The Defence Woes...

idahophilly

Suter, close but no cigar...

Carl, opps. He really did want the big paycheck!

Pronger, need I say anymore?

Weber, nice try but..............

Mezaros??? What can you say? If he hurt himself in the SUMMER then what was his durability in season?

Grossmann? Knee's anyone?

Timmo? Needs a back transplant though I still have faith in him and Grossmann...

For fun, just for fun, lets throw in Gervais, Walker and 3 rookies (more or less anyway}....

Now that sounds grim but here is the good news!!!........

Lilja is hurt so we don't have to watch him and IF that fails, we can always count on Bettman and the owners to do a lock out so we don't have to watch it at all....

Weird thing is, we could have a suprisingly good defence this year! Now there is some optimism for ya!

Great post!

Love the optimism although I am going on the record to say **if** there is a season the Flyers will miss the playoffs if the defense is not addressed. I want to be hopeful but this defense is not good - period.

Man, I hate to be negative...

It times like this we need guys to step up..Coburn needs to finally reach his potential and take on more of a leadership role and log more minutes..

Luke Schenn who knows maybe we have the next Adam Foote or maybe the next bust..

Gus looked promising..he could potentially fill in for Carle..

MAB looked promising also but seemed to run out of gas towards the end of the year..

Overall the d has alot of question marks...and it doesn't help our goaltending sucks..

• Like 1

Oddly enough, Bryz doesn't worry me....

Having a weaker defense without Mez makes me more concerned with the goaltending, mainly due to bryz's lack of anticipation of poor defensive plays.

I read this on NHL.com today and it all but solidified my thinking with respect to this defense:

"

Luke Schenn -- acquired from the Toronto Maple Leafs for forward James van Riemsdyk in June -- could slide into the second pairing, with veteran Bruno Gervais and youngsters Erik Gustafsson, Marc-Andre Bourdon and Brandon Manning battling for the final spots. Andreas Lilja would also be in the mix, but he is expected to miss the start of the season after reportedly having hip surgery."

UGLY.

Having a weaker defense without Mez makes me more concerned with the goaltending, mainly due to bryz's lack of anticipation of poor defensive plays.

I'll go with "reaction" over anticipation. You don't want your goalie continually assuming your defense is going to screw up.

At most, I sign a UFA and other than that fly with what we've got. See how Mesz progresses and make a deal for depth D in January as needed.

Mezaros??? What can you say? If he hurt himself in the SUMMER then what was his durability in season?

Timmo? Needs a back transplant though I still have faith in him and Grossmann...

For fun, just for fun, lets throw in Gervais, Walker and 3 rookies (more or less anyway}....

Lilja is hurt so we don't have to watch him and IF that fails, we can always count on Bettman and the owners to do a lock out so we don't have to watch it at all....

Weird thing is, we could have a suprisingly good defence this year! Now there is some optimism for ya!

Was he working it out with Jason Peters????

Must have been that shake weight workout..........

Not that it makes everything OK, but I think you forgot Schenn.

keep your eye on Bryz..he's Checkmanek Jr. all over again..he have a mental collapse this season..

- well, if this is true can we put the Bryz on LTIR for mental issues? He is crazy now... think how bad it will be when he is facing 50 shots a night!

@idahophilly I know Luke is young, but if he is good next year, it will be the first time. There will be many, many nights where he will leave us shaking our heads. I watched over half the Leaf games last year, I know what I saw....the deer in headlights thing is real....I don't see how it just goes away. He is literally horrified to skate with the puck up the ice, panics and puts it right on opponents sticks. Sorry, but that's what I saw.

@idahophilly I know Luke is young, but if he is good next year, it will be the first time. There will be many, many nights where he will leave us shaking our heads. I watched over half the Leaf games last year, I know what I saw....the deer in headlights thing is real....I don't see how it just goes away. He is literally horrified to skate with the puck up the ice, panics and puts it right on opponents sticks. Sorry, but that's what I saw.

could be the "change of scenery" thing works, especially with the brother on the team..

It either will or it won't. We'll find out...

Players do wind up under a microscope in Tronno from a bunch of fans desperate for some reason that their beloved Leaes haven't won a bloody freaking thing in 40 years...

@radoran The glimmer of hope is that he was ruined by one of the very worst coaches in the league. 4 years of Wilson will do that to a young impressionable kid. He will have much more talent around him, and a coaching staff that can actually...ya know....teach.

Well Carle did plenty of that. At least he'll be younger and cheaper, i honestly believe he'll blossom here.

Overly optimistic you may feel free to call me, but that is my stance and had tired of the disappoint that was named Carle...the pylon as Hartnell would call him.

@OccamsRazor "Well Carle did plenty of that. At least he'll be younger and cheaper, i honestly believe he'll blossom here."

I'll throw in a little optimism as well.....at least with Luke he can hurt opposing forwards, even knock them out of a game or a series.....there was no threat of Carle doing that ....ever.

@OccamsRazor "Well Carle did plenty of that. At least he'll be younger and cheaper, i honestly believe he'll blossom here."

I'll throw in a little optimism as well.....at least with Luke he can hurt opposing forwards, even knock them out of a game or a series.....there was no threat of Carle doing that ....ever.

Well at least he (Carle) made sure the Flyers didn't set the zero short handed goals in a season record 2 years ago... :D