Getting Under That Cap

Guest WingNut722

Today's the deadline, and Ken Holland answered...

Gustav Nyquist and Petr Mrazek have been assigned to Grand Rapids.

Darren Helm has been put in long-term injured reserve (along with Patrick Eaves). 

So we're under the cap and ready to start the season.  I doubt very much that Helm will spend a lot of time on LTIR, and he'll begin to rotate back into action slowly until he's 100%.  

Helm is out for a minimum of 24 days I think, if he's on LTIR.

And this is exactly what I didn't want to see, Nyquist in the AHL. Such a waste.

Agreed, Nyquist should be playing NHL. I've been impressed with him whenever I watch him (which, admittedly isn't much).

Also, I thought they mentioned on TV that Mrazek would stick for a bit since Gus is injured? Or is he back now?

I thought Mrazek played very well in the snippets I saw of the Detroit/Toronto mostly AHL matchup the other night.

@Commander Clueless Nice to see you back & around the forum, Commander!

I also was quite impressed with Mrazek in the Pens game last week, though it was a loss, what can you say? It was the rooks vs the likes of Sid & Malkin... Too bad, was hoping to see more of this rookie 'tender this season..think this kid will do well in future/NHL. :)

Nyquist, Beau Bennett from the Pens and Toffoli were all victims of having options and playing for stacked teams. sad really but thems the breaks.

With the difference being that Bennet and Toffoli are 21 where Nyquist is 24.  

With the difference being that Bennet and Toffoli are 21 where Nyquist is 24.

True. Gus will be a top six this year or the next, Sammy will break a pinky or Bert will slip and wrench his back getting out of the bathtub and then Nyquist will be here for good.

My biggest concern is center, using the theory that Z and Dats are on the same line, that leaves Weiss and Andersson, and then?? I have written Helm off. That leaves:

Emmerton who is barely better than worthless

Sheahan or Glendening, okay prospects but inexperienced

Gus, moving to center where is more than capable

Abdelkader moving off the wing on the first line and to the grind line center where he has played before

Break up Z and Pavel

Of these, Emmerton has proven he is just a body, Glendening and Tinky Winky are okay, Abdelkader seems to finally have found his role as the new Homer, and I love Z and Pavel together. So that means IMHO give Gus a shot as a third line center with Andersson on the fourth line, and the forwards all fall together.

Edited by yave1964

@yave1964  This is a horrible miscarriage of justice, sending down Nyquist. The kid has the talent and work ethic to be not only a NHL regular, but a star. I do think his stay in the AHL will be short lived, but I thought he should have been a regular last year. Holland is messing with his ability to grow and develop, there is nothing the AHL can teach this kid now. I think it had a lot to do with being the only one on the cusp of making it with a legal send down/re-call, but this does not seem fair.

• Like 1

@Commander Clueless Nice to see you back & around the forum, Commander!

I also was quite impressed with Mrazek in the Pens game last week, though it was a loss, what can you say? It was the rooks vs the likes of Sid & Malkin... Too bad, was hoping to see more of this rookie 'tender this season..think this kid will do well in future/NHL. :)

At ease, good sir!

And yes I think Mrazek has the makings of a good young goalie from what I've seen. Plus, a friggin' sweet name.

@yave1964

Pav and Z will not be broken up.  That was the whole idea behind getting Alfie and Weiss on a line.  Yes, Helm has to sit for a bit, but when he returns, I still think they'll ease him in with a on/off rotation schedule.  Inevitably, there will be injuries and Nyquist will be the first one called up.  The other two lines are centered with Emmerton and Andersson.  I agree with your assessment of Emmerton.  He's just about useless.  I haven't really seen any noteworthy play out of him.    Of course, once Helm comes back, he'll be rotated out.