Lappy's "project" to turn Rinaldo into PKer

brelic

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/20131011_Laperriere_settles_into_new_job_as_Flyers_assistant.html

That would be a great additional role for Rinaldo. He seems to want to learn. He's already become a more disciplined player, so this would be a bonus.

Always engaging and honest, Laperriere said he will "work on little details," such as proper positioning, and he will coach the penalty-killing unit. "I made a career doing that, and I'm going to help those guys be better penalty-killers individually and as a team."

Laperriere, who was behind the bench when the Flyers scored a 2-1 win over Florida on Tuesday in the first game of the Berube era, said one of his "projects" was to try to get speedy winger Zac Rinaldo on one of the penalty-killing units.

• Like 1

yes it does sound good in theory. He's fast, hungry, loves to challenge the puck-carrier ... hits like a mack truck. But he's such a zebra-magnet I wonder if it would do more harm than good having him on the PK.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/20131011_Laperriere_settles_into_new_job_as_Flyers_assistant.html

That would be a great additional role for Rinaldo. He seems to want to learn. He's already become a more disciplined player, so this would be a bonus.

I think this is a fantastic idea and I think Lappy is a great mentor for him. I have often wondered why goons, muckers, grinds, and other guys who generally aren't skilled players don't actively work on being good on everything that doesn't involved passing or shooting. If I was a guy like that, I'd be killing myself getting better at faceoffs, reading players, playing solid D, etc.

yes it does sound good in theory. He's fast, hungry, loves to challenge the puck-carrier ... hits like a mack truck. But he's such a zebra-magnet I wonder if it would do more harm than good having him on the PK.

He would have to rein it in a little bit, obviously. But with his speed and consistent effort it would be a great role for him. He has to be positionally disciplined and not necessarily go for the big hits on the PK, but considering how far he's come since his junior days I think he could do it.

• Like 1

That's true, but consider how he's improved in that department since getting a regular NHL gig:

2011-12, 3.52 PIM/Game

2012-13, 2.66 PIM/Game

2013-14, 0.50 PIM/Game

This current season is still too early to really tell how it will play out, but the trend is going in the right direction if he is to get more and more TOI (which he has):

2011-12, 7:29 avg TOI

2012-13, 8:23 avg TOI

2013-14, 9:37 avg TOI

Positive trends for Rinaldo.

@JackStraw

@fanaticV3.0

@brelic

good stuff, didn't realize his numbers had improved that dramatically. More ice team seems to agree with him. Fan's right, there's no reason a guy with his love for the game should remain so entirely one-dimensional. Like Jack says he'll need to reel it in a bit, not look for the big hit while he's skating PK but if he does that - and his numbes show he can - he could a helluva penalty killer.

@Samifan

That's great to hear; so he's got some experience killing penalties. If Murray trusted him out there a man-down that's a good endorsement.

@JackStraw

@fanaticV3.0

@brelic

good stuff, didn't realize his numbers had improved that dramatically. More ice team seems to agree with him. Fan's right, there's no reason a guy with his love for the game should remain so entirely one-dimensional. Like Jack says he'll need to reel it in a bit, not look for the big hit while he's skating PK but if he does that - and his numbes show he can - he could a helluva penalty killer.

@Samifan

That's great to hear; so he's got some experience killing penalties. If Murray trusted him out there a man-down that's a good endorsement.

I would absolutely love to see a guy like him take his toughness, not lose it, but grow it into something else as well. No reason for him to stay so one-dimensional at all.

I don't think it wouldbe all that difficult. People seem to associate aggressive players with stupid ones. Rinaldo's a smart kid, he knows what he had too do to get into the NHL, AND IT WORKED. He has good wheels, hits like a deamon and is willing to scarifice his body for the team.

Unfortunately he took a step backwards last night... 3 minors. The fight was good, and it came after what I thought was a b.s. roughing call. But the 2 penalties he took later were ugly, just dumb penalties to take in a 1-goal game.

I'm sure he sees how he's practically the only Flyer who's playing worth a damn but penalties are killing them. When nothing (besides goaltending) is going right we have to stay out of the penalty box at least.