Sedins Plan to Stay in Vancity

Guest goalnut3133

(Sorry I'm a bit behind the ball on this one...been trying to play catch-up with Breaking Bad seasons!)

All I can say is thank God I will not be seeing the twins in another uniform anytime soon!!   :)

In another forum, I saw this sweet post that summed up my thoughts...

'Nucks for life. I hope all realize how special those two are. What we have experienced with the Sedins is more rare than a once in a lifetime occurrence. Most likely there will never be another a set of twins that are as talented as them who end up playing their entire careers together, and we got to see it. Call me selfish but I don't want to share it with other fans. 

VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) – Captain Henrik Sedin is confident he and Daniel will sign new contracts with the Canucks sometime in the future. The soon to be 33-year-olds are entering the final year of their current deals.

Henrik is waiting for Daniel to return from Sweden.

The captain told Sportsnet, “I’m sure we are going to sit down and talk before training camp and see where we are. For us there is no rush. If things can get get done we’re more than happy, if not we’re happy to wait.”

Each Sedin will make $6.1 million this coming season, wrapping up five-year deals. Henrik added he and his brother want to stay in BC.

“There is no secret we like where we are, I think everyone knows that. For us to be able to have our family where we want them to be, that’s very important for us.”

Henrik led the Canucks in scoring in last years NHL lockout shortened season with 11 goals and 45 assists in all 48 games.

Daniel played a game less and was second in club scoring with a dozen goals and 28 assists.

This will be the 13th season for the twins in Canucks uniforms since being drafted in 1999 by the team.

I really do not think there is any way that Vancouver allows these two to get away, but with Gillis in charge until the paperwork is in with signatures you have to be a bit nervous. These two leaving Vancouver would be almost the equivalent of Wayne leaving Edmonton. I said ALMOST so Oiler fans don't have to start throwing stones in here

@yave1964  Yes, I know what you mean. I will breathe the big sigh of relief once the paperwork is done. I just wasn't sure where the Sedins' minds were at with this, but now it's good to know their true intentions & that they're not looking to play games (no pun intended!), but really have their hearts set for their families to be here. If that's their priority concern, then financial quibbles will not likely be an issue. It's nice to see guys who can really play AND be decent, genuine folk & not necessarily be just after the big money!  :)

@yave1964  Yes, I know what you mean. I will breathe the big sigh of relief once the paperwork is done. I just wasn't sure where the Sedins' minds were at with this, but now it's good to know their true intentions & that they're not looking to play games (no pun intended!), but really have their hearts set for their families to be here. If that's their priority concern, then financial quibbles will not likely be an issue. It's nice to see guys who can really play AND be decent, genuine folk & not necessarily be just after the big money!  :)

Do you think they sign for less than Giroux-style money?

Keeping the Sedins seems like the easy part. Complimenting them with NHL caliber talent to legitimately compete might be a little more difficult.

That said, with the cap shooting back up over $70M they just might do OK.

Still see them on a pair of six-year, $48M contracts.

I think the opposite, the twins have failed and failed again to up their game in the playoffs. I would start the rebuild in earnest and ship them out for a BIG haul. Otherwise, the Nucks will be forced to watch playoff failure after failure and never really be able to change the core group of players, due to the Sedins. I'm not saying they were the only problem in Van, but they were a big part of it. This is the only real chance the Nucks have to start over...if they lose this chance, they might not have any more takers. That is an ENORMOUS cap hit. It would take a St.Louis or somebody who wants to compete right now.

Or a Nashville, a team that has never had an elite center and badly needs front line scoring...how about Weber and Filip Forsberg for the Twins...would you do that?

Do you think they sign for less than Giroux-style money?

Keeping the Sedins seems like the easy part. Complimenting them with NHL caliber talent to legitimately compete might be a little more difficult.

That said, with the cap shooting back up over $70M they just might do OK.

Still see them on a pair of six-year, $48M contracts.

i have a feeling it will be less, but who knows? The twins do not seem to be unhappy here, & they could have been talking about greener pastures & big-time dineros a long time ago...I think they're the type to just come to play & are content at a reasonable rate. Can they legitimately compete with better talent beside them? At this stage I don't think so...but they are just pure magic to watch at any rate during reg season. Six year contracts? I'm not so sure on that...that would put them at 39 yrs of age, & I could see them retiring from NHL to play in Sweden before then...but then again, who knows?

i have a feeling it will be less, but who knows? The twins do not seem to be unhappy here, & they could have been talking about greener pastures & big-time dineros a long time ago...I think they're the type to just come to play & are content at a reasonable rate. Can they legitimately compete with better talent beside them? At this stage I don't think so...but they are just pure magic to watch at any rate during reg season. Six year contracts? I'm not so sure on that...that would put them at 39 yrs of age, & I could see them retiring from NHL to play in Sweden before then...but then again, who knows?

Wait, you mean you don't have to sign everyone to the longest term possible and/or for as much money as possible and force them to accept a no movement clause?

I am unfamiliar with this style of GMing, but wish to learn more. :ph34r:

They're at $6.1M now, even if they take "less" I think that's still $7M per and that's $14M on the cap annually. Length? I think the desire here, at this point from both sides, is to have the twins "retire as lifetime Canucks" which will at least be some recompense for not winning a Cup ;)

As such, I think you're looking at at least 4-5 year deals and I said six because only a moron would sign a guy to a contract they expect him to play until he's, you know, 42 or something.

And never a 35+ guy. :ph34r:

So, you know, you want to lock them up now. :)

And there's not really a good way to do the old "extra cheap years to lower the cap hit" any more. Those wily owners fooled the players into giving up their ability to sign whatever ridiculous contract is put in front of them - now they have to be sure it fits into the parameters limiting them that they forced the owners to accept.

Or something. It cost us half a season of hockey, anyway. Bygones.

I think the opposite, the twins have failed and failed again to up their game in the playoffs. I would start the rebuild in earnest and ship them out for a BIG haul. Otherwise, the Nucks will be forced to watch playoff failure after failure and never really be able to change the core group of players, due to the Sedins. I'm not saying they were the only problem in Van, but they were a big part of it. This is the only real chance the Nucks have to start over...if they lose this chance, they might not have any more takers. That is an ENORMOUS cap hit. It would take a St.Louis or somebody who wants to compete right now.

Or a Nashville, a team that has never had an elite center and badly needs front line scoring...how about Weber and Filip Forsberg for the Twins...would you do that?

Believe me, jammer, I ABSOLUTELY hear what you're saying! The twins have great seasons & then vanish into thin air come playoff time...very lop-sided playing & frustrating to fans. But even if we were to do a huge core overhaul, I'm not so sure I'd start with the Sedins. They're also missing the ingredient beside them...what were they like when Kes was healthy & on his game? Incredible. There has not been anyone to fill that void on their line for awhile now. I'm also hoping to see what happens to their game with Torts lighting a fire underneath them & the likes of Booth, Burrows & Kes...can he make magic happen again? No more lackadaisical, country club atmosphere...Torts wants to prove everyone wrong & has a fire to win.

Booth is also coming off his ankle injury & Kes says after 2 yrs, he finally feels healthy again...Booth has also been considered the #1 sleeper in the NHL for this year...hmm, hard to imagine that but here's hoping, huh?

Weber & Forsberg for the Twins? Imo, no, but if it came push to shove, I'd take Weber, but Forsberg is just too unproven yet for my taste, considering you're trading for the Twins caliber.

Wait, you mean you don't have to sign everyone to the longest term possible and/or for as much money as possible and force them to accept a no movement clause?

One mega whopper of a screwed in the arse contract is more than enough for us, thanks....lol!  :huh:

I think the desire here, at this point from both sides, is to have the twins "retire as lifetime Canucks" which will at least be some recompense for not winning a Cup

That would be a nice 'bookend' to the 2 'bookends'...haha. Yah, I've resigned myself to the fact that we will never get that elusive Cup, at least, not in my lifetime, anyway...haha.  I just wanna see them not make fools of themselves at least, & put up a tough fight, go down swinging, ya know? 

So, you know, you want to lock them up now.

Yah, that would be ideal if they could manage that.   :) 

@goalnut3133  Maybe throw in a first rounder to even it out?  OR...maybe just keep the twins but allow them to wear Team Sweden jersey's under their equipment for the playoffs  ;)

Yah, either that or Torts holding them at gunpoint, "Score, dammit...score! Do something...ANYTHING, besides being a couple of pylons for practise!!"     :angry: Me Torts!! You Score!!

"I think the desire here, at this point from both sides, is to have the twins "retire as lifetime Canucks" which will at least be some recompense for not winning a Cup"

I would want no part of this attitude. The twins retiring losers would do nothing for me if I was a Nucks fan. For one thing, it would damn the franchise to another 5-8 years of no fight in the playoffs. The fans in Vancouver deserve better than this. Myself, I give these guys one more kick at the can. If they don't get them to at least the finals, admit defeat and start over.

I don't think St.Louis would ever do this, but I have heard Pietrangelo and Tarasenko for the twins being bantered about. Even though Tarasenko only has one year under his belt, and is far from a proven commodity, a blind man could see he is literally dripping with potential. The tough part would be giving up the all world talent of Pietrangelo. I don't think St.Louis would ever do it, but they would still be left with Shattenkirk to run the top pp, who is better than most teams top d-man on the pp. Imagine the depth the Blues would have at forward....

Sedin  Sedin  T.J Oshie

Steen Backes Stewart

Schwartz Roy Paajarvi

Sbotka  Berglund Langenbruner

All of a sudden the team with no scoring, would have some damn nice depth....and would still have their defense and goalies intact....minus Pietrangelo....what a HUGE loss that would be, but I believe it would be the type of high end package the Nucks would require to move the twins.

That would still leave the Blues with

Bouwmeester  Shattenkirk

B.Jackman  Roman Polak (Roman is pretty underrated in my books, solid all round game)

J.Leopold Ian Cole

That is still a pretty solid crew that Hitch would be left to work with.

2 kids may that have a chance to crack the starting line up in Oct are RW Ty Rattie and highly thought of young d-man Jordan Schmaltz. Man, this trade would make the Blues among the favourites to come out of the West.

@jammer2  The finals?? Sorry to burst bubbles out there, but I highly doubt we are gonna get close to the finals this year! It would be nice to just last past Round 1 though & not get eaten by the Sharks again!

Pietrangelo would be super sweet but I can't see a deal with the Blues ever happening, esp. like this. Imagine us facing the Twins however many times in the West?  That would just be too much of an 'alternate universe' sorta thing for the Nucks to deal with.

Not to mention, if the twins were dealt....remember the Van rio.... Oh, never mind.... :ph34r:

@jammer2  The finals?? Sorry to burst bubbles out there, but I highly doubt we are gonna get close to the finals this year! It would be nice to just last past Round 1 though & not get eaten by the Sharks again!

Pietrangelo would be super sweet but I can't see a deal with the Blues ever happening, esp. like this. Imagine us facing the Twins however many times in the West?  That would just be too much of an 'alternate universe' sorta thing for the Nucks to deal with.

Not to mention, if the twins were dealt....remember the Van rio.... Oh, never mind.... :ph34r:

A very solid point, if the Nucks were to trade the wonder twins (form of losers...ha ha!), it would probably not be to a team in the West, where the twins could potentially block their way to the finals for years and year. On the other hand, if they were to move them, only a handful of teams would have the cap space and prerequisite young talent to pull off the deal.....they would not be in a position of strength, maybe even forced to deal them to the West if trading them suddenly became the best thing for the org. 

I just realized how outnumbered i'm gonna be in the game chat room on Tues Oct 15th!!   :wacko: 

Oh, no need to worry, we will take it easy on you.....just a heads up, maybe not best to wear your glasses that day!! LOL!

only a handful of teams would have the cap space

Yah, that double-whammy cap hit is a real 'deal-breaker'....not a great position to be in for those teams...plus losing solid young talent and/or 1st round pick? In exchange for...2 x 34 yr olds....hmm....

@goalnut3133  I had no idea the twins were already 34, I thought they were 31 for some reason. Yeah, not a lot of teams will sell the farm for guys *that* old. They might even start to regress pts wise from here on out....this changes everything....disregard my previous trade pipedreams, you are stuck with them...ha ha.

@goalnut3133  I had no idea the twins were already 34, I thought they were 31 for some reason. Yeah, not a lot of teams will sell the farm for guys *that* old. They might even start to regress pts wise from here on out....this changes everything....disregard my previous trade pipedreams, you are stuck with them...ha ha.

Well they're turning 33 end of Sept. and by the time of their last yr of the contract, they'll be heading towards 34...yah, not the most prime of deals to be had....

Also, with Torts 'defense style' of play, this could further change their points stats...arrgh...just what we needed! This is going to be one helluva interesting year!