Montoya as Backup Candidate?

Guest Howie58

Greetings:

Would this guy be a potential partner to Mason. Seem like upside is there, has good background.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nhl/1848/player

I suspect we wouldn't pay much. Winnipeg wants to keep him as backup but given the choice between Winnipeg and Philly, I suspect most would like the latter.

Any thoughts? I see Emery as a potential pickup to, but would the guy want to come back to an organization that didn't seem to keen on giving him a shot after surgery.

Best,

Howie

@Howie58 I always stick up for Montoya when I get the chance. He was pretty solid for the inept Isles a few years back. That and the fact he saved my fantasy season as an emergency back up....so I owe him....ha ha. He would not be in my first 4 or 5 options, but I would not dismiss him if a few other tenders slipped by us. I always wondered what he would have been like with a respectable team and getting a full season to show what he can do. However, I do consider him strictly as a back up now, but the Flyers really need somebody who has proven he can take the reigns...after all, what if Mason got hurt.

This additon is more important than some think, I think it's fair to say the playoffs could very well be made or lost depending on who they select as our second goalie....that's why I'd lean more towards a Theodore type over Montoya, he's been a starter, more experience etc. Same goes for Emery, he has at least been handed the reigns for a full season.

• Like 3

@Howie58

Montoya was highly coveted when the Rangers drafted him, and fairly high (8th?) I guess he's a bit of a bust that way. Can't say I've seen much of him lately.

Howdy FC: Yes, he seemed to be a good prospect. The fact that Winnipeg wants to keep him tells me he has some value in a backup role. I also wonder if Homer will look overseas. Nothing would shock me.

I really hope we don't go with a big bucks alternative..Milller or Luongo...yikes.

Best,

Howie

• Like 1

Yea he's been a backup on a few teams, wouldn't want him as a back up plan if Mason falters unless they are planning to tank next year for a top 5 pick.

My big fear is that they go with a Miller or Luongo as their usual one big move to oblivion and cap problems. I see him as a low pay, possibly good backup. If indeed Winnipeg wants him as backup to Pavelec tells me he has some value.

Best,

Howie

The Jets may want to keep him, but they were scared of starting him. Pavelec's numbers are decidedly Bryz-like, but management seems to have an erectile function for him. Soooo, I wonder what Montoya thinks of that situation.

My big fear is that they go with a Miller or Luongo as their usual one big move to oblivion and cap problems.

Good day, Howie.

If the Flyers have learned ANYTHING from the Bryz fiasco, they will not travel that devious road again. But I gave up trying to figure out this team and their ways of thinking.

• Like 1

@Howie58 We all remeber how utterly mediocre the Isles were 3 years ago. Well, that year Montoya played 21 games and posted a 2.36 GGA and a .921 sv percentage....that tells me there is something there...

Yep...when I see the other UFAs in goal I am really underwhelmed.

It will be interesting to see what Homer does here....Mason is a big question mark. We need D and have to sign G. So a low cost alternative makes sense.

Thanks for your leadership role here. You do a fine job.

Best,

Howie

@Howie58

I see your pov and hope whoever Homer signs is for a 1 year deal. We can see who will be available next year and then make a longterm decision if Mason doesn't work out.

We are always wondering what the thinking is of this GM and his minions. But I will gag if he gives up a pile to sign Miller and our D isn't rehabbed.

Best,

Howie

But I gave up trying to figure out this team and their ways of thinking.

They think we always want big names, which we sometimes do but unfortunately by the time they get them, those guys are over the hill or has beens and are getting ready for retirement. They can say atleast those players suited up for the Flyers in their career. :(

• Like 1

Montoya played in San Antonio before he was traded to the Islanders organization. I got to see him on a regular basis down here. He was thoroughly un-impressive. Mediocre in the AHL. He had the perfect storm in the islanders system, multiple goalie injuries and he got called up and forced into the starting role. 21 games and he hasn't really done anything since. If I was Homer, I would stay clear of this guy.

@Howie58 "Thanks for your leadership role here. You do a fine job."

It's an honour to have somebody think that way, but honestly...I've never thought of myself in that light. More of a posting back and forth with buddies kinda thing from my perspective. But thanks for the kind words, appreciate it.

@Howie58 "Thanks for your leadership role here. You do a fine job."

It's an honour to have somebody think that way, but honestly...I've never thought of myself in that light. More of a posting back and forth with buddies kinda thing from my perspective. But thanks for the kind words, appreciate it.

This forum is like an extended family for many here. I am sorry that we can't have an annual conference for face-to-face "reality." I suspect most of the folks here are good folks. And you do a lot to keep it civilized.

I was visiting with my family outside of Philly a few days ago. My brother is friends with a manager at the Inquirer. I told him a group of us left Philly.com because we couldn't tolerate the personal BS and adware....he listened carefully over pizza and wine.

Peace and yes, thanks.

Howie