Go Devils, ugh......

Guest Spinorama

Posted · Hidden by Polaris922, May 27, 2012 - Double post from my phone
Hidden by Polaris922, May 27, 2012 - Double post from my phone

@polais922

The panthers were the worst playoff team this year.

Sure seemed it Mojo but they gave the Devils the biggest challenge so far. Sad isn't it? I understand your thinking though.

Was no malice in the post my friend. Just frustration in how the season turned out for my Pens that equals or could perhaps be even greater than your own simply because you at least made it to round two!

I don't ever accept losing just because the team that beat us went on to win. My point was simply comforting oneself with that thought has holes in its logic, and I look at it from the other end.

My Pens were so strong in the regular season and had a great streak just before the playoffs I seriously thought they could go all the way. I never expected a first round exit. I knew your Flyers would be the toughest challenge in the conference, but it was one I expected to overcome. Now for your boys to lose.... Well apparently our teams weren't what they seemed going into it.

No worries Polaris. I was not interpreting any malice. I was just saying that the frustration you feel may not be on the level of us Flyers fans. The Pens have had a lot more success in recent years. I am sure the Cup in 2009 was very welcome after a 17 year drought. Imagine how we feel after 37 years!!! Especially having come so close so many times. I was too young to remember the first 2 Cups and the Finals loss in 76 but I have personally watched the Flyers go to the Finals 5 times and lose every time! Feeling my pain now?

Feeling my pain now?

From that angle of course... it's always been a rival cry against Flyers fans here in the 'Burgh when the taunting and teasing starts. And every time I hear it said I wince knowing the wounds it must cause for true fans.

From that angle of course... it's always been a rival cry against Flyers fans here in the 'Burgh when the taunting and teasing starts. And every time I hear it said I wince knowing the wounds it must cause for true fans.

We're gonna get to the Holy land someday, I only hope that (A) it happens before I die and (B it happens before the Pens win another so we can even up the Cup tally. ;)

Edited by trevluk

We're gonna get to the Holy land someday, I only hope that (A) it happens before I die and (B it happens before the Pens win another so we can even up the Cup tally. ;)

I've given up on A), I just hope my kids are still around when it finally happens :D

You are right that we, fans, are helpless in the sense that we cannot help the team win. We can't click the fingers, like a magician, and suddenly the team wins. But just about every year after the Flyers exit from the playoffs, a large group of Flyers fans (posters, people on the street, or those who call the local sports radio talk show) talk about how great of a season the team had and comfort themsleves in something: we have a great coach, our leadership is finally addressed, or we have a great group of young players, so we are set for years. And that next year comes, and we are at the same point where we were last year.

And all these years, the management fails to address one position that matters the most: goaltending.

I am not saying let's stop supporting the team. But accepting continuous, unstoppable, never-ending failures is not the way to live.....not for me anyway.

I understand what you're saying, after seeing the Flyers win the cup 37 years ago when I was a youngster, I always thought I'd see more cups as I got older. Being a die-hard Flyers fan like a lot of other fans on here, I don't get excited anymore when they win a series in the playoffs. I told my son the only time I'll get excited about the Flyers winning in the playoffs is when Bettman announces would the Flyers captain please come and get the cup, until then I'll continue to cheer and support but won't get excited about them. As for this finals, I don't want to see Brodeur get another cup or the rest of the Devils for that matter. I'd like to see a team who has never won it, who came into the league the same time the Flyers did and have some ex-Flyers on the team who deserve to win - Gagne, Hextall and Richards.

It gets worse...remember this 'gift'

The Devils will give up a third-round pick in 2011 and one first-rounder — the club's choice — over the next four years. The Devils must let the league know which first-rounder it is forfeiting by the day after the end of that year's Stanley Cup Final.

- http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/nhl/2010-09-13-devils-kovalchuk-fine_N.htm

Bet you NJ chooses to be penalized this season. Ugh. They should have lost last season's pick (4th, Larsson). Dammit!

It gets worse...remember this 'gift'

- http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/nhl/2010-09-13-devils-kovalchuk-fine_N.htm

Bet you NJ chooses to be penalized this season. Ugh. They should have lost last season's pick (4th, Larsson). Dammit!

Blame that on the NHL for leaving it open like that. It's like grounding your daughter then buying her ice cream.

I cannot root for the Devils in any way, shape, or form. Heck I even rooted for the Rangers to beat them.

I would be bothered by seeing Carter holding the Cup but I would be happy for Gags, Richards, and people like Hextall to finally get his ring.

Blame that on the NHL for leaving it open like that. It's like grounding your daughter then buying her ice cream.

Oh, I know (well I don't have kids, and I'm not married, but still). Stupid NHL. Stupid. That punishment doesn't even make any sense! Has something like that EVER happened?

• Like 1

Oh, I know (well I don't have kids, and I'm not married, but still). Stupid NHL. Stupid. That punishment doesn't even make any sense! Has something like that EVER happened?

I think it was the NHL's way of saying "you're a bad boy! but it's okay..."