Bourdon, Danis, Newbury, Holmstrom waived to AHL

AJgoal

They have until noon on Friday before they clear. MAB is a risky move. I could see a defense-starved team putting in a claim on him. As many have noted, he looked to have a decent future in the NHL. If he never recovers, they didn't lose anything to pick him up.

They have until noon on Friday before they clear. MAB is a risky move. I could see a defense-starved team putting in a claim on him. As many have noted, he looked to have a decent future in the NHL. If he never recovers, they didn't lose anything to pick him up.

I can understand the reasoning for MAB.  I just don't think he is fully healed.  He is one hit away from having his career end before it got started.

I can understand the reasoning for MAB.  I just don't think he is fully healed.  He is one hit away from having his career end before it got started.

Everybody's "one hit away" - just some need lighter hits.

I think the real issue here could be his confidence and willingness to play the way a NHL defenceman would need to play.

And then the question of whether his body can follow if the mind can lead.

• Like 1

I don't get this move sending MAB down. Why not just let him begin the season as a Flyer and then ship him off to LTIR, fully protecting his rights in the process. There must be a big incentive to sending him down before the season starts.

I don't get this move sending MAB down. Why not just let him begin the season as a Flyer and then ship him off to LTIR, fully protecting his rights in the process. There must be a big incentive to sending him down before the season starts.

Playing time is really the best I can think of it. His two-way pays the same this season. He's an RFA at the end. 

Can he still play?

@radoran  If it's about playing time, then why take the risk of sending him down right now? Inevitably he will have to be exposed to get him down there. The only thing I can think of is teams might not want to take the chance on him health wise right now, which might decrease the odds of him getting claimed, thus effectively setting him up to join the Phantoms once he is healthy enough.

@radoran  If it's about playing time, then why take the risk of sending him down right now? Inevitably he will have to be exposed to get him down there. The only thing I can think of is teams might not want to take the chance on him health wise right now, which might decrease the odds of him getting claimed, thus effectively setting him up to join the Phantoms once he is healthy enough.

I don't think the Flyers want to take a chance on him health-wise, and I don't think anyone is sanguine about his long-term ability to play the game as he will need to. 

Like I said earlier: will the body follow if the mind can lead?

Can he still play?

And for that matter, why would someone take the risk on a player who, at this point, has shown himself to be the second coming of Danny Syvret?

@radoran  MAB is a legit prospect. Really nice shot from the point, respectable physical aspect in his game. It's very risky sending him down, even with a mush head. He's a considerably better prospect than Syvret ever was.

Yes, Syvret was hyperbole - but, in truth, Bourdon hasn't done much more than Syvret at similar points in their careers.

I don't see them on the ice every day, I don't have scouting reports as most teams would have. The move - and if he clears waivers - would indicate to me that anyone who might re-sign him (he is an RFA next season) is going to want him to get significant playing time to show he's still the legit prospect he was before the injury.

He's still not "playing hockey."

And, as I said earlier, his salary is the same in the A or the N - so neither side loses anything with him down there and the Flyers don't need to worry about LTIR.

We'll see what happens before Friday at Noon.

Everybody's "one hit away" - just some need lighter hits.

I think the real issue here could be his confidence and willingness to play the way a NHL defenceman would need to play.

And then the question of whether his body can follow if the mind can lead.

very true....you knew what I meant.  Some injuries are just tough to get over.  You can see a broken bone become healed.  You can't always see if a brain has healed from it its injury. (even with MRI's) it is tough.

MAB was sent down due to the Flyers inability to move a Dman and get to the cap ceiling.  The move is financial only.

Look up the article "Timing is Everything"  It will make more sense after you read that. 

I have made the following statement:

Hartnell/Giroux/Voracek

Schenn/Vinnie/Simmonds

Talbot/Couturier/Read

Rosehill/Hall/Rinaldo

Timonen/Coburn

Schenn/Streit

Grossmann/Meszaros

Gus/Pronger

Emery/Mason

That group is under the cap.  Run the numbers.  No 13th forward, 8 Dmen including Pronger.  When Pronger can go on the LTIR you can call up the 13th forward of Raffl or McGinn or Whoever.

We have 3 choices.

1.  Go with the group above and use ALL of Prongers LTIR

2.  Waive Gus to minors and keep Laughton...and use ALL of Prongers LTIR

3.  Be over the cap at the beginning of the year and only get to use whatever above the cap we are at that time for the rest of the year.

why take the risk of sending him down right now?

less risk now than two weeks from now.  teams are looking to cut down towards a normal roster; most aren't looking to add right now.  a minor name on the waiver wire is more likely to slip by unnoticed while even the thinnest teams have 12 dmen in camp.  you'll see a lot of this for the next week or so, guys who would stand a decent chance of being claimed in mid december being exposed and reassigned without a peep.

• Like 1

That group is under the cap.  Run the numbers.  No 13th forward, 8 Dmen including Pronger.  When Pronger can go on the LTIR you can call up the 13th forward of Raffl or McGinn or Whoever.

We have 3 choices.

1.  Go with the group above and use ALL of Prongers LTIR
2.  Waive Gus to minors and keep Laughton...and use ALL of Prongers LTIR
3.  Be over the cap at the beginning of the year and only get to use whatever above the cap we are at that time for the rest of the year.

ran the numbers.  that roster has a cap hit of $66,326,429.  

1.  go with the group above, and you'd only get a tiny bit over $2mil in cap allowance from pronger.

2.  gus down and laughton up allows an extra $100k in cap allowance

3.  being over the cap seems inevitable at this point.  there is no combination of two players to be sent down that gets the flyers to exactly the cap ceiling.  better bet at this point is to shoot for adding salary.  add $2mil in salary somehow (gill?), allowing the flyers to claim $4mil of allowance from pronger's LTIR.

He's played 131 games in the past three years and all of 17 last season. He's skating, but not yet practicing, much less taking contact.

@aziz's points are valid - but the idea that Bourdon is some sort of sought-after commodity at the moment is, IMO, wrong.

And his $625K is among the least of the potential cap problems. He'll be due just less than $700K in a qualifier. 

We'll see what happens by Friday at Noon.

No Rad, he's not necessarily a sought after commodity. But what he is is a no risk, high reward pickup if someone grabs him off waivers.They don't have to give up a draft pick to get him. So what if he never ends up healthy? stick him on LTIR and don't re-sign him. You've lost nothing. But, if he does return to health, you've got someone who has ceiling potential to be a 3-4 D-man. That's not bad for the less than $100k in cash that a successful claim will cost you. 

• Like 1

No Rad, he's not necessarily a sought after commodity. But what he is is a no risk, high reward pickup if someone grabs him off waivers.They don't have to give up a draft pick to get him. So what if he never ends up healthy? stick him on LTIR and don't re-sign him. You've lost nothing. But, if he does return to health, you've got someone who has ceiling potential to be a 3-4 D-man. That's not bad for the less than $100k in cash that a successful claim will cost you. 

Then another plausible explanation is that the Flyers' cap situation is so dire that $625K is a bigger problem than it seems.

Then another plausible explanation is that the Flyers' cap situation is so dire that $625K is a bigger problem than it seems.

Or Holmgren made a serious error in judgement. But we all know that would never happen...

Or Holmgren made a serious error in judgement. But we all know that would never happen...

I think either way you look at it - cap problem or mistaken waiver - it doesn't necessarily reflect well on Homer.

So, basically, my theory that this was a shrewd move with an injured player was giving Homer too much credit?

I want credit for that :D

Well, it's only a mistake if someone claims him and he makes a full recovery. Otherwise Homer was a genius for getting him off the payroll and getting a bit of cash for him. EDIT: or if he goes unclaimed.

I don't know someone will claim him, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone takes a chance on grabbing him.

Edited by AJgoal

Well, it's only a mistake if someone claims him and he makes a full recovery. Otherwise Homer was a genius for getting him off the payroll and getting a bit of cash for him. EDIT: or if he goes unclaimed.

I don't know someone will claim him, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone takes a chance on grabbing him.

We'll see what happens by Friday at Noon.