Host Saskatoon Blades Eliminated from Memorial Cup

flyercanuck

Last year the host Shawinigan Cataractes won the Memorial Cup. After being off for 51 days due to a first round sweep in the Dub, the host team bowed out of the tourament with barely a whimper in a 6-1 pasting at the hands of the Jeckyl and Hyde London Knights. The Knights themselves were coming off a 9-2 loss to Halifax, whose only loss of the tournament so far was to the Blades. Ya, it's been one of those.

Flyer prospect Anthony Stolarz likely won't see anymore playing time after being lit up for 5 goals in 2 periods in the 9-2 loss and 5 more in just over 2 periods in a 6-3 loss to Portland. Patterson hasn't been great in his relief, but he at least gives them a chance to win.

Another Flyer prospect Taylor Leier of the Winterhawks was levelled with an elbow to the head from Saskatoon defenceman Dalton Thrower in the previous game. The play went unpenalized, but Thrower was suspended for the remainder of the tournament after review. London faces off against those Hawks tonight with Halifax Mooseheads waiting to play the winner Sunday for the championship. Leier didn't look too healthy after the hit, and my guess is he's done for the year. Too bad he was playing really well for Portland,.

Too bad he was playing really well for Portland

Haven't seen anywhere that he will/will not play....hope it's not to serious and he can play.

Yet also won't get my hopes up...

...by the way what the hell is a "Cataracte" anyways?????????????????

Edit: Sad not only does the Pens look scary now but wait till Pouliot and Maata are skating on their blueline for the next 10 plus...shhheesh.

Edited by OccamsRazor

@OccamsRazor

Leier did not look good when he was down. I'm pretty sure he was unconcious.

A Cataracte is french for rapid or waterfall, as in fast running water. It's actually used sometimes in english as well, but maybe only in Canada.

Must be a Canuck thing have never heard that word...but I'm ready for jeopardy now!

Leier will be a big loss. He is Portland's best defensive forward they have and he chips in on the offense as well. I am ***** pissed. Being a Flyer pick, Leier turned into my favorite Hawk. With all the flash that the Hawks have in their offensive game, Leier and Peterr are the guys that hold down the ice. Big loss but they will win it all anyway!

Haven't seen anywhere that he will/will not play....hope it's not to serious and he can play.

Yet also won't get my hopes up...

...by the way what the hell is a "Cataracte" anyways?????????????????

Edit: Sad not only does the Pens look scary now but wait till Pouliot and Maata are skating on their blueline for the next 10 plus...shhheesh.

What I've seen of Maata hasn't made me feel bad about not picking him. Granted I've only seen him twice and didn't notice him once, but the time I did notice him he was being turned inside out by Barrie's Schiefele and generally abused by Schiefele's line. Ekblad of Barrie looked like a better prospect.

What I've seen of Maata hasn't made me feel bad about not picking him.

Yeah wasn't it Pouliot that was in the face of McKinnon when he scored his first shot and he did nothing to even prevent the shot just let him shoot...looked Coburnesque..not elite for sure...oh well.