Flyers vs Bruins - 12/17/2011

Guest Digityman

Game LInk - http://www.firstrowsports.tv/watch/98471/1/watch-philadelphia-flyers-vs-boston-bruins.html

From Meltzer

Looking to extend their December winning streak to eight games, the Flyers (20-7-3) return to the Wells Fargo Center to take on the Boston Bruins (20-9-1). The game starts at 1 PM EST and will be broadcast locally on CSN Philly and nationally on NHL Network.

Today's game marks the second of four meetings between the teams this season. On opening night of the 2011-12 season, the Flyers traveled to Boston and emerged with a 2-1 victory on the strength of goals by Claude Giroux and Jakub Voracek as well as 22 saves from Ilya Bryzgalov in his Flyers debut. Brad Marchand scored the lone Bruins goal.

The Bruins, who have the best goal differential (+41) in the NHL this season, would be a formidable opponent even if the Flyers had Claude Giroux (concussion) and Chris Pronger (concussion) in the lineup. The club's combination of size and speed presented matchup problems in the playoffs last year. Boston enters this game on a three-game winning streak and has won seven of its last 10 games.

On Wednesday, the Bruins downed the Ottawa Senators, 5-2. Tim Thomas made 47 saves and Daniel Paille scored a pair of goals, while Rich Peverley had a goal and an assist and Chris Kelly and Patrice Bergeron tallied single goals.

Until the Flyers' last game, in which the club killed 8 of 9 penalties successfully in a 4-3 win over the Canadiens, Philly had not taken more than four penalties in any game during their winning streak. A repeat would not be advisable against Boston, although the Bruins power play has connected at an ordinary 17.6 percent rate.

On Thursday, Montreal's second-ranked penalty kill cooled off the Flyers' previously red hot power play, which now stands at 19.4 percent for the season. Boston is another very good penalty killing team, surviving 83 percent of its manpower disadvantages.

Wayne Simmonds brings a four-game goal scoring streak in today's tilt, while Voracek has points in four of his last five games. Scott Hartnell's six-game goal scoring streak was snapped in Montreal but came extremely close twice to tallying goals.

Apart from Giroux and Pronger, the Flyers are still without Brayden Schenn (concussion), Erik Gustafsson (LTIR, wrist surgery) and Andreas Lilja (LTIR, on rehab assignment while healing a high ankle sprain). For Boston, Zdeno Chara (knee) and Gregory Campbell (left foot) are listed as day-to-day. Campbell is doubtful for today, but Chara practiced yesterday.

Today's game is the Flyers' final home game until the Winter Classic.

PROJECTED LINEUPS (subject to change)

FLYERS

Hartnell - Couturier - Jagr

Read - Briere - Simmonds

JVR - Talbot - Voracek

Shelley - Zolnierczyk - Rinaldo

Timonen - Coburn

Carle - Bourdon/Meszaros

Marshall/Bourdon - Meszaros

Bryzgalov

[bobrovsky]

BRUINS

Lucic - Krejci - Horton

Marchand - Bergeron - Seguin

Pouliot - Kelly - Peverley

Paille - Hamill - Thornton

Chara - Boychuk

Seidenberg- Corvo

Ference - McQuaid

Thomas

[Rask]

Today's game marks the 1,300th regular season match of Jaromir Jagr's NHL career. After today, he'll be two games away from entering the all-time top 50 list. Alexei Kovalev is currently 50th with 1,302 games played.

Jagr's next goal will move him past Brendan Shanahan for sole possession of 11th place on the NHL's all-time goal-scoring list. He is 12 goals away from catching Luc Robitaille and entering the top 10 list.

Jagr, who is 9th on the NHL's all-time point list and 11th on the all-time assist list, currently has 1,625 career points and 969 assists. He is 16 points away from catching Joe Sakic for the 8th spot on the points list.

Not even 10 minutes in.

3-0 Boston, Bryz looking a little shaky but not all his fault.

Shelly fights Chara, loses but takes him off the ice for 5 minutes.

Bryz and Marshall look terrible. I'm sitting second row above the tunnel. Marshall holds all day, Bryz is clueless.

Is Couturier okay? He looked really woozy leaving the ice after the delay, I didn't see the hit.

Bryz and Marshall look terrible. I'm sitting second row above the tunnel. Marshall holds all day, Bryz is clueless.

Is Couturier okay? He looked really woozy leaving the ice after the delay, I didn't see the hit.

Looked like he got hit right behind the ear from Timo's shot. Doubt he will be back. Concussion?

They didn't come ready today.

Boston is like a freakin machine. 17-1-2 in their last 20. Unreal.

I remember posting when they won their eighth straight or something.

The Bruins on paper are really good and they've found their stride but the Flyers really laid an egg on this one at the same time. The first goal was what around 20 seconds in?

A few bad bounces against with some bad luck in there too. Effort was lacking also.

It happens to every team from time to time.

On the flip side Bob only let one in. I think Lavy has to start him on Monday in Colorado.

It will be a statement game for this team and how they handle the loss of their two most important players AND probably their arguably their most valued rookie.

It's time we see Briere & Timo put this team on their backs as the veteran leaders of this team. They've been solid but it's time to take the next step and lead.

The fact is Bryz is struggling and hasn't been the goalie I expected. He hasn't been consistent enough. Yes we won 7 in a row before this but that masked his struggling in goal, how many games did we start out down 2-0 or 3-0? Fortunately we came back and won those games and everyone is happy but that doesn't make it that Bryz is good in goal, he has been average so far. Yes I know every great goalie struggles but he is getting lost in the woods more often then not and needs to find his game. I would play Bob in goal until Bryz starts earning his pay. It's not from just this game that I'm piss but from the beginning of the season.

Didn't see the game (started my Christmas shopping) but Bryz and his .750 save percentage is worth about 10 bucks an hour, not $51 Million. Meanwhile, at the other end of the ice is a guy earning his paycheck. The Bruins are one very good reason why we need someone like Shea Weber on our team. We can beat a lot of teams with our talent, but we better get a lot tougher, if we want to play with those boys.

Didn't see the game (started my Christmas shopping) but Bryz and his .750 save percentage is worth about 10 bucks an hour, not $51 Million. Meanwhile, at the other end of the ice is a guy earning his paycheck. The Bruins are one very good reason why we need someone like Shea Weber on our team. We can beat a lot of teams with our talent, but we better get a lot tougher, if we want to play with those boys.

The truth is that when our players lay an egg, our goalies have not stolen a few games here and there for us. We can camouflage that in the regular season, but not in the playoffs. Nothing I have seen from Bryz makes me believe he's any different than Leighton or Boosh or Bob. That better change real quick.

At least with Bob he's young and still learning. Bryzgalov is 31. We're 30 games into the season and I'm still waiting for him to show he's worth HALF of what he's making.

Bob has been working hard on improving. I would actually say he is good at handling the puck now. Remember him exactly one year ago? Yeah... Glad to see progress, now I just want to see him in the Philly net more often.

@billmeltzer

Bryz's PK save percentage fell to .817 after today (Bob at .900). He now ranks 65th: http://t.co/pzOYmd4b

This is what I was dreaming of when Holmgren signed Bryzgalov. I remember thinking "If only he can be the 65th best goalie in the league, for 51 million dollars, it'll all be worth it"

Meanwhile, at the other end of the ice is a guy earning his paycheck.

Yep. There were not many Martin Brodeurs in this league in the past or the present, but I really think Thomas comes as close as one can come to match the greatness of Marty.

Carey Price is getting there I think.

Very stricky for my liking, but not a bad choice. Again, there are quite a few of good goalies in the league. Price, Lundqvist, Luongo, Fleury, Rinne, Miller, Backstrom, and yes, even our own Bryzgalov, are in a category of good goalies. But in terms of great goalies, there are not many of those. In fact, as of right now, I only consider Tim Thomas a truly GREAT goaltender who has been great consistently and stands as an unquestioned #1 in this league as of this moment.

Very stricky for my liking, but not a bad choice. Again, there are quite a few of good goalies in the league. Price, Lundqvist, Luongo, Fleury, Rinne, Miller, Backstrom, and yes, even our own Bryzgalov, are in a category of good goalies. But in terms of great goalies, there are not many of those. In fact, as of right now, I only consider Tim Thomas a truly GREAT goaltender who has been great consistently and stands as an unquestioned #1 in this league as of this moment.

I agree and am glad someone understands the difference between good and great. I merely meant the Price may be the next to make that jump, and I think he can.

Imagine for a second that Price had a decent team in front of him. Yeah, he would be scary good.

Yep. There were not many Martin Brodeurs in this league in the past or the present, but I really think Thomas comes as close as one can come to match the greatness of Marty.

Marty did it for a lot longer time, but Thomas is playing as well as any goalie i've ever seen.