Franson signs for 1yr $2M

hf101

Good to see a bit of give and take on both sides. I have liked Franson as a player ever since he played junior with the Giants and think he has turned into a solid 2nd pairing guy. You can bet that next year he signs for at least $3 mill on a multi year deal.

@EDI-Flyer   I'm thinking he will get a really nice deal should he put up the numbers he posted in the shortened season over a full year. At least 4 mill a year. He was in the top 10 in ppg for d-men in the short year. That's why the Leafs wanted a multi year deal, locking him in at the cheaper rate for another season. The way it stands now, if he has another good offensive season, the Leafs will be forced to walk away from an arbitrators decision.....of course, also factoring in their tremendous depth on defense.

The one thing I noticed in pre-season, Morgan Riley is actually faster than Jake Gardiner. Jake has a smoother stride, but for pure speed, I'd say Morgan has the same or close to the explosive nature that P.K Subban shows. Very impressive that kid.

the Leafs will be forced to walk away from an arbitrators decision

I think it depends on

A)What happens with the cap (IMO it is likely it will get higher...)

B)Whether they resign Phaneuf or let him walk. Even if they resign Phaneuf I cannot see it being at his current $6.5 million

Having said that they also have to find cap space to re-sign "The Slasher"

Solid young blue liner from the Barry Trotz University....Just absolutely given to the Leafs I think the conversation had to have went something like this:

Nashville: Will you take Lombardi off of our hands?

Toronto, No way, unless you give us Franson too.

Nashville: Wow that's hard, I guess we can do that.

Toronto: And you have to take Lebda as part of the deal.

Nashville: Really? To get you to take Lombardi we have to give you Franson and take Lebda back????

Toronto: Yes, only way

Nashville: Okay

Toronto: Good deal. You drive a hard bargain

Solid young blue liner from the Barry Trotz University....Just absolutely given to the Leafs I think the conversation had to have went something like this:

Nashville: Will you take Lombardi off of our hands?

Toronto, No way, unless you give us Franson too.

Nashville: Wow that's hard, I guess we can do that.

Toronto: And you have to take Lebda as part of the deal.

Nashville: Really? To get you to take Lombardi we have to give you Franson and take Lebda back????

Toronto: Yes, only way

Nashville: Okay

Toronto: Good deal. You drive a hard bargain

:D

Pretty good for a deal sweetener. Even better if he can keep doing what he was doing last season.