Gonchar Signs: 2 years-$10 Million!

Guest DaGreatGazoo

The Dallas Stars have agreed to terms on a two-year, $10 million contract with defenceman Sergei Gonchar, according to TSN Hockey Insider Darren Dreger. The deal is pending the completion of signed paperworkThe Stars acquired Gonchar from the Ottawa Senators on Friday in exchange for a conditional sixth-round pick in this year's draft.

Dreger reported that Gonchar's agent, JP Barry, was given permission to find a trade partner for Ottawa when the Senators decided not to re-sign the veteran defenceman. KHL interest accelerated the process for Gonchar, who will likely agree to a two-year deal with the Stars.

The 39-year-old played the past three seasons for Ottawa, recording 15 goals and 76 assists. He has played 1,177 games in 18 NHL seasons.

Gonchar, whose veteran presence on the Senators' blue-line helped offset the loss of Erik Karlsson for much of the regular season, was reportedly seeking a multi-year deal.]

Reports indicated he was considering signing in Russia's Kontinental Hockey League.

Gonchar completed the final season of a three-year, $16.5-million contract. His cap hit was $5.5 million.

If Gonchar signs with Dallas, it will be his fifth NHL team. The sixth-round pick is conditional on Gonchar signing a contract with the Stars. Gonchar was originally selected 14th in the 1992 draft by the Washington Capitals. He won the Stanley Cup with the Pittsburgh Penguins in 2009.

Edited by DaGreatGazoo

this is like Wisnewski setting the market for Carle... i know i talk about him a lot but damn, i wouldn't pay that much for Gonchar from 5 years ago.

this means team captain Streit will command at least 5 million a year, and no thanks, he just became over priced by this signing.

The Dallas Stars have agreed to terms on a two-year, $10 million contract with defenceman Sergei Gonchar, according to TSN Hockey Insider Darren Dreger.

Good now i don't have to worry about Homer trying some crazy idea of bringing him to the Flyers like i read in a couple rumors articles...wonder if this is the first step in the Stars trading Gologoski???? Time will tell.

Kris Letang. Step right up. $7,000,000 per year awaits you.

You think he will get more than Karlsson at 6.5M? I think somewhere between 6 and 6.5M is much more likely especially since Shero will need to try to keep Malkin also.

You think he will get more than Karlsson at 6.5M? I think somewhere between 6 and 6.5M is much more likely especially since Shero will need to try to keep Malkin also.

I thought Karlsson was at $7,000,000. So revised that to "Kris Letang. Step right up. $6,000,000 per year awaits you."

He may get it...but it won't be from the Pens if they keep Malkin.

I thought Karlsson was at $7,000,000. So revised that to "Kris Letang. Step right up. $6,000,000 per year awaits you."

He may get it...but it won't be from the Pens if they keep Malkin.

I'd trade Malkin to a team like the Oilers getting talented youth in return, ASAP. Keep Letang he is one of the best skating d-men out there.

I'd trade Malkin to a team like the Oilers getting talented youth in return, ASAP. Keep Letang he is one of the best skating d-men out there.

I'd definitely go West for Malkin but if your are the Oilers, is adding him going to make you better considering what you would have to give up?

I/M/H/O, Malkin makes the most sense for a team that is a Cup contender who is "this" close to getting over the top. A team that needs a player to draw in fans, too....though that is not a necessity.

I keep coming back to the Sharks and Blues. Pavelski and Couture + picks? Backes and Shattenkirk + picks? (Without looking at stats and contracts.)

I keep coming back to the Sharks and Blues. Pavelski and Couture +

No way do the Sharks give up those two + that's their future , it would be awesome for the Pens to get those two +. I would say more likely a Thorton , or Marleau one of Pavalski or Couture plus picks and pieces the Sharks GM ought to be shot to trade both those guys for any one player not named Crosby.

Edited by mojo1917