The case for Carlo Colaiacovo

Guest jammer2

@Phillygrump

I just think we need another low risk (cap) high reward guy. Carlo can play some minutes too (managed 19m a night while playing under Hitchcock). A move like this would put Iyjla in the pressbox most nights until an injury occurs give MAB / Gus 5th /6th opportunities. '

I guess my question would has the ship sailed with the signing of Gervais (or whatever his name is)? While I like the RH shot of Gervais, it seems that he is neither a durable or defensively responsible (though hard to judge when looking at the Tampa / NYI he has played for). When I look at Colaiacov, I see a guy that can step in to a top 4 role when injuries occur and without injuries is more than capable for 16-17 min a night on the 5/6 position.

MAB and Gus will never be tandemed together as a 5/6. I could easily see MAB with a Colaicovo player getting 15-17 minutes a night.

All that said, it will probably cost 2.75 - 3m to get Colaiacovo and he will want 4 ish years. So, we paid .875 to Gervais.

Top 5

Kimmo

Cobourn

Grossmann

Meszarous

Schenn

5-8:

MAB

Gervais / Colaiacovo

Iyjla

Gust.

If the top 5 stay healthy, I guess its okay wtih Gervais. Colaiacovo could have been a very nice addition though. Iyjla is a waist to me at this point.

So, I guess I just wend circular in my conversation. Colaiacovo would not be worth 2.7-3M for his available role on this team.

But I certainly like him allot more than Gervais.

He is known to be fragile, might be too risky.

Risky to the dollars he may want, but he has in fact played more games in the last 4 years (included the past two seasons) than Gervais.

Colaiacovo has averaged 65 games the last 4 years (including the last two). Gervais has averaged 60 the last 4 and only 50 the past two.

So, who is more fragile?

Your point is a good one. For me it comes down to role available. Gervais signed on the cheap. C. will probably want 2m as he had a really good year. I think C is a poor mans Carle. Thats all- and if a top 4 injury occurs, can handle that work load adequately.

Maybe not so much fragile as unlucky. If he stays healthy he could add some much needed physicality to our team.

PG- No offense, but this guy is not physical in the least. He makes Carle look like Chris Pronger.

@Vanflyer

Not that I wouuld mind him, but here is the thing... As much as we were screaming for another d-man, we seem to be set on D.

Timonen, Coburn, Meszaros, Grossman, L Schenn, and Bourdon (I hope).

So if you bring a regular d-man, that means Bourdon goes to the bench, which I really don't want to see. I just feel this is the year for him to make a statement. I may be wrong of course, but for some reason, I just beleive in the kid. That's why I said not resigning Calr was a blessing in disguise. I really don't see the need to another d-man at this point.

@Vanflyer Carlo is always hurt because he's so physical. He hits like a train!! Saw him play many season in Toronto.

Really? I am just going off the statisticians: http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/2853/career;_ylt=AnWiWjx_TRV2XZAvlk3e.uhivLYF

He has 200 career hits. That is nearly a third less than Schenn had for last year.

Guys, I know it's not all about points. I get that, I'm just using a cross comparision in this case.

Checking out the points per game stats of players (specifically d-men) involved in free agency this season. After all, these guys, Carle and Carlo, they are thought of as second tier offensive d-men who run the 2nd pp.

1)Carlo C. career pt average 0.37 asking price 2-3 mill??? not sure here

2)Matt Carle career pt average 0.42 asking price 5-7 mill

3)Ryan Suter career pt average 0.43 asking price 6-7 mill

4)Sami Salo career pt average 0.33 signed for 3.75 mill

If anything, Suter and Salo look worse under this particular microscope because they run the top pp units. But just in terms of pure offense, Carle's extra 0.05 pts per game over Carlo does not look like a nice bang for your buck, offensively speaking alone, of course.

I missed this thread. After what you said, I would definitely go after him. Why didn't we pursue him instead of Gervais???

All I know is he loves to hit in the open ice, seen him lay out many guys that way. He's not a crease clearing snuff the cycle type of hitter, just picks his spots, plays this rambuctious all out game that leads to injuires though.

Timonen, Coburn, Meszaros, Grossman, L Schenn, and Bourdon (I hope).

I get that and agree. For the first time in a long time, the Flyers have money- albeit by accident.

The key to what you list for me is Meszaros and Grossman (both of whom I really like). They are the guys that need to eat some more minutes to help Timonen. I think people are underestimating Schenn. He has had erratic play, but he is no slouch. He was thrown into the lions den in Toronto and was playing 23 minutes a night for stretches of time there.

I guess I would have preferred Colaiacovo over Gervais as the insurance policy. Gervais is 875k cap hit and we probably would had to pay C. 2.7 - 3m.

CC is lefty, Gervais is righty (and cheaper).

Saw and noted that as well. Any of our top four get hurt (knock on wood), what do you do (move Schenn / MAB up) or want a Col. / Gervais to take the place?

P.S. That lack of RH shot drives me crazy with the Flyers!

@doom88 When comparing Gervais to Carlo I see some advantages for CC. First off, his skill set fits what the Flyers need to replace, Carle. Carlo moves the puck better than Gervais, skates better, he gets a lot more points....something that will really be lacking on the Flyers d next year. I agree with the lefty righty thing, but Carlo seems to cover more needs.

@doom88 When comparing Gervais to Carlo I see some advantages for CC. First off, his skill set fits what the Flyers need to replace, Carle. Carlo moves the puck better than Gervais, skates better, he gets a lot more points....something that will really be lacking on the Flyers d next year. I agree with the lefty righty thing, but Carlo seems to cover more needs.

Thus why he came to mind.

I guess it depends on what you think the Flyers are needing most. I think they are trying to fill out 5/6/insurance, not top 4 D. They should save the money and bottom fill with Gervais quite easily. CC I'm not sure fits that train of thought, but again, it depends on what you think the Flyers need. I am fine with a top four drawing from Timonen / Coburn / Meszaros / Grossman / L Schenn. I'd love to see Bourdon as 6, or Gervais if Bourdon starts in the AHL for more TOI.

The team can take the money they're saving, and teach the skaters how to freaking pass to each other successfully. Sometimes, it looked downright disgraceful. They need to stop shooting themselves in the foot more than an above average defender.