This could actually happen....

WingNut722

@WingNut722

I hated myself.. For a minute ;)

@doom88

The league explained why Malkin would not be suspended then. But since you apparently missed it:

NHL will not suspend Pens' Malkin

Associated Press | June 1, 2009

DETROIT -- Pittsburgh Penguins star Evgeni Malkin won't be suspended for Game 3 of the Stanley Cup finals despite drawing an instigator penalty in the final 19 seconds of a 3-1 loss to Detroit in Game 2 on Sunday night.

Stanley Cup Playoffs Blog

Check out the latest updates and analysis from the 2009 Stanley Cup playoffs as our NHL crew weighs in:

• 2009 Playoffs blog

Under NHL rules, any player drawing an instigating penalty in the final five minutes is to be suspended for the next game, but the rule allows considerable flexibility depending on the circumstances.

"None of the criteria in this rule applied in this situation," NHL director of hockey operations Colin Campbell said in a statement issued by the league about an hour after the game ended. "Suspensions are applied under this rule when a team attempts to send a message in the last five minutes by having a player instigate a fight. A suspension could also be applied when a player seeks retribution for a prior incident. Neither was the case here and therefore the one game suspension is rescinded."

Malkin fought with the Red Wings' Henrik Zetterberg shortly after Penguins forward Max Talbot stuck his stick into goalie Chris Osgood's midsection, with Talbot defending himself later by saying he was poking at the puck. Malkin and Zetterberg both tore their jerseys, but didn't appear to inflict much damage on each other.

"Those two guys weren't even punching each other," Penguins captain Sidney Crosby said.

Penguins forward Bill Guerin said if Carolina's Scott Walker wasn't suspended for sucker punching Boston's Aaron Ward during the Eastern Conference semifinals, Malkin certainly shouldn't be suspended.

"I've seen a lot worse in these playoffs," Guerin said. "That's just emotion. That happens. A couple of guys like that going at it, there's nothing wrong with that. Two great players going at it, that's fine. ... It's not like a tough guy fighting a star, or a big guy fighting a little guy."

Malkin, who leads playoff scorers with 30 points, scored Pittsburgh's only goal in Game 2. Not known for his physicality, Malkin has shown no reluctance to jump into scrums in the playoffs and, with 41 minutes, is third in penalty minutes.

Malkin had support from the opposing locker room, too.

"It's not that big of a deal," Osgood said. "At the end, he was trying his hardest and everybody got in there and wrestled around. Nobody got hurt."

Although his teammates were certain Malkin would not be suspended, coach Dan Bylsma was concerned immediately after the game, saying, "If he got an instigator in the last five minutes, I think there are rules that are clear. I don't know."

According to NHL rule 47.22: "A player who is deemed to be the instigator of an altercation in the final five minutes or at any time in overtime shall be suspended for one game, pending a review of the incident. The director of hockey operations will review every such incident and may rescind the suspension based on a number of criteria. The criteria for the review shall include, but not be limited to, the score, previous incidents, etc. ..."

Following Campbell's review, he determined Malkin should have been assessed a game misconduct for not having his jersey tied down during the fight.

So knowing this now... Do you still feel the Pens were favored somehow or that we shouldn't have won Game 7? If so... Please feel free to fill me in on why.

Edited by Polaris922

Blah blah blah and so on and so forth

Following Campbell's review, he determined Malkin should have been assessed a game misconduct for not having his jersey tied down during the fight.

So knowing this now... Do you still feel the Pens were favored somehow or that we shouldn't have won Game 7? If so... Please feel free to fill me in on why.

Come on Polaris, are you REALLY trying to use FACTS and RULES in a thread like this? What are you thinking. I don't know how many times I have tried to explain the Malkin thing to haters, it just doesn't work The simpelest reasoning I've tried to use is this. That rule was put in place to prevent coaches from sending out the goons at the end of the game to fight.

Now if someone who wants to argue the point that Dan Bylsma tapped Malkin on the shoulder and said "Hey Geno, I know that you're one of the most talented players in the NHL, but go out there right now and risk injury by getting into a fight to prove a point", I'd have to check their sanity.

I was trying to find video of that Malkin incident , the fight with Zetterberg is the thing YouTube comes back with. Based on that video that was a heated scrum around the net that turned into a fight, and if Geno was to be punished , Zetts should have been as well, that's a wash as far as who's absence hurts their team more.

Is this the incident that causes the outrage ?

I seem to remember more to it than the YouTube clip shows, but that was long ago and since I had no dog in that fight so its not seared into my memory as it is for some.

I don't like the Pens, in fact, I hate them with the fire of a million burning suns. I think because the league seems to look the other way when their most marketable and skilled players act like punks , and the Penguins have 2.5 of those players on their team, they appear to "get away" with stuff. And those guys do get the superstar discount, but so does Shea Weber, Marty Brodure , our guy Giroux-tnell and the other guys the league promotes as the "face " of their teams. You don't want your stars acting like asses but they are human and the game is fast , physical, played in a finite space with sticks. Stuff happens.

Back to the topic at hand, it will be interesting to see if Babcock has an answer for Quenville's adjustment of putting his stars on the same line, and pairing Seabrook with Keith. He used his last change very well and kept Towes away from Zetterberg , the Hawks deserved the result last night. Can the Wings match the Hawks new gear?

Edited by mojo1917

@mojo1917

That is the incident in question, there was a scrum in front of the net after a scoring chance(like that does not happen in the playoffs)with alot of players pushing and shoving, and Malkin came in late and picked Zetts as his partner, and Malkin DID start the fight. Here's the thing, the rule WORKED as designed. It WAS Malkin instigating the fight between the two. So he got an extra two for instigating, and because it was within the last five of the game, he got tossed and got an immediate suspension. Zetterburgh(puposely spelled incorrectly as all things are now 'burgh related) would NOT get a suspension, because that only goes to the instigator. So there would be no washing of the two there.The officials did what they were supposed to do, based on the rules.

But the 'Haters' who apparently can't read a rule book stop there. There is specifically a part of the rule that calls for an immediate review of the suspension. See, the rule is there to stop the gooning, not to penalize spontaneous fights in heated games. So the first thing that they are to ask themselves is, didi he player go out for the sole intent of starting the fight. To which the answer is no. I mean really, does anyone think that you would send out your stars like Malkin, Crosby, Letang and so forth to start a fight? So the suspension was recinded. The whole issues was resolved in the way is was supposed to be resolved.

This is just another non issue that has been blown out of proportion by fans who don't understand the rules.

As to Pens stars getting away with stuff, heck, I'll agree with you there. I'd have Black and Gold fan glasses on if I didn't. But look at how much stuff they put up with that doesn't get call either. Does that make it right? No. But you take the good with the bad and move on. The Pens got a weak interference call at the beginning of game 5 to put them on the PP, sorry but I'll take it. But then the ref's let what was a pretty clear check from behind on Letang go that led to the Sens shorty intead of a 5-3 PP. Oh well, **** happens, move on.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@ruxpin

Yes! I've been able to drag it out that long a couple times! But I gotta admit it ain't often and it ain't easy!

Really? That's awesome!

I'm still working on it. I'm up to 45 seconds, but it's different with a partner.

• Like 1