Flyers interested in trading for Halak

hf101

“The Flyers have been told it’s going to take a very good player, but it won’t take one of their top guys, which Philadelphia was worried about,” the source said. “He could be their No. 1.”

Halak appeared in 16 games last season with Ken Hitchcock’s Blues, with a 2.14 goals against average and .899 save percentage. His seven-year NHL career numbers are solid: 2.41 GAA and .917 save percentage.

source

I would not mind this at all and think it would be a great situation. The only question: who is it the want? Would they be willing to take prospects such as Laughton and Cousins? I have to think the would want a NHL ready type player which sounds like Read and I am hesitant to let him go...

• Like 1

I would not mind this at all and think it would be a great situation. The only question: who is it the want? Would they be willing to take prospects such as Laughton and Cousins? I have to think the would want a NHL ready type player which sounds like Read and I am hesitant to let him go...

I see Read as nothing but trade bait right now because his UFA status and likely number (North of $2.5M at least) will make it hard for the Flyers to do Giroux/BSchenn/Couturier and Read while addressing defense and goalie.

The upside is both are UFA after the year, so both teams are taking the same risk.

I throw in Pronger.

I see Read as nothing but trade bait right now because his UFA status and likely number (North of $2.5M at least) will make it hard for the Flyers to do Giroux/BSchenn/Couturier and Read while addressing defense and goalie.

The upside is both are UFA after the year, so both teams are taking the same risk.

I throw in Pronger.

This is no bargain though. Cap hit of 3.7, salary of 4.5. In theory he may be worth a risk. In practice he may be pricey.

Best,

Howie

P.S. MC, good to see you here. Hope all is well. Howie

If anyone was wondering about the funky save % in comparision to the respectable GGA, this is why (or at least a major contributing factor)....

Shots allowed per game regular season 2013

1)New Jersey - 23.1

2)St.Louis - 24.2

3)Los Angles - 25

You let in 3 goals with *those* kinda shots against, and it's gonna throw the save percentage for a loop. Inevitable. Then those off games which happen to any goalie once and while, they drive it down, down, down. Hmmm, little wonder the top 3 teams are all very well off on defense. This is what the Flyers need, way less shots on goal per game.

http://www.nhl.com/i...d=nav-sts-teams

edit, actually the Flyers were not brutal there, but could use a bit of improvement. Geez, tied for 15th with Boston at 28.6, I'd like to see that lowered by a few shots per game, but not as bad as I thought it would have been.

Edited by jammer2