DEAL REACHED TO SEND NHL PLAYERS TO 2014 WINTER OLYMPICS

Guest AlaskaFlyerFan

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=427999

DEAL REACHED TO SEND NHL PLAYERS TO 2014 WINTER OLYMPICS

An agreement has been reached between the NHL, National Hockey League Players' Association, International Olympic Committee and International Ice Hockey Federation to send NHL players to the 2014 Olympic Winter Games in Sochi, Russia.

"The National Hockey League features the most international player population in professional sports, and our outstanding athletes take tremendous pride in representing their homelands on the global stage," commissioner Gary Bettman said. "The decision to participate in the XXII Olympic Winter Games in Sochi was in many ways a difficult one, but one that we know will be well received by our Players and, most importantly, by the vast majority of our fans and sports fans everywhere."

NHLPA Executive Director Don Fehr added: "The players are very pleased that an agreement has been reached that will allow the world's best hockey players to compete at the Winter Games in February," said Fehr. "Having the opportunity to wear their nation's sweater in Sochi is something the players look forward to."

This marks the fifth consecutive time dating back to Nagano 1998 that NHL players have participated in the Olympics. More than 120 NHL players are expected to compete for their respective nations in Sochi.

"Although there were many details to discuss with our partners NHL and NHLPA, there was never any doubt in my mind that we would not continue the tradition from Nagano, Salt Lake City, Turin and Vancouver," said IIHF President and IOC Executive Committee Member Rene Fasel. "The modern Olympic era is about sportive competition on the highest possible level. This is what fans around the world expect from a 100-metre race or downhill skiing and this is also what they are entitled to expect from our sport."

The NHL will break from the 2013-14 regular season schedule on February 9 and return to play February 26 to allow for participation in the Games. Canada opens the Olympic tournament Feb. 13 against Norway.

The NHL is also expected to release the 2013-14 regular-season schedule later today.

Oh you know them. Nothing is worth doing without a lockout of some sort.

Personally, I blame the schools.

Good to see this done. NHL players in the Olympics instantly makes it twice as entertaining.

I'm not sure that I would have watched otherwise. It would have been the same for me as with the WJC. I have some interest, but only enough to check what the scores were at the end of the night.

• Like 1

Sportsnet's Chris Johnston believes that the agreement reached with the NHL, NHLPA, IOC and IIHF will lead to more games in Europe for NHL players.

“I hope that this is the first step in a multi-year deal, which will involve World Cups, Victoria Cups and other new events internationally,” Hockey Canada president Bob Nicholson said. “I think that there is a great opportunity for the IIHF, NHL and NHLPA.”

This post could maybe go in the KHL thread, but I think the increased play of NHL players in Europe will help keep key European players in the NHL.

I hate this, to be honest. There's the obvious argument about amateur vs.pro, but when it comes down to it I just can't stand a major sports leagie shutting down for the Olympics. I care more about a rabid squirrel being fed than I do about the fricken Olympics. I really couldn't care less.

I just think it's yet another example of the NHL undermining it's own product. It's ridiculous.

I'm not sure that I would have watched otherwise. It would have been the same for me as with the WJC. I have some interest, but only enough to check what the scores were at the end of the night.

This is me with or without NHL players. I didn't watch 5 minutes of the Olympics the last time. Here you are right in the middle of the season, the standings are starting to shape up into what the actual battles /races are going to look like, it's finally becoming interesting and eh..two week commercial of rectal thermometers and sleep aids. Not to menton the players that come back injured and/or fatigued and screw their teams in games that they're actually paid for or matter a damn.