Curse of the "C"

CoachX

Okay, so the Flyers are awful right now. I think most of us can agree on that. By the end of the season, that could change. I personally don't think it will happen. i almost get the same feeling I had in 06-07. i think we are in for a long bumpy ride this season.

Prior to the start of the season, there was spirited debate about Giroux being Captain. I rememeber one statement that "he wants to be captain", therefore he should be. So the Flyers made him captain and he is not playing up to the level that he was last year. This too is looking all to farmiliar to me. I felt like the Flyers rushed Mike Richards based on stellar play and promise of a long career, only to see him fold under the pressure, fight with the media, and ultimately get shipped out. I think they once again rushed to judgement and handed to reins to a young player who was not really ready for it, and his play is suffering.

Now, I know many of you will say one thing has nothing to do with the other. And this is not a "I hate Giroux" bash session. This is more an opinion of an organization that continues to put the cart before the horse and make decisions in haste that are detrimental to its core players. I for one think they should have held off and named Timmonen or Briere captian, and let Giroux mentor under them a few seasons. Instead he was thrown into the fire. What I see on the ice now is a guy who rarely shoots and is struggling with his game.

In other markets perhaps this is an easier transition. But in Philadlephia, where big time athletes have a hard enough time with fans and media, why you would rush this promising superstar to the altar is just baffling at best. I just hope that he doesn't suffer the same fate as Richards.

• Like 1

Okay, so the Flyers are awful right now. I think most of us can agree on that. By the end of the season, that could change. I personally don't think it will happen. i almost get the same feeling I had in 06-07. i think we are in for a long bumpy ride this season.

Prior to the start of the season, there was spirited debate about Giroux being Captain. I rememeber one statement that "he wants to be captain", therefore he should be. So the Flyers made him captain and he is not playing up to the level that he was last year. This too is looking all to farmiliar to me. I felt like the Flyers rushed Mike Richards based on stellar play and promise of a long career, only to see him fold under the pressure, fight with the media, and ultimately get shipped out. I think they once again rushed to judgement and handed to reins to a young player who was not really ready for it, and his play is suffering.

Now, I know many of you will say one thing has nothing to do with the other. And this is not a "I hate Giroux" bash session. This is more an opinion of an organization that continues to put the cart before the horse and make decisions in haste that are detrimental to its core players. I for one think they should have held off and named Timmonen or Briere captian, and let Giroux mentor under them a few seasons. Instead he was thrown into the fire. What I see on the ice now is a guy who rarely shoots and is struggling with his game.

In other markets perhaps this is an easier transition. But in Philadlephia, where big time athletes have a hard enough time with fans and media, why you would rush this promising superstar to the altar is just baffling at best. I just hope that he doesn't suffer the same fate as Richards.

I don't know @.....but it is a rather very astute observation...

I agree Giroux's upside is important to this team...I just hope he does not get burned out out wearing that "C"

The way I look at it is that Giroux is the franchise right now. Even if he didn't wear the "C" it is his team. Young players being named Captain is common in the NHL (See Crosby, Ovechkin, Toews, Landeskog, etc). Could the pressure of the captaincy be getting to him? Sure its definitely possible. I think another reason he got off to the slow start this season is the instability in his lines. Hartnell goes down with injury then they put Simmonds on his line and he gets hurt. Then he was playing with McGinn who is a nice player but really has no business on the top line with Giroux. I am glad to see Lavy put Voracek on his line with Read. I think sometimes Claude naturally wants to be a playmaker and passes up shot opportunities to make the extra pass. With Voracek who is strictly a passer he knows he will be asked to shoot more on that line. Voracek and Read can also skate wide with speed which should open up the middle for G. We'll see how it shakes out hopefully the game today is the spark he needs to ramp up his offensive production.

With Voracek who is strictly a passer he knows he will be asked to shoot more on that line. Voracek and Read can also skate wide with speed which should open up the middle for G. We'll see how it shakes out hopefully the game today is the spark he needs to ramp up his offensive production.

Excellent point.

If they'd made Briere or Timonen the captain when it's so clear the rest of the team looks to Giroux, you'd insult Giroux and he'd fold under the feeling that the franchise doesn't have faith in him, etc etc... That would be a huge mistake, and may have even meant Giroux would be playing elsewhere when he hits FA status. I hate to say it but numbnuts Holmgren and Laviolette made the right move giving him the 'C' if they were giving it to anybody.

Well I guess the Islanders game really solidifys PhilsFanDrew's POV .... Good job young man. Being with Read and Voracek looked like a nice recipe. But I want to see now if this translates into the same thing against better teams.

I'm still not convinced this was the right move