Jagr signs with Stars

Guest jkearse123

He has stated a few times this season that at his age he needs to keep moving otherwise he breaks down quickly. I think that may play into his demands for top line minutes. In any case I was surprisingly pleased with his time here (never thought I would ever say that) and wish him well next season...just not against the Flyers! :)

• Like 1

Maybe like some have said he needs to be a star on the top line or at least thought of that way. Even if it's not money it's his ego that needs stroking... Always has been.

And that ego gets $4.5M strokes... It's at the Very Least part of it.

It could also be that Laviolette wasn't prepared to give him a guarantee of playing time - especially after the line shuffle against the Devils. That said, it's not like he was going to start the season on Wellwood's wing on the 4th line. If the Flyers were bringing him back it was to keep the JGH line together.

Was Dallas going to rush out and sign a FA wing to take that top line place? Since Jagr got signed, forwards: Taylor Pyatt, Steve Sullivan, Jake Dowell, Zach Praise, Philippe Dupuis, Ruslan Fedotenko, Kevin Porter, Ryan Stoa.

Any of them taking a spot away from Jaromir Jagr? (let's presume Dallas wasn't jumping into the Praise sweepsteaks at the 11th hour)

OK, in the interest of fairness and discussion, I give you Teemu Selanne signing for $4.5M with the Ducks.

Now, the Ducks are his team, he's playing with Saku Koivu in the last year of both contracts and the Ducks, honestly, aren't seriously challenging for the Cup.

Is a $2M, 40yo, HOF vet on your squad like my Mark Recchi comparison really a $4.5M player in today's market?

Did Jagr's deal set that price for the Ducks and Teemu?

Of course Anaheim ($52M) iwas filrting with the cap floor as well as Dallas was... (The Ducks will also clear a TON of cap room this next off-season and can use the extra space to sign Perry/Getzlaf long-term if they want to).

I'm glad Jagr and Selanne are both still in the NHL. Not sure I'm happy with how their contracts impact the long term finances for the league.