Bernie Parent Speaks Out on Lockout

idahophilly

http://www.philly.co...on-lockout.html

Seems he was participating in the Hartnell golf tournament.

Here is the transcript...

Maybe if the NHL owners and the Players Association could listen to some of the former players, the lockout would be quickly resolved.

Former Flyers Bernie Parent and Orest Kindrachuk made some comments that hit home Monday as they participated in a Scott Hartnell-led charity golf tournament in Cherry Hill.

“I think it’s sad. I don’t know if you read the quote from Brooks Laich" - the Washington forward who said grownups are ruining a kid's game - "but I think that’s it," said Kindrachuk, who, like Parent, played on the Flyers' Stanley Cup championship teams in 1974 and 1975. "It's too bad the dollar sign has to dictate everything."

NHL players received 57 percent of hockey-related revenue in the last collective-bargaining agreement. They want around 53-54 percent in the new deal. The owners are willing to give 49 percent to start the six-year pact, which goes down to 47 percent.

“Should employees get 57 percent of the revenue? If I owned a company, I don’t want to give my employees 57 percent, so I understand where they’re coming from," Kindrachuk said. "But why not just say, ‘Hey guys, let’s go 50/50 and see how this works for the next five years? Let’s just do it.’ It would really be nice to see guys get together and say, ‘What is BETTER for the game?’ Not what’s better for the players and not what’s necessarily better for the owners. What is better for the GAME. And sitting out is not."

Kindrachuk says he has talked to fans "and there are some that aren’t coming back. And Philly’s lucky (because of its strong fan support), so I can’t even imagine what it’s like in some other cities.”

Both sides should “do what’s good for the game," Kindrachuk said. "Are there small-market teams struggling? Absolutely. But then again, you have these owners handing out ludicrous contracts, so they’re their own worst enemies, too.”

Back when he played, the NHLPA "didn’t have a lot of influence or power," Kindrachuk said with a smile. "I think back then, everybody was (finding it) hard to believe we were getting a contract to play hockey.”

He said the most he made in a season was $125,000; today's players avearge $2.55 million.

"I had an offer from the World Hockey League in 1972, a four-year deal worth $600,000 with Houston," Kindrachuk said. "My dad and I sat down, and I said, ‘Dad, I want to play in the NHL. I don’t want to play in the World.’ So my second year, I went to (minor-league) Richmond for $14,500.”

Parent, the Hall of Fame goalie, was asked if the players ever came close to striking when he played.

"How can you when the tickets were $9.50 for the Finals?" he replied. "What do you want to do? Bring it up to $10?

Parent said the elite players made $400,000 in his era. As a rookie with Boston, Parent said he earned $18,000. "That's pretty good in 1965," he noted in a good-natured tone. "Today, boys use this to buy dinner."

Poor guy only made 125K in his top year!

@idahophilly Some franchises will be hard pressed to overcome this latest lock-out. I do think some fringe fans in weaker NHL cities will just say piss on it. Afterall, the NHL has shown it will lockout the players every chance they get....so not only do you have to put up with the latest work stoppage, there is the one after that and the one after that. Literally every time a CBA is done, there will be a strike, or at least that is what Betteman and the NHL have historically shown....they will use this tatic every chance they get...and some fringe fans in Tampa and Columbus would rather just move on rather than face this inconvience every 4 or 5 years. Piss poor way to grow a sport that obviously needs some growing.

• Like 2

You see it. I see it. Most fans see it. WHY CAN'T THE NHL?

Because Gary Bettman is a small minded,self important, vindictive prick. I said this in another thread and I will say it again. Gary Bettman will rue the day he decided to lock horns with Don Fehr. We the fans will pay with the loss of another season due to Bettman's pigheaded ignorance.

@flyerrod

I am no fan of Bettman but how much of this is his fault? Is he actually wielding this power or is he just the puppet of the owners? As much as I dislike Bettman I don't know that a subsequent commissioner would be any different. The league really needs a change in whoever or whatever is the driving force behind the poor decision making.

@flyerrod

I am no fan of Bettman but how much of this is his fault? Is he actually wielding this power or is he just the puppet of the owners? As much as I dislike Bettman I don't know that a subsequent commissioner would be any different. The league really needs a change in whoever or whatever is the driving force behind the poor decision making.

Bettman is the engineer running the train. Don't think he is not running the whole lockout. Gary considers that a tool at his disposal and he intends to use it. His record backs this up.

I gotta side with the former players, and the fans.

During his era, Parent said, the top players earned about $250,000. (By comparison, 25 players were scheduled to make $7 million to $14 million this season.) Parent said he made $18,000 as a rookie with the Boston Bruins in 1965.

"Today, the boys use this to buy dinner," he said.

The greed of (some of) today's players is outrageous. Their salaries are over 40 times what they were in the mid '70s. Have any of the typical fans' wages gone up nearly a 10th that much? And I'm not talking about you making $2 delivering newspapers as a kid, grow up and now make $120K a year, I'm comparing like positions to like. Although, I still don't make 40 times what I did as a teenager.

The owners can always find something to invest their money in. The players should be grateful to make more money than most people make in a lifetime, more than they can spend (assuming a decent career.) And most of the quotes, Hartnel, the old guard, etc., seem to agree.

Dammit all to hell.

Bettman is the engineer running the train. Don't think he is not running the whole lockout. Gary considers that a tool at his disposal and he intends to use it. His record backs this up.

So far the only problem i have with the players is that they should except a 50/50 split and a 5 years deal to see how it goes. Hell , even except a 55%, 53%, 51%, 50%, 49% if need be (though the owners won't go for that anyway...

It would almost be worth losing the entire year if the players can hang in there just to show the owners that Bettman can't get his way through these strong arm tactics...

@idahophilly Some franchises will be hard pressed to overcome this latest lock-out. I do think some fringe fans in weaker NHL cities will just say piss on it. Afterall, the NHL has shown it will lockout the players every chance they get....so not only do you have to put up with the latest work stoppage, there is the one after that and the one after that. Literally every time a CBA is done, there will be a strike, or at least that is what Betteman and the NHL have historically shown....they will use this tatic every chance they get...and some fringe fans in Tampa and Columbus would rather just move on rather than face this inconvience every 4 or 5 years. Piss poor way to grow a sport that obviously needs some growing.

You know, I hadn't thought of it exactly that way, but the way you spelled it out there makes perfect sense, and it's definitely something the league should consider.

"Afterall, the NHL has shown it will lockout the players every chance they get....so not only do you have to put up with the latest work stoppage, there is the one after that and the one after that."

I think that nails it, and you're probably expressing exactly what a lot of fringe fans feel, or at least are about to feel. Heck, die-hard fans like us feel it, we're just addicted enough (or dumb enough) to keep coming back for more. :mellow: