This could actually happen....

WingNut722

Another full 60 minute effort by the Red Wings last night to handle the Blackhawks. Let's review:

The Blackhawks went 5-0-0 against the Red Wings in the regular season.

The Blackhawks put together a string of 27 straight games without a regulation loss

The Blackhawks lost two in a row in the regular season only a handful of times

The Blackhawks defeated the Minnesota Wild in 5 games in the WCQF.

The Red Wings just handed them two straight regulation losses, one in each building.

I know we all figured that the Blackhawks would easily handle the Red Wings in 5, maybe 6 games, but they way they're playing, there's a distinct possibility that the Detroit Red Wings could come out on top.

What an incredible game to watch last night. Gustav Nyquist has a fair bit of magic in his hands. Dare I call him Pavel Nyquist??? The first two goals came from unlikely sources on heads-up plays. Detroit had dictated the play for the entire game last night, with the exception of a few minutes after Kane's goal, where it appears the 'Hawks were starting to hit their stride. Thankfully, the disallowed goal put a lid on it.

The Red Wings now have full home ice advantage for the rest of this series. If they win Thursday, they'll have a stranglehold on the series. If they lose, hopefully the loss will be extremely close, as in a flukey goal in overtime, so they can still hold their heads high and claim the moral victory.

Personally, I think the 'Hawks are just plain stunned right now that anyone (ANYONE!!) can hand them two straight losses like that. Least of all these scrappy Red Wings who could pot even 10 goals against the in 5 total games all season long.

What say you?

• Like 1

The one thing I wish is that we played Wednesday instead of giving the Hawks an extra day to get their heads back on. Wow. My wife said if I had died in my sleep last night that the undertaker would have needed a hammer and chisel to get the grin off of my face.....

• Like 2

I've been calling for the Hawks not to make the finals. I actually thought they might stumble against Minny but ruled that out once Minny had its goaltending issues.

I don't see why--and didn't going in--the Wings don't take care of this series in 6.

I wonder if Detroit has some sag after beating the Hawks and then facing the Kings (assuming Kings, if not, it's another Pitt/Detroit final and may be anyway). Kings might actually be a more difficult opponent in the end.

• Like 2

@WingNut722 You must be quite proud of your team, they are playing their best hockey when it is most important. Highly skilled goal by Nyguist, I knew he was highly thought of, but did not dream he was *this* talented. Nice to see Carlo C healthy and contributing on the pp, at least the Wings got some bang for their buck. Most see a rookie d man in McKeyser, but he was a pretty big loss when he went down, wow can that kid skate. With Smith and McKeyser on next years team, the defense looks set for quite a while. Howard is playing like he deserves every penny of the new contract, nice to see. I think no matter how this series ends now, Babcocks job is now secure, which is nice to see, the best coach in the league should never be looking for work, and that is exactly where Babs fits on the coaching scale. Wings doing an excellent job of twarting Toews, which is no easy task, almost wondering if Johnathan is injured, he's not looking like himself, but maybe just an excellent checking job by the Wings.

• Like 1

@jammer2 It's pretty thrilling to see these guys play they way they have been. Living up to their potential. Despite the less-than-stellar regular season, they can be proud of a first-rate performance in the Playoffs.

Toews may be ailing from something, but I know the Wings have made sure to keep him tightly checked. Still, he's an elite player, and elite players should still manage to break free a time or two. He's had a few good looks, and he's certainly getting his chances. I think he had 7 shots last night, including one crossbar. Things just aren't going for him right now.

It is good to see Colaiacovo back in good form. He spent the better part of the season on the bench for one reason or another, but let's not forget that he's a pretty good puck-moving blueliner, which is why the Wings picked him up the first place. He'll be around next year as he's on a 2-year contract, but depending on how well DeKeyser develops, he may be let go at the end of it.

For the record, I never though Babcock's job was in jeopardy. He's been so successful with Detroit to date that there's no way Kenny Holland would dump him after one lousy season. He's at least earned that much respect with the organization.

@ruxpin LA would be a tough opponent, but I sure would rather face them than San Jose. Eitherway, they're back to travelling long distance and playing late games. However, if they make it through that, then I think they'll be just tenacious enough to take the wind out of Pittsburgh's sales. I mean, hell, they came that far...

Edited by WingNut722
  • Like 1

@WingNut722

I agree with the possibility of taking the wind out of Pittsburgh's sails. I'm not sure I agree with the San Jose vs. LA thing, though. Primarily because, like the Blues and the Caps, I will NEVER believe they're worth a thing until proven otherwise.

Toews is suffering from an illness Wingnut, it is a common Western conference malady called Zetterbergitis. Symptoms of Zetterbergitis consist of disorientation, feeling like you are skating in mud, not getting clean shots and generally feeling harassed while on the ice. Most recent victim was Corey Perry who went goalless in seven games earlier in the month. The only known cure is to go golfing while others continue playing. Rumor is that Zetterbergitis is spreading, and will be going East next year......

• Like 1

Toews is suffering from an illness Wingnut, it is a common Western conference malady called Zetterbergitis. Symptoms of Zetterbergitis consist of disorientation, feeling like you are skating in mud, not getting clean shots and generally feeling harassed while on the ice. Most recent victim was Corey Perry who went goalless in seven games earlier in the month. The only known cure is to go golfing while others continue playing. Rumor is that Zetterbergitis is spreading, and will be going East next year......

Another known cure is Penguinism... Known to have cured it at least once ;)

• Like 1

True, but Crosby sure suffered from it in 2008, lol. Zetterbergitis really taught him a few lessons.

He got over it in 2009. ;)

Yayaya, lol.

Z gets credit as a hockey player but he always seems to live slightly in the shadow of Datsyuk who is a human highlight reel. IMHO Zetterberg is a very, very underrated defensive forward, he hasn't put the points up against Chicago but his primary job is to make sure Toews does nothing. He did that to Perry in the last round with devastating effect, then got his offense going as well in the final couple of games.

His defense in 2008 in the finals, killing penalties I swear he made it look like he was doing it single handed, Crosby was blown away, you could see the stunned look on his face. Your right, 2009 was a different story, but I cannot blame Hank for that, your boys just came of age.

• Like 2

Well, maybe Penguinism AND a complete disregard to Evgeny Malkin's illegality that allowed him to play in the final game. He SHOULD have been suspended for that, and then he scored twice(?) in the final game. And thus, Gary Buttman got his parity he always wanted.

Not that I'm still steaming about that or anything. ~~~:-l

Well, maybe Penguinism AND a complete disregard to Evgeny Malkin's illegality that allowed him to play in the final game. He SHOULD have been suspended for that, and then he scored twice(?) in the final game. And thus, Gary Buttman got his parity he always wanted.

Not that I'm still steaming about that or anything. ~~~:-l

Actually Talbot scored the two goals not Malkin.

If Malkin had been suspended it might have wound up different.

HOWEVER

I am not going to alibi or use it as an excuse, the Pens and Wings played a seven game series, Pittsburgh won and that is that. We split back to back Stanley cup finals, one each, it would have been nice to have won them both, but up three games to two we should have closed it out, Malkin not getting suspended had nothing to do with it. We had a chance to close it out twice, had home ice in game seven and should have never lost the series. Reluctant kudos to the Penguins (But Zetterberg still owns Crosby).

• Like 1

I thought you lived in Pittsburgh. (I know this is low-hanging fruit, but I can't resist!)

And because I live in Pittsburgh I should know to keep my expectations in the basement when dealing with a Flyers fan ;)

• Like 1

And because I live in Pittsburgh I should know to keep my expectations in the basement when dealing with a Flyers fan ;)

This may be the weakest "argument" (feces-throwing competition?) I've been involved in in a very long time. Let's stop now before we both end up hating ourselves or vomiting or something :(

If Malkin had been suspended it might have wound up different.

HOWEVER

I am not going to alibi or use it as an excuse, the Pens and Wings played a seven game series, Pittsburgh won and that is that. We split back to back Stanley cup finals, one each, it would have been nice to have won them both, but up three games to two we should have closed it out, Malkin not getting suspended had nothing to do with it. We had a chance to close it out twice, had home ice in game seven and should have never lost the series. Reluctant kudos to the Penguins (But Zetterberg still owns Crosby).

You take the "high" road now, but that'll change when you have to play those "not favored at all by the league" Penguins* more next season in the East. It still happens. I rarely feel bad for the Red Wings, but that Malkin incident made me furious. The only other player to have that level of egregious "benefit of doubt" from the league was your Nashville nemesis Shea Weber (how's that glass taste Zetts?)

Detroit should have had both Cups, and while yes it was a seven game series and they had their chances, you I hate to see significant external factors like that impact a game/series, much less a championship.

:angry:

I fully expect something from Polaris or B21 soon enough...