lapierre's hit on Boyle

J0e Th0rnton

I'm not sure what Lapierre will get from Shanny.  It really wasn't a late hit. It was a hit from behind as Boyle turned, however the initial intent didn't seem that bad although he gives that extra shove in the back that drives the unbalanced Boyle's chin onto the rail knocking him out.

Lapierre isn't a repeat offender.

3 games? 

I'd say at least 3 games if not more. He isn't considered 'repeat offender' by NHL but that's only cuz it was 18 mths ago for his last controversial hit (also on Sharks), which I think should still be considered, it's already on his record. When he played for us, he was always instigating problems for the other team, a real pest & would try to get away with things, which drove me nuts cuz he was causing us so many penalties. I still don't really like this hit, whether Boyle was already stumbling before the impact or not...it's too close to 'boarding' to me, which is why it's illegal, cuz bad accidents like this can happen.

It looks worse than it really was. While Lapierre is a mouth piece, he isn't a dirty player. I'm expecting a couple of games for the hit itself, but this league unfortunately punishes as much the result of the hit as they do the action itself.

I'll except all flame on this one. I'm having a hard time with this one. Boyle is turning away as Lapierre goes for the hit. This isn't  a straight hit from behind into the boards.  It looks like Boyle stumbles a little just before the hit which causes his head to come down, and then with the hit his chin hit the edge of the boards.  If he doesn't, it looks to be a typical rub out. I'm not seeing any ill intent here.  I think that this is going to be a case of any suspension being dished out will be due to the injury, which always sets a bad precedent.

@nossagog

I agree, noss, other than the extra shove on the back with Lappy's arm which seemed to be the knock out punch.  I wouldn't think this play was that bad.  Chara got 0 games for basically a similar play.  It is the ledge that affects this hit to be more dangerous.  Basically I chose 3 games because I think Lappy could have decided not to give that extra shove with his arm knowing Boyle was on his way down.

I would be all for this hit being legal until Lapierre throws that unnecessary shove. The initial contact wasn't late and Boyle turned making himself vulnerable. However, once Max throws that extra shot, he crossed the line much like the Stuart hit on Nash where he made first contact with the body but then threw an unnecessary head shot... 

Now my REAL problem with the hit....

If you watch the video again, look for the ref in the bottom right corner of the screen. HE DOESN'T CALL THE PENALTY! Not immediately at least! And you can even hear the announcer, Dave Strader, say, "And now the referee has his arm up." probably 5 seconds after the hit was made. The referees aren't calling penalties anymore! They're calling injuries! And if the Pacioretty-Chara incident taught us anything, it's that injury doesn't mean a damn thing when determining the legality of the hit! I mean Chara wasn't even punished for his hit! In fact, the league rebuilt the ice surface around dirty hits like that one so they could justify not suspending him even though he clearly extended his arms and wanted to seriously injure Max Pacioretty! The league consistently contradicts itself and it's so frustrating to see the refs and the committee for player safety punish for causing injury, then turn around and disregard injury all together. It would be like if the league punished Colton Orr for injuring George Parros! It's becoming absolute nonsense