Gillis on Luongo: ‘Either play or don’t play’

hf101

Does Luongo really choose to walk on 40M, leaving the Canucks goalieless? He has probably made enough money to consider walking away from the game. I guess he could show up and play.... poorly on purpose too if he really wants to stick it to the organization. At 34 he really doesn't need to play. hmmm....what a mess.

“Either play or don’t play,” replied Gillis, adding he plans to travel to Florida to speak with Luongo (as Canucks owner Francesco Aquilini has already reportedly done.)

And what if Luongo doesn’t show up to play? Well, we’re not lawyers here. However, here’s what PHT legal analyst Eric Macramalla told us during the lockout when Alex Ovechkin and Ilya Kovalchuk were threatening to stay in the KHL…

An NHL contract, which is called a “Standard Player Contract” or an “SPC”, provides at Section 14(b) that a team has the right to terminate a contract if that player shall “fail, refuse or neglect to render his services hereunder or in any other manner materially breach this Contract”.

Not rendering services would include not showing up for work. So while Ovechkin and/or Kovalchuk wouldn’t be in a position to challenge the validity of their contracts, they could elect not to return to the NHL, thereby setting in motion a series of events that would end with their clubs terminating their contracts.

It seems unlikely that Luongo would risk voiding a contract that still has $40.6 million left to be paid out, not to mention the risk of getting sued for damages.

Still, he did say in April that he’d “scrap” his contract if he could.

source

@hf101 I don't think from what I know of Lu's personality that he would ever show up to play poorly to get his payback on management...firstly, he has too much pride...& past drama with the fans (remember the humiliation he suffered from them in Game 7 with Boston in the 2011 Final?). Secondly, I just can't see him making his teammates suffer for what crappiness has transpired between him & managment. He has too many good friends on the team & I can't see him letting them down by making them look bad with him.

I've heard commentary that he could opt to seek legal action against the org. & that he may be within his rights to do so. I thought that may be one viable avenue he could take & the org. deserves that.

There's a lot placed on the fact that it's Lu that's being difficult, like a child that doesn't want to play anymore, cuz "it's not fair!" But I actually heard that it's his wife who, after his being screwed around with the past year & half or so by mgmt., doesn't want anything more to do with Vancouver. They left for Florida & she wants to stay in Florida & that's that. So of course, that would heavily sway Lu's decision as to wait & think all this through or even decide to not come back at all. It really isn't his prob if Canucks remain goalieless. If he doesn't return, I really don't know what their options are. His possible back-up Eddie Lack had hip surgery earlier this year & is in rehab. They originally thought he'd be ready for next season, but who knows?

@jammer2 Tim Thomas= 'Man boobs'? hahaha....that's funny! Ohhh how I dislike Thomas! Yah I thought of Dipietro as an option too...it may be a sucky situation but the Canuckleheads are already in a majorly sucky situation...haha....imo I'd take anyone besides Thomas...well, maybe not Bryz...

WTF??? I love the bit that Luongo and Schneider did for the NHL network last year poking fun about sharing the job. Maybe Bobby Lou misses Schneider and doesn't like the spotlight glaring on him.

Just sign Bryz and go for a lottery pick next year and tell this clown to move on.

I think the team trading Schneider showed they're willing to set differences aside and stand with Luongo. What did I miss though? The talk of him suing the team confuses me. Sue them for what??

I'm no legal expert but I believe it was something to do with being mislead by mgmt over the year that he was definitely going to be moved from Van and that the deal was as good as done. Lu put his condo up for sale & looked like he had planned to play for the Panthers in the end. I dunno, it's all such a mess...interesting to see what transpires though.

I'm no legal expert but I believe it was something to do with being mislead by mgmt over the year that he was definitely going to be moved from Van and that the deal was as good as done. Lu put his condo up for sale & looked like he had planned to play for the Panthers in the end. I dunno, it's all such a mess...interesting to see what transpires though.

I doubt a lawsuit would work though. Unless they flat out told him we're sending you to Florida, it's not their fault if he interpreted the signs incorrectly. I don't see where a lawsuit would benefit him one bit.

I doubt a lawsuit would work though. Unless they flat out told him we're sending you to Florida, it's not their fault if he interpreted the signs incorrectly. I don't see where a lawsuit would benefit him one bit.

Yah, you could be right. I wasn't sure if this may have fallen into a 'verbal contract' category or not. These things can be so grey. It would be nice to know what he was really told, but it seems he was 110% sure he wasn't coming back & mgmt didn't give him any reason to believe otherwise. He is still refusing to do any interviews with the press at the moment, so that doesn't look too good for the Canucks for his return at this point. Looks like it's gonna be a 'long, hot summer' for Lu! And after a poll taken, looks like some of the fans here still don't like him & don't want him back! So, will he see any incentive to play?

Yah, you could be right. I wasn't sure if this may have fallen into a 'verbal contract' category or not. These things can be so grey. It would be nice to know what he was really told, but it seems he was 110% sure he wasn't coming back & mgmt didn't give him any reason to believe otherwise. He is still refusing to do any interviews with the press at the moment, so that doesn't look too good for the Canucks for his return at this point. Looks like it's gonna be a 'long, hot summer' for Lu! And after a poll taken, looks like some of the fans here still don't like him & don't want him back! So, will he see any incentive to play?

Wow what a mess! So if he doesn't return... what do you think they'll do? Is anybody worthy in the system? Or will they be forced to reach for an unwanted UFA?

Wow what a mess! So if he doesn't return... what do you think they'll do? Is anybody worthy in the system? Or will they be forced to reach for an unwanted UFA?

omg...we may have to end up sigining Bryz after all like @yave1964 said! Or Dipietro? But we don't have cap space? We have 2 farm guys that are supposedly going to contend for the back-up position (if he returns!) Eddie Lack (who had hip surgery this year & re-habbing!) & Joacim Eriksson. Seems the favour is leaning a bit more towards Lack. But otherwise, no idea who we'd get for a starter...not sure if Lack would be up for the task!

omg...we may have to end up sigining Bryz after all like @yave1964 said! Or Dipietro? But we don't have cap space? We have 2 farm guys that are supposedly going to contend for the back-up position (if he returns!) Eddie Lack (who had hip surgery this year & re-habbing!) & Joacim Eriksson. Seems the favour is leaning a bit more towards Lack. But otherwise, no idea who we'd get for a starter...not sure if Lack would be up for the task!

Remember they could void Luongo's contract and free up his cap space. What about TimThomas??

A-ha! Oh yes, lest we forget Tim....I know the least about Dipietro, so I'd say least of 3 evils for me??

DiPietro is always injured. Bryzgalov is obviously a train wreck. Thomas is probably the safest bet!

DiPietro is always injured. Bryzgalov is obviously a train wreck. Thomas is probably the safest bet!

UGH & DOUBLE UGH!! I may have to switch teams! Oh I heard tonite that Lu did apparently do a call-in interview with a rock music station here, but only talked comically about Torts when asked who he thought Torts would make cry 1st- Hank & Dank, Bieksa, etc...sounded like he was in favour of the coach swapping. But didn't discuss the white elephant in the room! Hmm...

• Like 1

The part I never got was Luongo forcing himself unto the Panthers roster. Any blind man could see Markstrom is being groomed as the #1, and he needs experience to get where he needs to go. Who in their right mind would take on a 5+ mill for a back up? This is the part that I've struggled with from he start, no matter how hard Roberto wants to wish it, he was/is blocked from the Panthers by the presence of Markstrom, who is indeed the future.

@jammer2 A good point. Lu seems to be pretty hooped no matter which way he turns, play for a city that may not want him back, walk away & retire from NHL? As far as I know, he definitely still wants to be in the game...I don't see retirement happening. I thought Toronto may have been a good place for him if that could have worked out. There was speculation on that. He would still have been close enough to Florida for his wife.