So does Letang get suspended for crosschecking the linesman?

@polariss922

didn't conachar go to the box for embellishment last night ?

i thought i heard that, i could be wrong i was not fully engaged in with the tv as it was around my daughters bed time, which has lots of trips to the bathroom with extended stays in the door way asking me about the game, the weather, did that person write back to her. etc etc. so i might have just overheard someone saying he should go for diving...

No he didn't. I was just saying the call could've gone against both. I'm not really concerned that it didn't. Just adding to the point Nossagog was making about everybody calling Crosby out every time it looks like a weak called for him.

As for putting your daughter to bed, enjoy it while it lasts. Mine are growing up all too fast.

Edited by Polaris922

Trap activated. Ah, see, its not an exageration at all, if that's what you're looking for. For the record, I thought it should have been a noncall based on the rest of the game, but yes, Karlson sold it. Did I like the call, no, do I see why it was called, sure.

But let's insert Crosby in Karlson's place, imagine the uproar. The haters would create threads and keep them going for, well how long has THIS thread been going for a non issue. Here's a secret, ALL players sell calls.

And I could sit here and try to justify Orpik's stick in Neil's crotch because Neil was holding Orpik's head down and wouldn't let him up. Or Orpik's "crosscheck"(really a punch with the glove hand on the stick) because the guy's slashing at his legs. See I can justify all those thing, but wait, let me take off my black/gold colored glasses. If I want to sit here and watch the next playoff game just to prove that a team benefits from calls/noncalls, I could do it for either of the teams? But what would be the true point? I'd probably miss a heck of a hockey game.

You mis-took me for someone who has a dog in this fight. I was just calling you out on your exaggeration about Karlson flopping on the ice, nothing more. I would expect Crosby to sell the call and I would expect Giroux to sell the call and I would expect most fans of the opposing team to complain about it. As you said, just about all players want to make sure the ref sees an infraction against them. It was a penalty by the book, but agreed it was soft call if not a common call in this era of zero tolerance for clutching, grabbing etc. I didnt watch the game that closely as I dont really care too much since my team is out, so I cant speak of the other infractions you are talking about.

It's not a secret that players "sell calls" or "dive". It's a shame to see especially when it costs hard-working teams games or even playoff series.

Like in game 3 Pens v Isles - Crosby falls to the ice "selling" a holding call in OT putting the Pens on the PP yet again where Kunitz scores the game-winning PP goal. Pens win 5-4.

Three of the Pens five goals in game 3 were PP goals, one of which was a 5 on 3 man adv PP goal. That's a lot of "selling".

It's not a secret that players "sell calls" or "dive". It's a shame to see especially when it costs hard-working teams games or even playoff series.

Like in game 3 Pens v Isles - Crosby falls to the ice "selling" a holding call in OT putting the Pens on the PP yet again where Kunitz scores the game-winning PP goal. Pens win 5-4.

Three of the Pens five goals in game 3 were PP goals, one of which was a 5 on 3 man adv PP goal. That's a lot of "selling".

You must be wearing the orange & black glasses too... it was clearly a hold, and NOBODY "sells" a call falling down instead of taking a wide open shot on a goaltender from ten feet away, let alone a guy with Crosby's ability to pick his spot with the puck. If not for the hold, I'd bet 80% chance or more of him scoring the game winner right then and there. That you would relate power plays with selling penalties just because they were Penguin power plays tells us a lot about your stance on separating watching hockey from rooting against the Pens.

A wide open shot? If Crosby was wide open how was anyone close enough to hold him?

An 80% chance or more of Crosby scoring the game winner right then and there? When Crosby spins off the boards he takes one hand off his stick to fend off the d-man, so yes Crosby is about ten to fifteen feet from the net when he flops, but he's also one step off the goal line with only one hand on his stick. In today's NHL what would a smart player do if he's driving the net from a bad angle, covered by a defender, has only one hand on his stick, and knows he's not going to score? What Crosby did - fall down and maybe draw a penalty. Welcome to FIFA, I mean todays NHL.

But I suppose this is all moot since I'm still wearing my orange and black glasses, I'll just take those off and.... OH THATS SO MUCH BETTER!!! I can't believe Strait only got two minutes when he tackled Crosby like that, that should have been five and a game for intent to injure. Speaking of intent to injure, how was Craig Berube not banned for life after his vicious, premeditated attack on Kevin Collins? Baffling. Almost as baffling as the reaction of all the homers on here to this alleged Letang Crosscheck. It's quite obvious the linesman skated into Letang's outstretched stick. Speaking of a stretch.......

instead of taking a wide open shot on a goaltender from ten feet away, let alone a guy with Crosby's ability to pick his spot with the puck. If not for the hold, I'd bet 80% chance or more of him scoring the game winner right then and there.

"80% chance" and "wide open shot" = silly. This nonsense was already flushed down the toilet earlier. I only hope Crosby thanked the Acadamy.

And...when a team scores 3 PP goals, one of them on a 2-man advantage - in a PO game - it sucks for a lot of us fans of the NHL.

@HansonBros17

Pulled down from behind because that was the only option Strait had left. Crosby's hand is off the stick but would be on it if not for the two handed hold Strait uses. He's the best in the world, I think he'd get his shot away just fine. How many times has he done exactly that? The point is he deserves and EARNED the right to take that shot. If Strait does't hold him and he missed or fails to score, so be it, no complaint. But the BLATANT hold?... Some of you Flyers guys trip me up.....

@canoli

Flushed down when? where? Certainly hot on these forums. I've read them all and no comments arguing the penalty were valid. Even Milbury, Roenick, Strait... Capuano... all said basically "yeah it was a hold but it wasn't THAT bad of one and this is the playoffs". A hold is a hold is a hold... and when it stops a scoring chance it gets called. Sucks for a lot of fans that they call the rules so the skill players aren't held by the waiver boys down the line? What kind of hockey you want? You sure you're not a closet Devils fan?

Edited by Polaris922

@B21

Sometimes it's funny you know? All the threads where we've talked about Flyers players taking dives... I don't think any of the comments were about "Well yeah it was a penalty but come on this is playoffs" type stuff. They were Hartnellesque shot in the back by a howitzer when nobody was within five feet type stuff. But like you said... this was a penalty on a Pens player who also happens to be the best in the world, has a Cup and numerous other accomplishments, and is in the playoffs. A combination of things that makes a lot of Flyers fans see orange.

I vote the Pens start tonight's game down two men ... bench minors for wearing black and gold, and for winning in the current decade. Surely there would be penalties for that if they weren't Bettman's dress up buddies. :P

all the talking heads said essentially the same thing that night, i.e. it was a b.s. call.

The POs used to be special, regarding penalties I mean. When it got down to the final few minutes you practically had to draw blood to draw a call. Now? Now we get slashing at 18:53. And holding-the-stick in OT. Well...it is what it is as they say. Personally I think this "new NHL" zero tolerance crap sucks. But I'm glad you enjoy it.

@Polaris922

What Crosby DESERVED was a penalty shot as he was robbed of a clear break away and what was sure to be the game winning goal, but all the Pens were awarded was a 2-minute power play. Fortunately, they converted and justice was served.

Man, I really need to figure out where I left those O&B glasses.

@canoli

It was a correct call by officials. I don't even know how Karlsson could argue. Just think he's used to getting away with everything ;). What backfired was Bylsma's insane prevent crap. I'll never understand why he uses that, or if he's going to be that stupid to amplify it by putting Malkin out when he's adopting a defensive strategy.

Oh well... I said five games and I meant it.

Nah I know, neither one (in OT) was a bad call necessarily or even the slash. Reg season, early in a game, sure. But c'mon, at 18:53 in a 1-goal PO game? The officiating is so arbitrary most of the time (it seems) that they might as well take into account the situation, ie the stage of the game, the fact that it's a PO game...especially when it's late...the way they used to. Nobody says we have to go back to clutch 'n grab, but just dial down the so-so penalties in the POs that's all. These days it's like a 50/50 shot whether the game will end with 1 team on the PP.

btw that "prevent" D drives me insane too. You got to the point where you're up a goal - keep doing what you were doing! But so many coaches want to protect that tiny lead... the skaters lose their focus a bit, the other team has time to make clean passes up ice...I didn't think Blysma used that strategy too often, seems whenever you beat us you keep coming till the buzzer. That was a mistake Sunday. God only knows why Makin skated in the last few minutes. He had a good game but nobody will ever confuse him for a Selke candidate. :)