Its reported Miller and Vanek to start season as Sabres

Buffalo Rick

Music to my ears. We will have their leadership along with Steve Ott and with the youth they have its a good mix. We have a defense that is monstrous. Miller will have more help this go. The Sabres will be better than you think. The big question is going to be, if we are winning, and stay in the race, does he give Vanek and Miller new contracts that obviously are not going to be peanuts. But they must be reasonable to our organization also. I know they want to win in a Sabres jersey more than any other jersey. The only teams Miller would really consider would be Detroit (he is from there and grew up a Wings fan and his mother is there), or one of the California teams. But all of them are happy with their goalies. None of them are Miller but they are good.

@Hockey Junkie Um, you do realize that Quick is one the "California teams" goalies? "None of them are Miller"....wow, that is pretty ballsey. Quick is certainly better and Nemi is also. Don't get the Miller love, there is no stats to back it up. Without looking I'd bet Quick's and Nemi's stats were both superior to Miller's the past few years. I realize you're excited about the team you are going to ice next year, but that statement looked a little out of whack.

@Hockey Junkie Um, you do realize that Quick is one the "California teams" goalies? "None of them are Miller"....wow, that is pretty ballsey. Quick is certainly better and Nemi is also. Don't get the Miller love, there is no stats to back it up. Without looking I'd bet Quick's and Nemi's stats were both superior to Miller's the past few years. I realize you're excited about the team you are going to ice next year, but that statement looked a little out of whack.

Miller has had many a good season and been to two conference finals and won alot of playoff games. Because LA won the Cup does not mean Quick is better. No way is Quick better and Nemi is far behind Miller. No way can he stop a breakaway like Miller. Ill take Miller in a shootout over any goalie in hockey. Any. Maybe you are basing it all on last year when his defense hung him out to dry?

Miller has had many a good season and been to two conference finals and won alot of playoff games. Because LA won the Cup does not mean Quick is better. No way is Quick better and Nemi is far behind Miller. No way can he stop a breakaway like Miller. Ill take Miller in a shootout over any goalie in hockey. Any. Maybe you are basing it all on last year when his defense hung him out to dry?

Last year? When he was 2.81/.915? Or the year before that when he was 2.54/.916? Or the year before that when he was 2.59/.916? Or in 08-09 when he was 2.53/.918? Or 07-08 when he was 2.64/.906?

In fact, Miller had one breakout season in which he was .3 below the 2.5 GAA he usually sports, and has had one season in which he was .3 above that.

Jonathan Quick's HIGHEST GAA as a starter in a season EVER was 2.54.

That's Miller's AVERAGE.

Niemi's highest GAA as a starter in a season? 2.42.

Miller beat that ONCE.

Last year? When he was 2.81/.915? Or the year before that when he was 2.54/.916? Or the year before that when he was 2.59/.916? Or in 08-09 when he was 2.53/.918? Or 07-08 when he was 2.64/.906?

In fact, Miller had one breakout season in which he was .3 below the 2.5 GAA he usually sports, and has had one season in which he was .3 above that.

Jonathan Quick's HIGHEST GAA as a starter in a season EVER was 2.54.

That's Miller's AVERAGE.

Niemi's highest GAA as a starter in a season? 2.42.

Miller beat that ONCE.

Niemi is not even in Miller's class. Ha. Joke. Ill take Miller and Lundquist over anyone.

@Hockey Junkie Nemi is a better than Miller, he just is. He might or might not be a top 10 goalie in this leauge (I can name 10 better), but he's no where close to the Miller/Lundquist best two duo as you are suggesting. You're not going to find any other hockey fan to back up that claim.

@ruxpin I'd take Nemi, but maybe that's just me. Nemi won the cup, was not spectacular in the playoff series against the Flyers, as we know, but hey, he has a ring and was the starter, that is significant. Has Nemi even reached his prime is the question I ask, I don't even know if we have seen the best Nemi we can see....Miller on the other hand, looks to have reached his prime and might just be on the decline.

• Like 1

@jammer2

I guess that for whatever reason, I'm just not that impressed with Niemi. The Cup not withstanding (really felt they won despite him. They must have felt likewise because they didn't work too hard to keep him). Leighton played in the finals, but I'd negatively compare him to what I scraped off my shoe this morning.

I think I have to agree, thought, that Niemi is still potentially improving while Miller is possibly on the downswing. In Miller's defense, he didn't have much in front of him, but I do think it's a gradual decline for him from here.

Still, I think I like Miller over Niemi. Tough call, though.

Still, I think I like Miller over Niemi. Tough call, though.

I go with "tough call" over "obviously better" any day of the week, month, year, decade, century, era, epoch...

Niemi wasn't fantastic in the Cup Final.

Of course, Niemi has actually been to the playoffs each of the last four years.

I'll take the goalie in the playoffs over the goalie out of the playoffs eight days a week.

• Like 1

@ruxpin I'd take Nemi, but maybe that's just me. Nemi won the cup, was not spectacular in the playoff series against the Flyers, as we know, but hey, he has a ring and was the starter, that is significant. Has Nemi even reached his prime is the question I ask, I don't even know if we have seen the best Nemi we can see....Miller on the other hand, looks to have reached his prime and might just be on the decline.

You cannot blame Miller for last season. No way. They guy was spectacular on many nights and he was hung out to dry by his defense. Miller will bounce back and when he is healthy, nobody is better. NOBODY. He is the best goalie in the NHL. Nobody I would rather have back there in a pressure situation on a breakaway. I wish I had spoken to him when I had the chance. He was on the sideline right next to me before a game vs Vancouver, and my seat was next to where the Sabres take the ice next to their bench He was going through his pregame thoughts and I could have tapped him on the shoulder but I decided I better keep my mouth shut. I wanted to tell him to "use the lumber" on a few chosen players. Like Hextall used to. Hit em in the chops when the refs turn their back and they skate the other way. Neil of Ottawa was the guy I wanted. Or half of Boston's team.

@Hockey Junkie " He is the best goalie in the NHL."

Sorry, that's just delusional. GIve me some stats to back up your claim.

Raw numbers and stats in sports do not tell the entire story. You have to watch the games. Watch the playres. And see what they can do. His numbers were down last year due to circumstances beyond his control. Defensive injuries and meltdowns galore.

@Hockey Junkie I would venture to guess that the other Sabre fans on here don't share your opinion. Niether does a fan of any other team. Either you're right, or millions and millions are wrong. Not trying to be rude, but the claim that Miller is the best goalie is laughable. Cheering for your team is one thing, but making claims like that...if it was not me, somebody else would be calling BS. I'm not even gonna look up the stats, don't have to, I know Miller has been very, very average for years now...not just last years injury situation as you claim. Lot's of goalies get shelled on a nightly basis and still maintain a respectable save percentage.

• Like 1

@Hockey Junkie I would venture to guess that the other Sabre fans on here don't share your opinion. Niether does a fan of any other team. Either you're right, or millions and millions are wrong. Not trying to be rude, but the claim that Miller is the best goalie is laughable. Cheering for your team is one thing, but making claims like that...if it was not me, somebody else would be calling BS. I'm not even gonna look up the stats, don't have to, I know Miller has been very, very average for years now...not just last years injury situation as you claim. Lot's of goalies get shelled on a nightly basis and still maintain a respectable save percentage.

Miller had a standout year or two. but he is far from the best goalie now.

• Like 1