Linesmen to Stop Fights when players remove helmets

hf101

The League is serious, No Fighting without a helmet on. 

Since the players don't care about the extra 2 minutes rule for removing ones helmet, fights will now be stopped quickly by the Linesmen as they did Montreal Tuesday night seconds after Moen and Gazdic dumped their helmets to scrap.

http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/darren_dreger/?id=434817

I don't agree with this. You either fall and hit your head from fighting or you take a puck to the face and shatter your bones. It's hockey. If they don't want injuries, make them wear cages, remove hitting and make them play with a plastic puck. 

If they want to do it at the Amateur level and juniors then okay. But in the AHL, NHL...it's stupid if you ask me. 

@iban3z

This is all about Insurance as the league does not want responsibility for head injuries that are preventable. 

I saw this....

@JohnLuTSNMtl: #Habs Moen says one linesman apologized to him for having to prevent his intended fight with #Oilers Gazdic last night (league directive).

Wonder how many refs will be replaced in the league in the future for not following the league initiative to breaking up fights without helmets.

I was so confused when the officials broke this one up... I get that the league wants to be a hero in the fighting epidemic, but doesn't seem like the fighters don't want to be saved? They acknowledge and accept the risks they are taking. There's no other comparison to it in sports as in other sports, in similar instances, only one of the players is in charge (Helmet on helmet hits in football, running the catcher in baseball) Both parties are willing combatants so why is the league getting involved? I understand there are lawsuits and other legal things the league has to deal with, but if a player ever tries to sue the league for head trauma, the league can just look back at tape. Did they willingly remove their helmet during fights throughout their career? As far as I'm concerned, this is the players' decision to make

If you're gonna make a dumb rule such as that, why not require the players to leave their gloves on?  

That way, you won't hurt your fist if you punch a helmet. 

Mostly because punching with a hockey glove is akin to hitting someone with a brick. Those gloves are haaard

I understand there are lawsuits and other legal things the league has to deal with, but if a player ever tries to sue the league for head trauma, the league can just look back at tape. Did they willingly remove their helmet during fights throughout their career? As far as I'm concerned, this is the players' decision to make

So then you must also be implying that the Players are willing to pay their own insurance??   Thus Remove all responsibility from the league.   I'll bet the NHLPA will vote for that in a heartbeat.  :ph34r:

I was so confused when the officials broke this one up... I get that the league wants to be a hero in the fighting epidemic, but doesn't seem like the fighters don't want to be saved? They acknowledge and accept the risks they are taking. There's no other comparison to it in sports as in other sports, in similar instances, only one of the players is in charge (Helmet on helmet hits in football, running the catcher in baseball) Both parties are willing combatants so why is the league getting involved? I understand there are lawsuits and other legal things the league has to deal with, but if a player ever tries to sue the league for head trauma, the league can just look back at tape. Did they willingly remove their helmet during fights throughout their career? As far as I'm concerned, this is the players' decision to make

The Boogard family says 'hello'. Granted, their suit is also about substance abuse and treatment (or lack of) but the crux of the suit is that the repeated concussions led to the substance abuse issues....and that the NHL should have known.

I wonder what Derek Boogard (RIP) would have said if you told him he could not fight anymore because that may lead to brain trauma which may lead to substance abuse issues which may lead to an early death.