoffs. He couldn't stop a beachball but I don't think the Pens lost faith in him. He is still their man. The Flyers need to improve their defense and get more physical to give Bryz better looks at shots, less rebounds because the porch will be cleared and less turnovers in the defensive zone.

The biggest issue this team faces for the next 50 years with Bryz in net is the 'confidence' (or lack thereof) our players will have knowing he's back there every night in outer space. I look at the teams remaining and if I'm a player on that team I'm confident we can win any given night. Sure, things happen, goalies have a bad night, but for the most part the success of a team depends on the mental makeup and swagger that team carries with them...which is dictated by their confidence in the goalie.

Maybe it's me but when watching the Flyers in the playoffs this year, every shot on net against Bryz almost gave me a heart attack. Any innocent shot on net had a good chance of going in one way or another. I can only imagine how the forwards feel knowing this, not to mention the pressure they must fell to have to put up 5 goals every night, or 'get that goal back' we just gave away about 5 times a game.

Will this team, or the fans ever feel 'confident' with Bryz regardless of the personnel we put in front of him ?

I think if you allow clean shots on goal it should bother you..the team needs to get better defensively blocking shots and removing traffic in front of the net...Bryz made a bonehead play game 5 but he's not the reason we lost the series..

"The biggest issue this team faces for the next 50 years with Bryz in net is the 'confidence' (or lack thereof) our players will have knowing he's back there every night in outer space"

Really? The biggest issue?

I think you're way off base.

"The biggest issue this team faces for the next 50 years with Bryz in net is the 'confidence' (or lack thereof) our players will have knowing he's back there every night in outer space"

Do tell.

a good and fair question. maybe homer and jagr are right and this was an "adjustment year" could be. In the playoffs he really fought the puck, that's an understatement. He didn't fight through screens, and looked pretty helpless with the puck around his skates, was not following the play well at all, and looked pretty slow because of it. i don't know if those are things that get better once you're used to your surroundings . he played well in march and was in command until his injury, so for me he is a huge question mark, i can see where that could effect the skaters too.

look at briere... look at hartnell. look at gaborik on the rags and kovy with the debbies. players can take a few years to adapt to a new environment. i'd say it's more common than uncommon. let's just hope he doesn't adapt like scott gomez.

In the 2012 playoffs, he is 4th in the number of shots faced. The top 3 are still playing. So Bryz faced more rubber then a stripper at a Secret Service party. Now granted his GAA and Save % should have been better but to me the defense was a big part of our downfall.

all due respect, but bullsht bullsht bullsht. you are right, he saw the 4th most shots against, and the other 3 are still playing. take a look at how those 4 handled the large shot totals:

braden holtby 428shts 28ga .934sv%

mike smith 400shts 21ga .948sv%

henrick lundqvist 373shts 24ga .936sv%

ilya bryzgalov 326shts 37ga .887sv%

first thing that sticks out is bryzgalov saw more than 100 fewer shots than holtby, but gave up 9 more goals. second thing is the top 3's save percentages (who are, as you pointed out, still playing) are at least .047 better than bryzgalov. third thing is the defensive aces of the NYR are on that list.

looking at those 4, i feel like i'm watching sesame street when they do that "one of these things doesn't belong here" bits, where there's a cat, a dog, a hamster, and a tire iron. bryzgalov and his performance do not belong in the company of the other 3. and, again as you pointed out, the other 3 are still playing. there's a reason for that.

Fundamental skills aside (and even there Bryz is lacking) I'm looking at intangibles like personality, desire, focus, swagger, and saying the right things.

Watch Holtby before a game, he's completely locked in and ready to face the heat. Look at Lundkvist...the epitome of 'cool' under pressure. Mike Smith says all the right things you want your goalie to say and backs it up on the ice. Quick looks more confident than anyone out there and is in the zone. And Brodeur is a proven winner...nothing needs to be said there. All these remaining goalies have all the above intangibles throughout the playoffs so far...and the skills.

Bryz has NONE of these attributes ...but I guess all that matters is he stops the routine shots and hopefully we can outscore the other team. WOW... in that case, Bob Barker, I'll go with Brian Boucher please for $1

I can't even believe people are sticking up for the guy. This isn't house league hockey and poor Johnny got his feelings hurt. The guy was brought in to stabilize our goaltending. He was massively overpaid to do so. And all he's done is thrown it in complete disarray.

I pray to God he comes out next year and plays like he's supposed to. For one, I don't think I can handle watching that bumbling incompetence for another season. For two, if he thought it was tough this year, he's already on most fans bad side.

I just don't see much positive in this guys game. Not in his skill. Not in his hockey sense. Not in his overall confidence. But he can't be as bad next year, can he? Can he?

I hope Lavy grows a pair and has a true open competition for goalie next season. If Bryz earns it, he will at least start the season with a little respect.

That will not happen because Snider and Comcast spent big for this guy and corporate never admits mistakes. Thus, no goalie tryout.

I just want to see the Comcast spin when he faults seriously early next year..

That will not happen because Snider and Comcast spent big for this guy and corporate never admits mistakes. Thus, no goalie tryout.

they just traded 2 guys they gave 10 + yr contracts to before the 3rd year of each last offseason. dont think they have a problem admitting mistakes. they'll do whatever it takes to win. causes problems in team development sometimes.