About the game

Guest touche22

I read in the CBA cliff notes that between period entertainment is reduced from 5 minutes to 4 minutes. There is another stipulation in that regard, but I forget what it is. The jist I get of it is to allow more time for the ice to set.

@Vanflyer,

I think the intermission is also 1 minute longer. The commentators were talking about it in one of the games I had on tonight.

I think the intermission is also 1 minute longer. The commentators were talking about it in one of the games I had on tonight.

I am fine with that. I would rather there be really good ice (hello Edmonton) than entertaining me for 5 minutes. The entertainment is mostly for the kids anyway and at the cost of the tix prices, I can find other ways to entertain my kids for 5 minutes if it means a better sheet of ice and subsequent higher quality of hockey.

@Poulin20

I think you're spot on about the pucks bouncing. Seemed to hop and tumble almost every pass. I thought Bryz played pretty well for you guys. The first goal obviously rough deflection, and the second looked like he was completely screened till it shot past him.

As for the officiating I couldn't disagree more. They were letting a LOT go then suddenly they'd call the weakest infraction to give your boys a PP. the Malkin high stick on Grossman was a follow through from forcing the puck up and should never have been called, the Simmonds oops I can't skate penalty on Engelland was horrible as well. The Giroux trip on Letang a little soft, but since he did take his leg out from behind I think it was the right call as that often leads to injury. Wasn't a slew foot but a valid trip.

As stated previously even Flyers fans at the bar I was in were commenting how lopsided the officiating seemed in your favor, and I know that was hard for them to do. Honestly though, the inconsistencies that are NHL officiating will be to my boys' advantage sometimes too, so no sense beating the horse, so to speak.

Enjoy the Sabres tomorrow as we move on to the Rags!

Maybe the refs were looking for the play, but they made the right call.

By about the width of a skate blade! If Giroux had manage to drag his skate just a tad... Ah well.

The first penalty on the Flyers, a typical Crosby dive, first they had Grioux in the box, then they wound up putting Coburn in when he wasn't anywhere near the play (it was Grossman.) Suffice to say the refs don't get the benefit of the doubt when they screw up that badly.

Edited by TedZep

the Malkin high stick on Grossman was a follow through from forcing the puck up and should never have been called

Polaris, you are an intelligent hockey fan (especially considering you are a Pens fan! :P ) but you are wrong on this one. A player is responsible for his stick at all times regardless if he was playing the puck. The only time I have seen an exception made is if a high sick occurs on the follow through of a shot (usually a slap shot) in the offensive zone. It was the right call, not that it did our pathetic power play any good.

Sorry I viewed the pass forward as a "shooting motion" more than a "wild swing at a bouncing puck" as he delivered the puck forward with intent and purpose. Depends on how you interpret the rules language I suppose. Sure it wasn't a "shot" on goal, but I took it to be separating purpose from reckless abandon.

By about the width of a skate blade! If Giroux had manage to drag his skate just a tad... Ah well.

The first penalty on the Flyers, a typical Crosby dive, first they had Grioux in the box, then they wound up putting Coburn in when he wasn't anywhere near the play (it was Grossman.) Suffice to say the refs don't get the benefit of the doubt when they screw up that badly.

The replay it WAS Giroux that took his feet out. SHould never have been Grossman or Coburn. Those two were quite innocent. And I didn't see that as a dive at all. On top of that, as stated previously, after the Simmonds dive you guys have no room to point a finger at ANYBODY in the NHL for the month of January. ;) LOL

Yeah the Simmonds maneuver truly reeked of Letang.........just sayin'.... :o

I found it resembled more of a Hartnell's move... No real contact to speak if, no puck around, looking like he's been shot by a .600 Nitro round... All he needed was a red mop on his head!

No real contact to speak if, no puck around, looking like he's been shot by a .600 Nitro round

I have never seen a better description of a "Letang" in my life......LOL

I am surprised he has yet to give himself whiplash during one of his "shows".......

and before your return remark, yes that applies to Letang and sometimes Hartnell...

I have never seen a better description of a "Letang" in my life......LOL

I am surprised he has yet to give himself whiplash during one of his "shows".......

and before your return remark, yes that applies to Letang and sometimes Hartnell...

And let's not forget Briere... And at least this time Simmonds ;) lol