Bryzgalov: Stalin a good guy who went a little too far

radoran

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/ilya-bryzgalov-praises-joseph-stalin-wants-ask-einstein-144945290.html

"Yes, there were innocent people who were victims of repressions… But it happens."

Gotta break eggs to make an omelette...

General estimates are that Stalin's Great Purge ended over 700,000 lives. That's a lot of eggs. And that's only what's still in the official archives.

Then, heck, he only deported millions from their homes and forced them to other parts of the country. 14 million sent to the gulag and 7-8 millions more deported (including the entire population of Cechnya). You know, "it happens."

Only five to ten million died in the USSR-wide famine produced by Stalin's farm policy. No word on the chickens, but that sure seems like it would have affected the egg production.

And, of course, it was "only" 2-5 million Ukranians that died in that famine.

So, you know, only 15 million or so dead directly attibutable by Stalin's policies before we get to World War II.

That would be when Stalin buddied up to Hitler to encourage him to go West and still wasn't convinced that his pact with the Nazis was over even with German panzers streaming across Soviet-occupied Poland. That's another 20-30 million.

Now, we arrive at postwar Eastern Europe. Suffice to say, the story doesn't get better.

Yep, quite the omelette ol' Uncle Joe cooked up.

To be fair, we don't follow hockey players for the political opinions (someone should let Thomas know that... ). And if there is ONE player I would NEVER EVER consider 'wise' or 'knowledgeable', it would be Bryz.

He just picked the wrong guy. A lot more people could get on board with Lenin or Trotsky. Stalin is a little harder to paint in a bright light. Victim of propaganda? It exists in every country, and both in times of war and peace. It's just more overt in times of war ;)

Ever read Gramsci? The idea that masses of poeple could be controlled so easily by a medium horrified him.

• Like 1

Since when are interviews, given to the media, part of his personal life???

I'm sure if he came out and praised Hitler, whom many think Stalin is on par with, would be fine with you as well?

For the record, directly translated quote:" “He knew what he was doing. He is described as a ‘bloody tyrant.’ But at the time it couldn’t be any other way. Yes, there were innocent people who were victims of repressions … But it happens.”

Edited by DaGreatGazoo
  • Like 1

I dont even know what to say... this dude is an absolute schmuck of the highest degree. cant we just buy this tool out already and move on? He is literally like a boil festering on the arse of Philadelphia Hockey.

I am not trying to play favorism here I am only trying to tell you how I feel about this in my personal life...

Edited by murraycraven

This might turn into one of 'those' topics. Here's everyone's warning.

Debate the topic and not the poster. No name calling, crap throwing or other primate-like monkey behavior.

-- Do you mean Frank Seravalli --- oops, I mean radoran? jk :)

It's hard for me personally to comment on this and stay objective since I have relatives who were victims of Stalin's repressions. Both survived the GULAG (the camps).

But........There is a very good Russian movie called The Cold Summer of 1953. You can even find it on youtube, I am sure. Find teh version that has subtitles and watch it. It's not *directly* about repressions; it covers rather a very unique time period in the Russian history. After Stalin died in 1953, then Minister of the State issued one of the most controlversial laws in the Soviet history whch amnestied all jailed criminals (not political prisoners, but real hardened criminals). But the movie crosses the topic of repressions at least indirectly.

A really, really good movie...

If Bryz watched that movie - which I assume he didn't - he probably would have a different opinion. And I will venture to guess he does not have the family members who were affected by the repressions.

I will leave it at that.

Edited by Mad Dog

The question given to Bryz was if you were a journalist who would you want to interview?

Thus why wouldn't he view this hypothetical question as a chance to place himself at the top of all journalists, interview the most extreme personalities in history, ........controversial yes, but why not desire to have the opportunity to ask the questions no one else has asked?

For the record, when Bryz first came to Philly he toured the historical section.....he has stated that he enjoys reading history.

He is delusional since he has education, you can see now after his comments about Stalin, suffer a lot in school and beyond this moments as well. Stalin is урка meaning thug and he made USSR based on "Law thieves".he made him God father and all others were thug in law in his gange.

Edited by phlfly

http://sports.yahoo....-144945290.html

"Yes, there were innocent people who were victims of repressions… But it happens."

Gotta break eggs to make an omelette...

General estimates are that Stalin's Great Purge ended over 700,000 lives. That's a lot of eggs. And that's only what's still in the official archives.

Then, heck, he only deported millions from their homes and forced them to other parts of the country. 14 million sent to the gulag and 7-8 millions more deported (including the entire population of Cechnya). You know, "it happens."

Only five to ten million died in the USSR-wide famine produced by Stalin's farm policy. No word on the chickens, but that sure seems like it would have affected the egg production.

And, of course, it was "only" 2-5 million Ukranians that died in that famine.

So, you know, only 15 million or so dead directly attibutable by Stalin's policies before we get to World War II.

That would be when Stalin buddied up to Hitler to encourage him to go West and still wasn't convinced that his pact with the Nazis was over even with German panzers streaming across Soviet-occupied Poland. That's another 20-30 million.

Now, we arrive at postwar Eastern Europe. Suffice to say, the story doesn't get better.

Yep, quite the omelette ol' Uncle Joe cooked up.

The media must love this guy because he always has off the wall comments. The bottom line is Snider and Holmgren have to do the right thing and send Bryzgalov on his merry way. I'm sure his teammates are getting tired of the this ****.

From the Inquirer:

"The news of Bryzgalov's comments is not going to sit well with the Flyers organization. With the rumors and speculation that Bryzgalov will be amnestied this offseason, will the organization take into consideration that he’s a walking PR disaster? Bryzgalov is also costing the team a huge hit in the salary cap, so they could be ready to cut ties with the eccentric goaltender."

Was wondering this myself. These comments are on a par with praising Hitler and are so wrong, ignorant and outrageous that I wonder how the team can tolerate keeping him around any longer. He also thinks people in Philly scam to stay on welfare. As if his play wasn't brutal enough.

He also thinks people in Philly scam to stay on welfare.

That would never, ever, ever, happen in someplace like Philly.... :ph34r:

I wonder what that will make him think of himself when he is paid something close to 1.5 mil a year for the NEXT 14 YEARS to NOT PLAY HOCKEY.....