The 2012 Great Britian Summer Olympics Thread...

Guest jammer2

I know it's off topic for the Flyers forum, but it *is* late July, early August. Just thought it would be fun to have a daily back and forth about the different Olympic sports and medals, doping scandals etc. It would be handy to have in the Flyers Forum considering it gets the most traffic. Feel free to move it if ya think it's located incorrectly, I just wanted to hear Flyer fans input on different happenings.

I'll post on the opening ceremony after the USA gets to see it on tape delay, but did think it was pretty cool...but a bit drawn out.

@sarsippius Really? I love the Summer Olympics. If somebody wants to work their whole life to achieve a Gold Medal at any sport, well, I'm gonna watch it with enthusiasm! I find them enthralling, spiced up with whole lot of underdog stories that end up inspiring and re-confirming my faith in humanity.

• Like 2

I know it's off topic for the Flyers forum, but it *is* late July, early August. Just thought it would be fun to have a daily back and forth about the different Olympic sports and medals, doping scandals etc. It would be handy to have in the Flyers Forum considering it gets the most traffic. Feel free to move it if ya think it's located incorrectly, I just wanted to hear Flyer fans input on different happenings.

I'll post on the opening ceremony after the USA gets to see it on tape delay, but did think it was pretty cool...but a bit drawn out.

So far so good on the opening ceremonies. Not expecting what we saw in China but creative. Rowan Atkinson is always funny.

I'd do some stuff to Lolo Jones and Alex Morgan. ;)

The opening ceremony is pretty ridiculous so far. During the children's storybook portion it is crazy Tolkien's characters got snubbed. I mean if they throw out the villian Voldemort (sp?) from Harry Potter they could at least match it with Gandalf from Lord of the Rings.

@B21

I'd do some stuff to Lolo Jones and Alex Morgan.

I'd rather the Greek triple jumper they kicked out for making a "racist" tweet.

I liked the smokestack thing also. The whole thing was pretty visually stunning. Won't give away anymore till you guys get a chance to view it. The Opening ceremonies are usually pretty entertaining. It's all one-up-manship, with each nation trying to out do the previous host. Makes for some innovative displays.

@sarsippius Really? I love the Summer Olympics. If somebody wants to work their whole life to achieve a Gold Medal at any sport, well, I'm gonna watch it with enthusiasm! I find them enthralling, spiced up with whole lot of underdog stories that end up inspiring and re-confirming my faith in humanity.

Well since you put it that way, I'll check out some women's volleyball :)

Put hockey in the summer olympics

Hockey is in the summer games!! Australia always are a good chance for gold in both women's and men's and Hockey Girls are mostly pretty cute!

I can not understand why the USA is not better in the women's hockey with how many would play at High School.

7b4b937353.jpg

Edited by OzFlyer

Agreed with who ever said Tolkien's characters got left out...that's just absurd. Perhaps Lord of the Rings was a bigger phenomenon in North America than Great Britain? Doubt it though. Even though they played Eclipse after the lighting of the caldron, I do think Pink Floyd should have been much more prominent....and what about the Floyd characters from the Wall getting some time? How about David Gilmour ripping out a solo from the Wall? Is there anything more British than Floyd's the Wall album? How about some Animals for the industrial revolution? They missed out LARGE on these aspects.

Phelps looked pretty good in the pool today. So did Lockte. Looks like they were both holding back, putting it in cruise mode because they were almost guaranteed to make the Finals tonight. Amazes me how guy in the pool can have such an accurate fix on what's transpiring in different lanes and just how far in front they are.

OK, I mentioned in the shoutbox... The summer games sports are just boring. Nothing close to the speed and danger of most of the winter games sports. The bicycle stuff is kinda cool though.

But they need to add some serious exciting stuff. So here is my short list of ne variations.

Soccer, watched this morning, ................................boring. Give each team a sniper 1 shot option.... Never gonna know when it happens!

Horse Riding... (ug) I'll get back to this one soon...

Archery... Another member said they should use AK47's instead. I'll take it one step further. I want a mortar and artillery accuracy challenge.

Back to the horse riding... I propose we combine the mortar challenge and horse riding into one competition. Now that's a head to head competition.

tongue in cheek but man, I just can't get into the summer games one fraction the way I do the winter games. Guess I was born for hockey....

oh, and I would even spice up the bike racing with land mines. They would be popping off all over!

and for us Americans, a hot dog eating contest...

Just watching the US Womens Olympic Vollyball team. Recognized Coach Hughes and then it all came back, how his Mother and Father in laws were murdered the day before the Gold medal game in Beijing. Also recognized Logan Toms and Destinee Hooker from previous Olympics. USA leading South Korea 2 Sets to 0 so far.

EDIT, USA wins a hard fought victory 3-1, South Korea with S.Y. Kim hung in there till the end!

Edited by jammer2

Hockey is in the summer games!! Australia always are a good chance for gold in both women's and men's and Hockey Girls are mostly pretty cute!

I can not understand why the USA is not better in the women's hockey with how many would play at High School.

7b4b937353.jpg

been there, done that. ;)