About the game

Guest touche22

Good energy just not a lot of finish. Too many missed net opportunity from the d (which has become a hallmark of this team) and of course, Simmons.

No offense outside of the G rush. That's not to say guys weren't 'playing' hard, i just didnt think there were many opportunities to score, esp from our secondary units.

Power play better smarten up.

Got to win tomorrow. 48 games seasons dont wait for any team.

If not for the sleepwalk through the first, they should have at least had a tie. OK, they should have tied anyway (Simmonds)

And our goalie actually looked like an NHL goalie with only one "Bryzgalion" moment where he didn't have a clue where the puck was.

• Like 2

I thought overall the play was better than I expected for 6 days of practice. Bryz looks comfortable in net and he made some quality saves. Our second PP unit needs some work. We missed some key chances, maybe started out a bit too slow.

Gotta recharge quickly though. Buffalo tomorrow.

As Aziz said it could have been a lot worse (see Kings/Hawks game).

With games nearly every other day, each lose needs to be followed by a win. Any type of losing streak with a 48 game season and it's going to be very hard to recover.

IMO I thought they played well but not great. They came back strong and did get short sheeted on penalties.

Short sheeted? Everyone watching the game at the bar in Lake Placid, Flyers fans included, thought the officials were trying to ensure a home opener win for your boys. Inconsistencies abound... But maybe they're just rusty too.

As I said in the chat during the game... No Flyers fan can complain about diving from ANY team for a month after that debacle!

I missed the 2nd and 3rd periods, so I cannot comment. The 1st period the Flyers came out sluggish. What do you expect with only 1 week of practice. The Pens 1st goal was a deflection. Can't do anything about that. However that came off of a face-off loss. The importance of winning the face off is so very important. As far as the penalties, I cannot comment on the 2nd and 3rd periods, but many of us in the chat room agreed some of the penalties in the 1st period were lame calls that benefited the Flyers.

I trust everyone else's opinion that they played better in the 2nd and 3rd periods, but just could not finish. Gotta win tomorrow vs the Sabres.

I was at the game today and here were my observations #1 the crowd never really got into it. It felt (and looked) at times like we were attending a pre-season game. If you guys at home were not made aware of it by the announcers a new feature this year is a 50/50 drawing where 50% of the pot goes to Flyers Charities and 50% goes to a fan. OK by the 3rd period the pot was up to $40K. (Yes some fan today walked out of the arena with a cool $20K) Honestly the 50/50 drawing was much more exciting than the game for most people. Observation #2 the puck was bouncing all over the place like a rubber ball. I dont know if the ice was bad or if the pucks were not frozen but the puck was bouncing all over everyones sticks. Did you see how it bounced on the faceoff before the Pens 2nd goal? Somehow Frankenmalkin got it back to Neal for the 2nd goal which from where I was sitting looked like Bryz should have had. Besdies that he was pretty good. I dont fault him on the Pig/man's goal (that would be Tyler Kennedy) as it went in off Schenn. OK observation #3 Reffing was not that bad IMHO. I thought that the 1st penalty called on us for interference on Cindy was terrible as he seemed to interfere with G right before he was "interefered" with. Also the last penalty called on G at the end seemed pretty weak. That being said the Flyers had plenty of PP chances that they did not cash in on that they should of and the Flyers did get away with some high sticks and other infractions away from the play that were not called. Observation #4 both teams looked like garbage most of the day. The Flyers sucked much more in the 1st and it combined with their utter lack of finishing proved to be their undoing (I wonder if Danny B would have made a difference?) I didn't expect the teams to be good but I was surprised how bad both teams looked. Cindy was invisible out there and we barely could get the energy up to do the "Crosby Sucks" chant. Observation #5 the linesmen seemed a bit off today especially with the icings. I dont know how you guys saw it but it seemed that there were many times where they could have waved off icing as the defender could have played it. The calls went both ways but it seemed a little more in the Pens favor. Speaking of line calls, for those of you at home was G offsides on "that call"? On the jumbotron it looked awfully close but the jumbotron is not in HD.

Overall it was kind of anticlimactic for those of us in the stands. All in all I wasnt too crestfallen about it however knowing the Flyers luck these 2 points will loom large when it comes to the end of the season. Oh well at least hockey is back!

Lets Go :PHI:

Edited by Poulin20

Gotta recharge quickly though. Buffalo tomorrow.

I actually really like the "accelerated" schedule. Thats the way it used to be in the 80's. No time to wallow in the mire. Get back on the horse and go. Like everyone else already stated, it was a decent game except for not showing up in the first period (how that could happen is beyond me). If I was lavi, I would have a slogan on the door of the dressing room door that says "60 minutes starts here" as they leave to take the ice. I get frustrated with 40 minute hockey games. I have played enough serious hockey to know how it goes like that, but still.

Observation #2 the puck was bouncing all over the place like a rubber ball.

Interesting. What was the weather in Philly like (not that it should have that much of an impact in the middle of winter). Doesn't the new CBA also cut the between festivities down by one minute in order to give higher quality ice?

I dont know how you guys saw it but it seemed that there were many times where they could have waved off icing as the defender could have played it.

I saw that too. overall I agree with your critique. DGG gave me way too many rums before the game, but how did Laughton look??

Overall it was kind of anticlimactic for those of us in the stands. All in all I wasnt too crestfallen about it however knowing the Flyers luck these 2 points will loom large when it comes to the end of the season. Oh well at least hockey is back!

While certainly not his fault, can we start the "Breezy" buyout watch now?? ha ha !!

Interesting. What was the weather in Philly like (not that it should have that much of an impact in the middle of winter). Doesn't the new CBA also cut the between festivities down by one minute in order to give higher quality ice?

It was in the 50s today in Philly (which is unusually warm for January) but it didnt feel like playoff hot or anything out there. (I am not sure about the CBA thing but it would be good if that is true)

@Poulin20

I was just flippin through channels and noticed a Preds fan just won a new Nissan at their home opener. There was a couple of times I noticed that the crowd seemed rather quiet while listening to the game. And yes the call on G was correct, close but correct.

@Poulin20

Thanks for the insight......great report

RE: 50/50.....Wonder if you have to claim 20K on your taxes as income??? I could sure use an extra 20 G's :)

Yeah you have to declare gambling winnings as that is what it is. I dont know if the Flyers will withhold the proper tax for you or not but you definitely have to declare it and pay up at some point. I dont think it is taxed with your regular income but as a stand alone item with its own tax rate that is standard for gambling winnings.

I saw that too. overall I agree with your critique. DGG gave me way too many rums before the game, but how did Laughton look??

Honestly I didnt notice him too much out there positively or negatively. Part of the problem for me too during the 1st few games of the season (when I am attending games) is that I have to re-learn some of the players numbers as they are new or have switched. For example Talbot is now #25 and when I saw him I started cycling though in my head Zezel, Podein, Carle, Talbot....and in my distraction I fail to notice who is doing what what out there.

@Poulin20

I was just flippin through channels and noticed a Preds fan just won a new Nissan at their home opener. There was a couple of times I noticed that the crowd seemed rather quiet while listening to the game. And yes the call on G was correct, close but correct.

Wow a car that would have been cool to get too! Yeah the crowd sucked bigtime today. I am glad at least the call was correct and we didnt get reverse Stickle'd or anything. I was so excited when G took that pass that I knocked the drink of the guy next to me out of the drink holder in the arm rest. Luckilly it had a lid on and he was not in his seat at the time!

Short sheeted? Everyone watching the game at the bar in Lake Placid, Flyers fans included, thought the officials were trying to ensure a home opener win for your boys. Inconsistencies abound... But maybe they're just rusty too.

It pains me to do this, but I think I have to agree. Especially after we were given three power plays in a row in the first period. I think Penguins got the first power play on an interference call, and their first goal was right before it ended, or just after....memory is fuzzy. The next handful went in the Flyers favor. They didn't score on any of them. That's when I was like, oh crap. We shot ourselves in the foot by not capitalizing on those early opportunities. But they all came in today's infamous "First Period That Wasn't" for us.

I was so excited when G took that pass that I knocked the drink of the guy next to me out of the drink holder in the arm rest. Luckilly it had a lid on and he was not in his seat at the time!

lol, In the post game discussion on Comcast they showed the missed call on basically the same play last year in the playoffs where G was a step or two in. Maybe the refs were looking for the play, but they made the right call.

(I am not sure about the CBA thing but it would be good if that is true)

I read in the CBA cliff notes that between period entertainment is reduced from 5 minutes to 4 minutes. There is another stipulation in that regard, but I forget what it is. The jist I get of it is to allow more time for the ice to set.

For example Talbot is now #25 and when I saw him I started cycling though in my head Zezel, Podein, Carle, Talbot....and in my distraction I fail to notice who is doing what what out there.

I completely understand. It is interesting the difference between a live game and the mental processing that goes on versus watching on tv.