So now it's a coin flip...or is it?

SpikeDDS

Not really. Chicago has the momentum. Chicago is at home. We had them where we wanted them and needed 20 minutes of good hockey to send them home, and we got beat. We broke down for 10 minutes in the 3rd and now it's a Game 7. You've gotta give the edge to the Hawks as far as odds go. Chicago is now showing why they won the President's trophy, and if they play like they have the last 2 games, without some breaks, we are done.

Having said all that, I think we made a few mistakes in G6, but we played much better than in G5. If we play the game like we can play it, and not like Games 1 and 5, even if we lose G7, we can leave the ice with our heads held high.

BTW, I hate it when a team starts to say that the 4th one is the hardest one to win. It is TRUE, but it tends to be prophetic.

• Like 1

I'm with Daryl Sutter when it comes to game to game momentum in a hockey series. Tomorrow is a new game, adjustments will be made the score will be 0-0 everyone has the same rest , it will come down to who steps up to the moment and executes better, no reason the Redwings can't win game 7. none.

Quenville having last change will mean Babcock has to be nimble with Z and his forwards if he wants to continue to have him destroy Toews...and again make no mistake Zetterberg is destroying Toews, doing him raw whatever you want to say, Z has been the most effective player versus Toews i've seen.

• Like 2

The problem is depth, we just cannot hang with these guys if their third and fourth lines are on. Z and Dats are shutting down their top lines 5 on 5, but the three third period goals were all scored by bottom six forwards. The Frolik goal was a heartbreaker on a borderline at best call, but hey, it happens. To me, it all comes down to Franzen, Filpulla and Kronwall have been non existent in this series offensively, and unless they can manage to step up, it is tee time this weekend. Still, playing with house money, taking out the Ducks, forcing the Hawks to seven games, cannot complain at all. Not a bad post season, after a mediocre regular season.

• Like 1

I'm with Daryl Sutter when it comes to game to game momentum in a hockey series. Tomorrow is a new game, adjustments will be made the score will be 0-0 everyone has the same rest , it will come down to who steps up to the moment and executes better, no reason the Redwings can't win game 7. none.

Quenville having last change will mean Babcock has to be nimble with Z and his forwards if he wants to continue to have him destroy Toews...and again make no mistake Zetterberg is destroying Toews, doing him raw whatever you want to say, Z has been the most effective player versus Toews i've seen.

Zetterberg has a history of this in the post season, he left Scoreless Perry in his wake in the first round, the first time we faced the Pens (2008) in the finals he taught Crosby who was boss. I still remember a Penguin power play that Z seemed to kill all by himself, at one point he had Crosby sitting on the ice with Z's leg between his legs looking up trying to figure out what the hell was going on. Datsyuk deservedly gets credit for being an amzing two way player, but Z has proven over and over in the post season that he is as good of a shut down forward as there is in the game.

That said, I would love to see Babs make an adjustment in the next game, Let a lower line try to shut down Toews and give Zetterberg and Datsyuk room to roam. Our offense needs a spark, if Z and Dats get a chance, they may provide the spark we need, let Howard know he may be faced with a few more shots from the big boy and just see who is the better goalie, Crawford or Howard. Just play wide open, end to end hockey and may the best team win. I think Chicago would be shocked if the Wings came out doing this.

• Like 1

@yave1964

Agreed. The Wings really have not come out of the gate in any game this series firing on all cylinders. Even G2 and G4, it took us almost half the 1st to finally catch our stride. It would be a different game if we came out from the start and really went at them. Seems like Chicago has done that EVERY game to us, and some games we have been able to weather it, and some not.

To me, what also cannot be overlooked (and it has been for the most part) is the job that Chicago has done keeping Pavel Datsyuk in check. One goal for the series, and no assists if I am not mistaken. And let's be honest, the lower-tier players have contributed offensively in this series, as much or more than our big guys. I think the difference in this series is two things: that Chicago has forced Pav and Z primarily into defensive roles--which they are doing well--but taking away their time and space with the puck. The other thing that is much more obvious is our 3rd and 4th line and lower D pairs' inability to contain Chicago's 3rd and 4th lines. That's where the depth really kills us.

The press have really emphasized Z on Toews, but quite honestly, Chicago has not been given enough credit for limiting Z's and Pav's opportunities.

The key in G7 will be dictating play right from the start, and playing a consistent 60-minute game, like G2. But Chicago won't be as vulnerable as they we in G2. It will ultimately be a game of wills. If the Wings don't play like they want it for the entire game, they are done. Chicago has to play most of the game that way, but I think they can afford a short lapse more than the Wings can.

Edited by SpikeDDS
  • Like 1

@SpikeDDS

@yave1964

@mojo1917

@flyercanuck

Agreed an all counts, Gentlemen. There's only one chance and that is to push hard. Get pucks in deep and hard. The biggest problem they had (that I saw) was puck control. Particularly through the neutral zone. This has been a perennial problem for the Red Wings and now it needs to be alleviated quickly. Everyone needs to play like it's their last game of their CAREERS.

• Like 2

@WingNut722

I think we will know what kind of game it is going to be in the first 10 minutes. Either the Wings will understand that last line you typed and come out gunning, or they...won't. And if they don't...they'll get what their play asks for. Chicago will see to it, and I find it hard to believe that once Chicago gets a hold of Game 7, that they will let it go.

But if the Wings do come out playing right out of the gate...what a game it can be! I'm hoping for something, competitively-speaking, along the lines of Game 4. That was one of the best hockey games I've watched in a while, and I would still have said so if Chicago had ended up on the winning end of it too. Fantastic hockey! Hoping for something like it in Game 7! Win or lose, I want a great hockey game!

@SpikeDDS

If you can get the Detroit Red Wings to read my post....well, then I need to make sure I spell everything correctly!!!

Winning in Chicago is not too unfamiliar to them, though it will be tough. They did play well in Game 4 and a performance like that would be welcome. But as it stands, I'm hoping for a performance like Game 2, where they handed Chicago a 4-1 loss in their barn. It's a whole different atmosphere and the joint will be jumpin'.

I think you summed it up perfectly, though. The game will be won or lost in the first 10 minutes. Unfortunately, the Red Wings don't always come out swinging in important games.

The good news is that, if victorious, we have the Kings waiting for us, instead of those pesky Sharks. The Wings have a much better opportunity against LAK than SJS.

The other fun fact I figured out this postseason... The Red Wings move to the Eastern Conference next season. This removes the tremendous travel burden from their shoulders but also takes them away from their all-time rival Chicago Blackhawks. How interesting is it that this post-season alone has put the Red Wings through a 7-Game series travelling back and forth to southern California, a 7-game series against Chicago, and potentially, another long series back to California? Right before they move to the East, the run up the maximum amount of travel miles as well as the maximum number of games against the 'Hawks. Just sayin'...

• Like 1

@SpikeDDS

The good news is that, if victorious, we have the Kings waiting for us, instead of those pesky Sharks. The Wings have a much better opportunity against LAK than SJS.

The other fun fact I figured out this postseason... The Red Wings move to the Eastern Conference next season. This removes the tremendous travel burden from their shoulders but also takes them away from their all-time rival Chicago Blackhawks. How interesting is it that this post-season alone has put the Red Wings through a 7-Game series travelling back and forth to southern California, a 7-game series against Chicago, and potentially, another long series back to California? Right before they move to the East, the run up the maximum amount of travel miles as well as the maximum number of games against the 'Hawks. Just sayin'...

Agree about LAK vs. SJS. Better matchup for us, and pretty much same travel.

Technically speaking, the worst travel-wise would have been Anaheim, then, assuming Minnesota beat Chicago, the LAK, followed by Vancouver and finally the SCFs with Montreal. But seriously, the road may actually be LONGER going though Chicago, if you know what I mean.