Bryzgalov: Stalin a good guy who went a little too far

radoran

I did not see Jaws when it first came out.

Me either....i watched on HBO first time it came out on cable me and all my closest cousins...on the couch....not one foot in the whole room was on the floor scared to put it down....i will never forget then how scary that was!!!!!!!!!

Edited by OccamsRazor
  • Like 1

@OccamsRazor

I was 8 years old and my idiot parents took me with them to see it in the movies. I'm not sure of it now, but I think they also took my brother who is 2 1/2 years younger. I think now someone might call children & youth.

The only part there was even an attempt to cover my eyes was the final scene when the shark is eating Robert Shaw on the deck of the boat. Fingers were somewhat separated so, of course, I saw the whole thing. I'm telling you, I didn't even want to take a bath afterwards. I was certain the shark was going to come up out of the drain.

To give you some idea of how/why I grew up so smarmy (/emotionally damaged), I also got to see The Exorcist and Towering Inferno in the movies. I was 6 for Towering Inferno and probably 5 to see The Exorcist. For awhile, I really wasn't happy to go into an elevator and The Exorcist simply terrified me.

Me either....i watched on HBO first time it came out on cable me and all my closest cousins...on the couch....not one foot in the whole room was on the floor scared to put the down....i will never forget then how scary that was!!!!!!!!!

I watched again recently after not having seen it for a long time, and was impressed by how good it really is. Ok, so the big rubber shark is not state of the art for these days. But overall it really was well done.

I watched again recently after not having seen it for a long time, and was impressed by how good it really is. Ok, so the big rubber shark is not state of the art for these days. But overall it really was well done.

I'm really hoping...really hoping...that Jaws escapes Hollywood's urge to remake every successful damn movie ever made.

• Like 1

@ruxpin

Did your parents take you to see The Exorcist when you were 5? That's pretty effed up if you ask me. Jaws and Towering Inferno are one thing (certainly not right) but Exorcist???

Now it's all coming to me... :P

I was possibly 6 by the time I saw it, but you'll probably agree that makes little difference. Yeah, it's pretty ####ed up. I begged and pleaded with my dad to go (he was going by himself and from my POV I wanted to go to a movie!) but there IS such a thing as "no." He'd told me it was going to be scary. The thing is that the movie starts out really pretty slow. Dreadfully slow. I had just turned to him and said, "I thought this was supposed to be scary? This is boring!" I swear it was less than a minute before all hell broke loose. I think as a 5/6 year old I even identified with it more because it was happening to a child. It turns out she was a teenager at the time but she definitely didn't look like one. I don't recall nightmares but probably had them.

Anyone seen Salem's Lot? The 70s version, not the recent one.

In the same vain as Exorcist, I saw it when fairly young. I think I was 10 or 11, but my brother definitely saw it at the same time and was 2 1/2 years younger. For those who haven't seen it, it's fairly lame as an adult but kind of scary for a kid. The vampire attacks begin with young kids. An older brother is turned into a vampire and after his funeral comes at night to the window of his younger brother. He is surrounded by mist and raps at the window imploring his younger brother to open it so he can come in. "Open the window. Open the window." repeatedly until, of course, the brother opens it and is bitten. Again, if you watch the movie based on this, be prepared to think it is corny. But at the time it was very scary.

So anyway, my brother was terrified by this movie. About a week or so after seeing it, my friend who was my age who lived around the corner and I decided to be smart asses. We dressed up like vampires complete with bloody mouths and got some frozen carbon. We waited until my brother was in bed and I stood outside his window--frozen carbon in hot water which my friend made sure didn't get cold by adding hot--and rapped on the window, "open the window. open the window." My brother proceeded to wet the bed and went screaming from the room. You'd think I'd have been punished in some way but instead my dad found it hysterical.

My brother is now 42. To this day, he sleeps with the blinds down and closed. No kidding.

@ruxpin

I finally let my daughter watch it at 17. Some of her friends were allowed to watch movies like that pretty young but I told her she could when she was old enough. She's 21 now and has sinced thanked me for "being so mean" then. Same for the tattoo she wanted and is now glad she didn't get.

• Like 1

Anyone seen Salem's Lot? The 70s version, not the recent one.

In the same vain as Exorcist, I saw it when fairly young. I think I was 10 or 11, but my brother definitely saw it at the same time and was 2 1/2 years younger. For those who haven't seen it, it's fairly lame as an adult but kind of scary for a kid. The vampire attacks begin with young kids. An older brother is turned into a vampire and after his funeral comes at night to the window of his older brother. He is surrounded by mist and raps at the window imploring his younger brother to open it so he can come in. "Open the window. Open the window." repeatedly until, of course, the brother opens it and is bitten. Again, if you watch the movie based on this, be prepared to think it is corny. But at the time it was very scary.

So anyway, my brother was terrified by this movie. About a week or so after seeing it, my friend who was my age who lived around the corner and I decided to be smart asses. We dressed up like vampires complete with bloody mouths and got some frozen carbon. We waited until my brother was in bed and I stood outside his window--frozen carbon in hot water which my friend made sure didn't get cold by adding hot--and rapped on the window, "open the window. open the window." My brother proceeded to wet the bed and went screaming from the room. You'd think I'd have been punished in some way but instead my dad found it hysterical.

My brother is now 42. To this day, he sleeps with the blinds down and closed. No kidding.

LMFAO!

(There must have been some form of revenge.) When we were around 20 I used to hang around with this Irish guy and his year older brother. The younger one had grown bigger. Every once in awhile we'd be at a bar and the younger. now bigger brother would just grab the older one and whip him down on the ground..."That's for when I was 12" or whatever age he'd throw in at the time. We always got a laugh out of it.

Same for the tattoo she wanted and is now glad she didn't get.

Thankfully, my daughters have the same opinion about tattoos as I do and won't get them. But I'd told them if they did before they were 18 or while still living in under my roof that I would attempt to take them off with a Brillo/SOS pad while they were still fresh.

I also haven't followed my parents' policy on movies. The side-effect of that is that my 17 year old really has no stomach for any of it.

LMFAO!

(There must have been some form of revenge.) When we were around 20 I used to hang around with this Irish guy and his year older brother. The younger one had grown bigger. Every once in awhile we'd be at a bar and the younger. now bigger brother would just grab the older one and whip him down on the ground..."That's for when I was 12" or whatever age he'd throw in at the time. We always got a laugh out of it.

There was always sibling rivalry and "revenge" for various things, but it wasn't always stated what the revenge was specifically for. I'm sure I received revenge for this episode but I don't think I knew which time it was.

There was the time I was lying on the living room floor watching the Pink Panther (the cartoon, not the horrible movie) and my brother walked in casually and suddenly stomped on my eye with his sneaker. I'm writhing in pain as my brother runs screaming up the hallway, "Mom! [ruxpin] hit my foot with his eye!!" But I think that might have been before Salem's Lot.

@OccamsRazor

I was 8 years old and my idiot parents took me with them to see it in the movies. I'm not sure of it now, but I think they also took my brother who is 2 1/2 years younger. I think now someone might call children & youth.

The only part there was even an attempt to cover my eyes was the final scene when the shark is eating Robert Shaw on the deck of the boat. Fingers were somewhat separated so, of course, I saw the whole thing. I'm telling you, I didn't even want to take a bath afterwards. I was certain the shark was going to come up out of the drain.

To give you some idea of how/why I grew up so smarmy (/emotionally damaged), I also got to see The Exorcist and Towering Inferno in the movies. I was 6 for Towering Inferno and probably 5 to see The Exorcist. For awhile, I really wasn't happy to go into an elevator and The Exorcist simply terrified me.

WOW...thanks for sharing that does explain some things now... :D