Wild Wings and things

yave1964

My take on the 2013-14 Detroit Red Wings

I cannot recuse myself from this one just because I am a Wings fan. I will bring as much objectivity as possible.
The Wings snuck into the playoffs as a seven seed, the year after Lidstrom and Holmstrom retired. After getting in they made noise, upsetting the two seeded Ducks and pushing eventual cup champions to overtime in gme 7 before finally falling. During the year, Ian White proved woeful without Lidstrom beside him, Colaiacovo, Helm, Samuelsson and Bertuzzi missed most of the season. Brunner scored like gangbusters to start the year then looked somewhere between human and pathetic in the second half. A LOT went wrong yet the club hung in there and is now set for the future.

Val Filpulla was allowed to leave, inconsistent, poor dot play, afraid to shoot, all labels he earned in his stay. He is replaced by Stephen Weiss who if healthy will be a huge upgrade.

Top six Forwards are Captain Hank Zetterberg, the ageless Pavel Datsyuk, 40 year old Swedish import Danny Alfredsson who came her to win his cup, Weiss the frustrating but talented Franzen and likely either Samuelsson or big Bert, depending on health.

The third line is a high energy kid line of special talent Gustav Nyquist, AHL post season MVP Tomas Tatar and Joakim Andersson. Fourth line, if Darrfen Helm is back he is one of the fastest men in the game and a wonderful penalty killer, he is surrounded by Abdelkader, Drew Miller and Patrick Eaves, a bunch of veterans who know their roles. Danny Cleary is still rumored to be resigning as soon as cap space is cleared, Jordan Tootoo and Cory Emmerton are supposedly on the way out.

Defensively, you cannot replace a legend like Lidstrom so the Wings went with an all for one one for all approach, every blue liner pushing the puck. Kronwall had a great year, Jonathan Ericsson finally established himself as a consistent top four player, a did surprising Jakub Kindl who even earned a few power play minutes. Brendan Smith had horrible first full season, he made poor decisions when rushed, but will be better this year and moving forward. Newcomer Danny Dekeyser who was signed out of college was wonderful until a post season injury. As a number six Kyle Quincey was adequate. As a seven Brian Lashoff was not. Hopes are that the Wings will attempt to sign one of the remaining free agents out there to throw into the rotation but this is not a bad bunch.

Jimmy Howard was the team MVP in net last year, stealing points and proving himself to be a winning goalie. He needs to be as good this year. Gustafson was adequate when healthy as a backup, and the young Petr Mrazek looked wonderful in a cup of coffee then led the Grand Rapids Griffins to a Calder cup at the age of twenty.
Holland drives me nuts with his steady as you go philosophy but it works, Babcock is among the best game coaches in the game.

I think they are a mortal lock for a playoff spot in what I feel is a top heavy division. I really think the Senators will emerge from the East but the Wings are right there in the running. a solid club that retooled on the fly (again) and looks to keep its record playoff streak intact for at least another year.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey @yave1964

With Helm still out now with a groin issue, and Cleary gone to the Flyers, who are your best penalty killers besides Abdelkater and Miller?  Didn't Flilpulla play the PK also?

Do you think this offseason created a hole in the overall defensive play?

Pavel and Z play a fair amount of time, Eaves is a beast (if he makes the roster) on special teams as a shut down player but that is about it. That is where Helm excels, Emmerton was okay back there last year but we need Helm to rebound

@yave1964  It will be a shame to see Cleary go.  I was always a big fan.  He brought something to the table that is never listed on the statistic sheet - leadership and work ethic.  Next to Holmstrom, Cleary was a monster in front of the net, followed closely by Franzen.  Now it seems Franzen will bear the brunt of the net-front presence and will have to train others to do so.  All sings point to a fairly healthy Darren Helm by the beginning of the season, however he hasn't played professional hockey in over a year so it will take him a long time to oil the joints and get back up to speed, literally and figuratively.  

Weiss has to stay healthy and so does Alfie, otherwise this whole thing is blown.  Not to mention Samuelsson and Bertuzzi.  Who knows what they're capable of or what kind of shape their in.  They could be in for a career-high season, or a complete bust.  Holland has to be ready to come the trade deadline.  This has to be the biggest "wait-and-see" situation Detroit has faced in the last five years.  

Let's drop the puck already....

@yave1964  It will be a shame to see Cleary go.  I was always a big fan.  He brought something to the table that is never listed on the statistic sheet - leadership and work ethic.  Next to Holmstrom, Cleary was a monster in front of the net, followed closely by Franzen.  Now it seems Franzen will bear the brunt of the net-front presence and will have to train others to do so.  All sings point to a fairly healthy Darren Helm by the beginning of the season, however he hasn't played professional hockey in over a year so it will take him a long time to oil the joints and get back up to speed, literally and figuratively.  

Weiss has to stay healthy and so does Alfie, otherwise this whole thing is blown.  Not to mention Samuelsson and Bertuzzi.  Who knows what they're capable of or what kind of shape their in.  They could be in for a career-high season, or a complete bust.  Holland has to be ready to come the trade deadline.  This has to be the biggest "wait-and-see" situation Detroit has faced in the last five years.  

Let's drop the puck already....

No question we will miss Dan Cleary this season. Who was our leading scorer in the final series with the Hawks? He plays the kind of game that may be important in the Eastern Conference too--little more rough in the corner work. I think that might be a bit overstated. He is good in scrubs for pucks, something the Wings in general aren't the best at overall. As you noted, net presence too. These things will be missed, but they can be overcome if others step up. The question is who?

Weiss and Alfredsson were good pick-ups no doubt. I just think the one piece the Wings still need is that net-front-presence guy, and they just lost one of the few they had who kinda fit that description. I must say that I'm a little concerned before the season starts about this issue, but unfortunately it may not show up as important as in the SCPs, which is exactly when Cleary came to the fore again. He played well because his game is suited for playoff hockey. Philly got a good pick-up.

I understand the move though. We just couldn't keep him money-wise. Think we might be regretting the Tootoo signing a little now, eh?

@WingNut722

Hey where ya been?

Yeah, Cleary was a favorite of mine because of his motor not because of his skill. He has always been best suited as a third liner, it is not his fault that due to injuries and attrition that he has been moved up into the top six role off and on for several years but he busted his butt and played tough minutes and sacrificed his body playing through injuries that many others would have sat out because of. I know a lot of Wing sites rip the guy but c'mon he left it out on the ice night after night, he never just mails it in and drove the Hawks crazy in that wonderful seven game series. I wish him nothing but the best in Philly.

No question we will miss Dan Cleary this season. Who was our leading scorer in the final series with the Hawks? He plays the kind of game that may be important in the Eastern Conference too--little more rough in the corner work. I think that might be a bit overstated. He is good in scrubs for pucks, something the Wings in general aren't the best at overall. As you noted, net presence too. These things will be missed, but they can be overcome if others step up. The question is who?

Weiss and Alfredsson were good pick-ups no doubt. I just think the one piece the Wings still need is that net-front-presence guy, and they just lost one of the few they had who kinda fit that description. I must say that I'm a little concerned before the season starts about this issue, but unfortunately it may not show up as important as in the SCPs, which is exactly when Cleary came to the fore again. He played well because his game is suited for playoff hockey. Philly got a good pick-up.

I understand the move though. We just couldn't keep him money-wise. Think we might be regretting the Tootoo signing a little now, eh?

Very, VERY sorry to see Cleary go. Youth must be served and Tatar and Gus have earned spots but Cleary played on one leg and still went out night after night. Loved the guy. Good to see you back!!

@yave1964

Been here all along but just didn't have much to say...  Some of the Flyers fans on this forum have been indicating rumors that Cleary is using the Flyers offer to drive up his value, comparing him to Shea Weber.  Cleary was presented two offers from the Red Wings and turned them both down.  Now we signed Weiss and Alfie and are over the cap limit.  So I put it to you, imagine if Cleary accepted....  It's doubtful we would have gotten our two headline stars, no?

@SpikeDDS

Tootoo said in an article with the Detroit Free Press that he's ready to up the ante and fight (figuratively) for a roster spot.  He realizes he didn't have a great season which ultimately ended with him on the bench.  He has shown in his tenure with Nashville that he can bring the sandpaper AND score goals, but that didn't materialize with the Red Wings like the Brass had hoped.  True to form, he's a grinder, and he's just brash enough to dive in where he's needed and battle for pucks down low.  He would be key to the fourth line if he produced a few more points.

Edited by WingNut722

@yave1964  @SpikeDDS

Nevermind...forget I said anything...

Cleary just announced he will be signing a 1-year contract with the Red Wings for a reported $1.75 million.  Just shows you how much Cleary wanted to stay a Red Wing, if he was willing to take a significant pay-cut, although I'm sure Ken Holland has sweetened the pot with some bonuses.

Now Holland & Co. need to unload about $2.4 million dollars in cap overage by September 30.  He'll be looking hard to unload the likes of Jordin Tootoo and probably Mikael Samuelsson.  Also, don't be surprised if he makes a serious bet on the health of center Darren Helm, and throw in Cory Emmerton to make the deal happen in time.  

Now Holland & Co. need to unload about $2.4 million dollars in cap overage by September 30.  He'll be looking hard to unload the likes of Jordin Tootoo and probably Mikael Samuelsson.  Also, don't be surprised if he makes a serious bet on the health of center Darren Helm, and throw in Cory Emmerton to make the deal happen in time.  

I think the groin injury to Helm had a lot to do with Holland's change of mind and the one year offer to Cleary.  Some though aren't that happy as they felt Cleary's departure would have opened a door for Tatar and Nyquist.  

@WingNut722@yave1964,

Just announced that Cleary has agreed to and will sign a 1-year deal for $1.75M to remain a Red Wing. That REALLY says something about this organization when a player is willing to forego a 3-year deal for $8.25M and to a team that has a history--obviously not as great now as then, but still the Columbus Blue Jackets the Flyers are not. Taking a potential loss of $6.5M there are only 2 choices: Cleary is either really stupid or else he is really smart.

Through my red-and-white stained eyes, I think he is smart. This organization is different. But from a more objective standpoint, I think Dan Cleary was finally completely honest with himself about who he really is. He is a Red Wing. He knew it, but didn't know how much it would cost him. Lidstrom took the same kind of hit--bigger, actually--every single year after he could have gone the FA route, but chose not to to win and be a part of this franchise's history.

Now the Wings have to pare down the forwards, which probably means either Tatar, Miller, or Eaves may sit. As much as I like all of those guys for different reasons, I think Cleary contributes more to enable the Wings to win than the others right now. Tatar is gonna sit methinks, to give Andy and Gus a puck retriever on the 3rd line. Might work very well.

@hf101  @SpikeDDS

True enough, it doesn't look good for Tatar.  Personally, I think Tatar is more valuable than Eaves.  He is just as good, but that much younger then Eaves so he's got a lot of career ahead of him.  I doubt very much Miller will sit.  They went through the time and trouble to work out a nice fat contract extension for him last season.  Besides, he's crucial on the penalty kill.  Miller will be around.  The Red Wings have to unload a lot of money fast so it's time for some teams with a lot of cap space to get some sweet deals on some experienced players for cash and draft picks.  

Cleary's choice is a smart one, even without my "Red and White stained eyes."  He's happy here, and when you're happy, you perform well.  It's like any job, anywhere else in the civilized world.  Most people would agree to less pay if they enjoyed the work more.  Or even look at it more shrewdly...Cleary has a better chance of winning another Cup with Detroit than he does with the Flyers or the Dallas Stars (rumored to also have made him an offer).  

Additional reports indicate he'll be able to take a bigger bite at the apple next season, when the cap ceiling goes up and Alfredsson retires.  If that's the case, expect a nice healthy raise for him.  Loyalty is always rewarded.

@WingNut722

Actually IMHO Tatar is fine, he is out of options and too good to risk losing to waivers. Nyquist on the other hand has one more year of options and will sadly likely play in Grand Rapids until injuries allow for his callup. I still am happy to see Cleary come back Nyquist wont be gone forever he will be back when Sammy or Bert gets the inevitable hang nail. Okay that was not fair to Bert but did you ever see someone get more time off in the NHL for a broken finger as Samuelsson did last year? You would have thought he was a baseball player.

• Like 1

@yave1964

There were times when I thought Samuelsson was throwing a two million dollar temper tantrum because he was sore the Wings got rid of him in the first place.

"I can't play tonight, Coach. My finger still hurts...!"

Seriously, if he really was doing that, Babcock wouldn't tolerate it and he would tell Kenny to move him or send him to GR to make a statement to him. No way he tolerates that. Nor would team leadership. Players know when other players are hurt and when they are "hurt." Z wouldn't tolerate it. I admit that the argument for Babs might not be that strong based upon the evidence, but no way Z and guys like Cleary would give him a pass. Even if you don't think Babs would do it, there is enough accountability on this team in the locker room that the leaders would let him know to buck up if they even smelled he was dogging it. That's why Alfie wanted in. He wore the C and knows how this team is run, both from the top and from within. He picked the Wings for more than one reason.

Edited by SpikeDDS

Seriously, if he really was doing that, Babcock wouldn't tolerate it and he would tell Kenny to move him or send him to GR to make a statement to him. No way he tolerates that. Nor would team leadership. Players know when other players are hurt and when they are "hurt." Z wouldn't tolerate it. I admit that the argument for Babs might not be that strong based upon the evidence, but no way Z and guys like Cleary would give him a pass. Even if you don't think Babs would do it, there is enough accountability on this team in the locker room that the leaders would let him know to buck up if they even smelled he was dogging it. That's why Alfie wanted in. He wore the C and knows how this team is run, both from the top and from within. He picked the Wings for more than one reason.

Nice post. The strong leadership of the Wings, coupled with the accountability factor you mentioned is one of the things that set them apart. It starts right at Mr.I and filters down through the upper management and goes right down to the trainers. That is why quality FA's will always seek them out, they are assured the time there will not be wasted years of their careers, with legit shots at the cup multiple times.

Good to see you back and posting, I know I value your insight.

Good to see you back and posting, I know I value your insight.

Good to be back, and I appreciate your feedback. Nice to be missed, even more so by someone who doesn't necessarily bleed red and white. It validates for me that although I'm passionate about the Wings, it doesn't overshadow my passion for the game. And especially in threads where there is disagreement, I hope that the perception of my passion doesn't make me a troll in others' eyes, even when I sometimes get sarcastic to either illustrate a point or just in good fun (with a little finger poke included :-) ).

Got a lot going on with family members' health. I've got a teenage daughter too. <Gump>"And that's all I have to say about that!" LOL!

Nice to know I still "belong" to some degree. Like most of the guys on here, I enjoy your posts as well @jammer2. Can't wait for the season to get started!

@SpikeDDS

Hey I believe that Wingnut was being ironic, lol.

Samuelsson could/should be a second line or third line winger. I always loved him when he was here the first time. Just write off last year as a lost season for him and pencil him in for close to 20 goals IMHO.

Coming out of the lockout eight years ago, Holland scrapped the bottom of the barrel and came up with Cleary, Sammy and Lilja who were all deemed unworthy by other organizations. I still say that was one of the best jobs by a GM of identifying players who fit within our system who other teams let go because they were not as good as they were supposed to be, and adding pieces to a Stanley Cup champion puzzle for absolutely nothing. None were stars but all added an element that helped put us over the top and lesser organizations just gave up on them.

@SpikeDDS  Nobody can sympathize with family members health more than me, my Mom has been on life support since July 9th, so I can certainly relate!  As far as being perceived as a troll, nah, not even close. This group of posters are experts at smelling out the huge difference between passion and trolling, just from our days at philly.com (well, a lot of us anyways). Your input is an integral part of the Wings forum, which I hope grows and prospers! I will be watching the first game, hoping the Wings blow the Sabres out of the water!! 

=Hey I believe that Wingnut was being ironic, lol.

Indeed, I was!  Thank you!

I know full well the rest of the team wouldn't stand for juvenile temper tantrums, and I know that Sammy is a professional at heart and enjoys playing the game not matter who's team he's on.

As for my part, I value everyone's post here.  We have a small, yet talented group of posters on this forum, who really know and enjoy the game, and love to discuss it even more.  I'm glad we can all welcome each others' comments and can disagree respectfully with each other. @jammer2  Hoping/Praying for the best for your Mom!

It's great to see everyone here and I'm looking forward to another FULL season of Red Wings' Hockey!  Let's drop the puck!

Got a lot going on with family members' health. I've got a teenage daughter too. "And that's all I have to say about that!" LOL!

I saw this and want you to know...

http://www.metalsucks.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/slayerrrrr.jpgslayerrrrr.jpg

that even the lead singer of Slayer is lame to his teenage daughter. i cannot wait 'till mine gets there  :ph34r: