Briere, Giroux, Others Looking to Form Two Quebec Teams

Irishjim

According to Andy Strickland, Flyers forwards Danny Briere, Claude Giroux, and several other high profile French Canadian players and agents such as Patrice Bergeron, Marc Andre Fleury, and David Perron are looking to form two Quebec teams to battle on the ice as the NHL and NHLPA battle it out off the ice.

Idea: These players will form two teams representing Montreal and Quebec City and have them travel across Quebec playing one game a week in which all the proceeds go to charity. Talk of teams for Ottawa and Toronto have been tossed around. Full story at TrueHockey.com.

• Like 2

According to Andy Strickland, Flyers forwards Danny Briere, Claude Giroux, and several other high profile French Canadian players and agents such as Patrice Bergeron, Marc Andre Fleury, and David Perron are looking to form two Quebec teams to battle on the ice as the NHL and NHLPA battle it out off the ice.

Idea: These players will form two teams representing Montreal and Quebec City and have them travel across Quebec playing one game a week in which all the proceeds go to charity. Talk of teams for Ottawa and Toronto have been tossed around. Full story at TrueHockey.com.

I gotta say, in contrast to those players bolting to Europe and Russia, this sounds like players who just want to play because they love the game. All proceeds go to charity? Wow, incredible. Count me impressed!

• Like 3

I gotta say, in contrast to those players bolting to Europe and Russia, this sounds like players who just want to play because they love the game. All proceeds go to charity? Wow, incredible. Count me impressed!

Colour me curious about their provisions for insurance and injury.

I wouldn't expect NHL-style intensity and gameplay.

But do you want Giroux suffering a serious knee injury playing a weekly charity game for the Quebec Fleur-de-lis?

'cause I don't.

Colour me curious about their provisions for insurance and injury.

I wouldn't expect NHL-style intensity and gameplay.

But do you want Giroux suffering a serious knee injury playing a weekly charity game for the Quebec Fleur-de-lis?

'cause I don't.

Does it make a difference whether he suffers an injury playing for charity in Quebec or playing for rubles in Russia? ;)

Does it make a difference whether he suffers an injury playing for charity in Quebec or playing for rubles in Russia? ;)

No, it really doesn't. Meszaros got injured in training. Sami "the human injury machine" Salo took one to the nuts in floor hockey.

The NHL is watching virtually all of its major assets risk their careers playing for other Leagues.

Heckuva job, Gary.

• Like 1

No, it really doesn't. Meszaros got injured in training. Sami "the human injury machine" Salo took one to the nuts in floor hockey.

The NHL is watching virtually all of its major assets risk their careers playing for other Leagues.

Heckuva job, Gary.

LOL, did that really happen to Salo?? Ouch, I hadn't heard that!!

LOL, did that really happen to Salo?? Ouch, I hadn't heard that!!

All right, I got (two of) the Human Injury MachineTM's injuries out of order

He tore his Achilles playing floor hockey:

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2010/07/23/sami-salo-out-indefinitely-after-tearing-achilles-playing-floor-hockey/

He got hit in the jewels in an NHL game:

http://jockpost.com/sami-salo-takes-team-puck-ruptures-testicle-video/

The man is astounding in his ability to get injured. I think the only place he could have effectively monetized this ability is playing hockey. :)

Formation of a new league has begun....

In all seriousness I think this is a good idea, it will raise money for charity and keep the guys in tune with their skills. It would be great to be televised unfortunately Comcast would probably black it out just to make sure the fans couldn't watch any hockey until the lockout is over.

You know what would be really interesting, given the whole hulabaloo about the Alberta/Quebec union laws?

Have the Flames, Habs and Oilers *actual teams* stay together and play against each other. Maybe create a Quebec "All Star" team.

Put a team in Hamilton! :D

A major fly in the ointment is the lease agreements the owners have with the current venues...

All right, I got (two of) the Human Injury MachineTM's injuries out of order

He tore his Achilles playing floor hockey:

http://prohockeytalk...g-floor-hockey/

He got hit in the jewels in an NHL game:

http://jockpost.com/...testicle-video/

The man is astounding in his ability to get injured. I think the only place he could have effectively monetized this ability is playing hockey. :)

Love this line from the testicle article... "In the spirit of rediculousness, Facebook and Twitter pages have been created on behalf of his testicle presumably for comedic reasons."