Price tag going up for Bernier

Sources say the Toronto Maple Leafs have significantly anted up the price to pry Bernier from the Kings and this is yet another reason why the Flyers can’t make a final decision on whether to file a compliance buyout on goalie Ilya Bryzgalov.

The Leafs, New York Islanders, Florida Panthers, Minnesota Wild and the New Jersey Devils reportedly are in the bidding, but sources say Toronto might be offering more than others are willing to pay.

“We’re not really talking,” said one Flyers source, which likely means general manager Paul Holmgren can’t match what others are offering Kings GM Dean Lombardi for a guy many feel could have been a No. 1 starter were it not for how well Jonathan Quick has performed.

Source

I have been a fan for years ad feel Bernier in the right situation is a solid goalie, the Wild would be a perfect location and have the pieces to offer I think splitting time with Reimer would be a rip off for both of them...

I hope Homer does not get hyper-focused for Bernier and overpay... As much as I would like to get him there are other options available that can be had within reason and next years crop of FA goalies will be good.

Either way I hope Bryz is bought out and we can all move on. This offseason is going to be dicey and I am a little nervous about what Homer may do to this team...

Let the Homer and Snider Carnival begin!

• Like 2

Sources say the Toronto Maple Leafs have significantly anted up the price to pry Bernier from the Kings and this is yet another reason why the Flyers can’t make a final decision

No way Toronto has the stuff to land him over the Flyers in fact they need to get to work signing the guys they need to sign before worrying about Bernier.

The Leafs have Gunnarsson, Franson and Fraser whom all need resigning and also Kadri, Bozak and Colborne in too...and they have two guys under contract in net next year...not sure how much of an upgrade Bernier is over Reimer...who is ok in net.

@OccamsRazor The big thing with the Leafs is the defense....Gardiner will most certainly force out someone from the crowd on defense (he was not a regular last year) and most likely Morgan Riley will force the Leafs management once again...and that's not even talking about Stuart Percy....who I think will be an exceptional talent (one of the few OHL games I saw last year, Percy was the captain and he looked WICKED. That's not even counting Jesse Blacker, who is ready to play at the NHL level, and really... his growth will be stunted by another year at the AHL level. Then there is Tyler Biggs, who I don't think will turn into anything but an average checker, but he was a first rounder, so still has value...don't be fooled, the Leafs have a LOT of bargaining chips.

Wow--it's good to be the Kings--to have a Stanley Cup-caliber team, and your next move involves getting a haul for some dude who DOESN'T EVEN PLAY, doesn't even necessarily make your team a contender. What a deal, much like Bruins hero Thomas taking a walk on the wild side, but in steps Rask. The Flyers used to have that ablility, not so much today... It's pretty hard to even assemble a contender, never mind have parts in reserve over which other GMs salivate... Must feel nice for Dean and Hextall...

• Like 2

@OccamsRazor The big thing with the Leafs is the defense....Gardiner will most certainly force out someone from the crowd on defense (he was not a regular last year) and most likely Morgan Riley will force the Leafs management once again...and that's not even talking about Stuart Percy....who I think will be an exceptional talent (one of the few OHL games I saw last year, Percy was the captain and he looked WICKED. That's not even counting Jesse Blacker, who is ready to play at the NHL level, and really... his growth will be stunted by another year at the AHL level. Then there is Tyler Biggs, who I don't think will turn into anything but an average checker, but he was a first rounder, so still has value...don't be fooled, the Leafs have a LOT of bargaining chips.

Well of those guys Franson is certainly one that will be resigned the others not so sure...and Leafs unlike the Flyers can throw a backup in to replace Bernier ie. Scrivens or Reimer really their choice...i am one of the few that isn't sold on Bernier and would just pass unless they take Read and Mezz then we'd have a deal..would like the keep the core intact.