Oilers flush with defensemen - what happens next?

Guest JR Ewing

With the Grebeshkov signing a couple of days ago, the Oilers have something like:

Smid (L)

Petry ®

Ference (L)

J Schultz ®

N Schultz (L)

Belov (L)

--------------------

Grebeshkov ®

Larsen ®

--------------------

Potter

Klefbom

Marincin

-Anything which doesn't force Klefbom into the NHL lineup before he's ready is good.

-I wasn't really sure how to sort Belov and Grebeshkov. Grebs has played (well) in the NHL before, but didn't have a very good year last season in the KHL, and Belov is a little younger and was the best defenseman in the league. Both can play a puck moving game.

-I think Nick Schultz needs to go.

-I don't know if the Oilers plan on keeping Larsen around: he does bring what Craig MacTavish is clearly placing a premium on: an ability to move the puck.. Thing is, we also don't know if the Oilers picked him up in the Horcoff trade because they wanted him or if Dallas wanted some salary to go back.

-Potter is on a 2-way deal, so if anybody's going to OKC, it's him.

-It seems that, based on his signings, Craig MacTavish doesn't place a high value on slow d-men who can't move the puck (the Fistric types).

JR

@JR Ewing "I think Nick Schultz needs to go."

That was honestly the first thing I thought when looking at that list. Also agree, Klefbom should not be rushed. Potter never really impressed me, but is a NHL body, stashing him in the AHL can't hurt, in case of emergency recall.

Agreed Nick Schultz has to go. His trade from the Wild for Tom Gilbert was the proverbial trade that hurt both teams. Lots of bodies here so they do not have to rush either Nurse or Klefbom but very average talent other than the real Schultz. If they are going to deal one and I have read rumors saying so then I would love to see the Wings try to pry away local boy Petry if possible. His Dad would be proud....

Agreed Nick Schultz has to go. His trade from the Wild for Tom Gilbert was the proverbial trade that hurt both teams. Lots of bodies here so they do not have to rush either Nurse or Klefbom but very average talent other than the real Schultz. If they are going to deal one and I have read rumors saying so then I would love to see the Wings try to pry away local boy Petry if possible. His Dad would be proud....

Provided the return is right, damn near any player is available. In Petry's case, he's a viable NHL defenseman who can do a little bit of everything and has a very cap friendly contract. I imagine if possible, the Oilers would rather keep him.

JR

Provided the return is right, damn near any player is available. In Petry's case, he's a viable NHL defenseman who can do a little bit of everything and has a very cap friendly contract. I imagine if possible, the Oilers would rather keep him.

JR

Oh I know they would. His Dad pitched for the Tigers for a decade.

Last year he had among the worst games I ever saw by a blue liner against my Wings. He tipped one into his own net, and then in overtime Dats turned him inside out TWICE on the same play as he scored the game winner. Brutal game.

But that is not who he is, he can play the point in a pinch has a great first pass and plays the corners well. Open ice is his kryptonite, one on one I have seen him freeze up since his college days. A dose of confidence is all he really needs. I actually sat with his Dad when Jeff played for Michigan State once back in 2008 or 2009 quite by accident and it turned in to a delightful evening, I will always root for this kid.

Oh I know they would. His Dad pitched for the Tigers for a decade.

Last year he had among the worst games I ever saw by a blue liner against my Wings. He tipped one into his own net, and then in overtime Dats turned him inside out TWICE on the same play as he scored the game winner. Brutal game.

But that is not who he is, he can play the point in a pinch has a great first pass and plays the corners well. Open ice is his kryptonite, one on one I have seen him freeze up since his college days. A dose of confidence is all he really needs. I actually sat with his Dad when Jeff played for Michigan State once back in 2008 or 2009 quite by accident and it turned in to a delightful evening, I will always root for this kid.

Nice stuff. I remember Dan Petry well: threw a lot of innings for a pretty good Tigers team. They broke my heart in 1987.

It's pretty cool that you ended up getting to watch Jeff with him.

JR

Nice stuff. I remember Dan Petry well: threw a lot of innings for a pretty good Tigers team. They broke my heart in 1987.

It's pretty cool that you ended up getting to watch Jeff with him.

JR

Amazing pennant race, your Jays (I assume your a Jays fan if the Tigers broke your heart)were loaded. Sparky did his bar none best ever job of managing ever, Tanana knocking off Jimmy Key 1-0 on a Larry Herndon homer on the last day of the season should be considered an iconic ball game but the Tigers left it all on the field against the Jays and got destroyed by the less talented Twins so an amazing pennant race is largely forgotten. That was the year the Tigers got Doyle Alexander who went like 9=0 in exchange for a AA prospect named Smoltz.....

With the Grebeshkov signing a couple of days ago, the Oilers have something like:

Smid (L)

Petry ®

Ference (L)

J Schultz ®

N Schultz (L)

Belov (L)

--------------------

Grebeshkov ®

Larsen ®

--------------------

Potter

Klefbom

Marincin

-Anything which doesn't force Klefbom into the NHL lineup before he's ready is good.

-I wasn't really sure how to sort Belov and Grebeshkov. Grebs has played (well) in the NHL before, but didn't have a very good year last season in the KHL, and Belov is a little younger and was the best defenseman in the league. Both can play a puck moving game.

-I think Nick Schultz needs to go.

-I don't know if the Oilers plan on keeping Larsen around: he does bring what Craig MacTavish is clearly placing a premium on: an ability to move the puck.. Thing is, we also don't know if the Oilers picked him up in the Horcoff trade because they wanted him or if Dallas wanted some salary to go back.

-Potter is on a 2-way deal, so if anybody's going to OKC, it's him.

-It seems that, based on his signings, Craig MacTavish doesn't place a high value on slow d-men who can't move the puck (the Fistric types).

JR

Problem with all that is you really don't have a clear #1 or #2 and bunch of 3s, 4s, 5s and 6s a few 7s...so maybe you guys are going to pull a trade off. Belov would be served best by starting in the A.

@OccamsRazor I think, even at this early part of his career, Schultz is a legit #1 d man who will only get better. They don't have a real #2 to pair with him, perhaps over time Klefbom turns into that. Schultz is not a beast in his own end, but is respectable in that regard....his pp work is wicked good for such a young player. There is a good chance he breaks the 70 pt barrier next year, something not to many young d-men get close to.

If I'm Craig MacTavish, I'm not willing to bet the farm on Schultz turning into one of the top couple of offensive defensemen in the game right now. He showed very well last year, but there were definitely issues which probably keep him from being a true top pairing guy, imo.

Belov: I'd give him training camp, and if it's clear he can handle NHL players, at least give him minutes. If not, he can back and forth as needed, since he's on an ELC.

JR

@JR Ewing In Justin's defense, I don't think he was paired with the right guy at 5-5. Was it not Schultz and Schultz most of the year....he needed a vet who could cover glaring errors, like the Chara/Hamilton pairing last year. Obviously there is no Chara on Edmonton, but being paired with a respectable vet would have helped his plus/minus and given him more confidence in his own end. His plus/minus was brutal last year though.

@JR Ewing In Justin's defense, I don't think he was paired with the right guy at 5-5. Was it not Schultz and Schultz most of the year....he needed a vet who could cover glaring errors, like the Chara/Hamilton pairing last year. Obviously there is no Chara on Edmonton, but being paired with a respectable vet would have helped his plus/minus and given him more confidence in his own end. His plus/minus was brutal last year though.

Not only that, but RFK didn't line match. Not one little bit. Nor did he make an efort to get Schultz away from tough zone starts. Essentially, he was thrown to the wolves.

So, I'd be interested to see how he does uner Eakins, who is very details oriented and mindful matchups, from everything I've read and heard.

JR

@JR Ewing I've only heard great things about Eakins. Have heard the "pays attention to detail" stuff also. I suspect the team in general and Nick specifically will benefit from his style and coaching methods. The Marlies were a sound crew in their own end, so that trend will probably continue, assuming his personnel can carry out his wishes.