Sedin Twins Signed

hf101

@goalnut3133

I dunno how much of a home town discount they were on?  They each were making 6.1M in their prime.  4 years ago how many players were making over 6M?

Even though there were a few rumors floating around I think both the players and management made it known that they wanted another contract signed.

@goalnut3133

I dunno how much of a home town discount they were on?  They each were making 6.1M in their prime.  4 years ago how many players were making over 6M?

Even though there were a few rumors floating around I think both the players and management made it known that they wanted another contract signed.

In 08-09, the Sedins were making $3.575M. They signed their $6.1M deal the next year. 

Neidermayer, Miller, Semin, Vanek, Bouwmeester, Phaneuf, Iginla, Campbell, Statsny. B. Richards, Datsuyk, Lidstrom, Kopitar, Smyth, Gomez, Gaborik, Drury, Redden, Lundqvist, Spezza, Briere, Timonen, Pronger, Jovanovski, Malkin, Crosby, Heatley, Thornton, Marleau, Boyle, Lecavalier, Luongo, Ovechkin, Kovalchuk all had bigger cap hits them on that deal.

Giguere, Rafalski, Backstrom, Elias, Kariya were $6M cap hits

Henrik led all scorers in the league with 112 points that year and both brothers had more points than every player above except those in bold.

The Sedins were - and likely are - on a "hometown" discount deal, but I think it's more of a "family" discount deal to make sure that they can stay together, play together and the team has enough to support them with other players.

• Like 1

I think you could make a fair argument that the twins could have got at *least* a mill more a year and a few extra years tacked on to this deal had they waited for free agency. Before anyone says "yeah, but who could have afforded *both* of them....the Wings could fit them in no prob. Could you imagine the depth the Wings would have adding these 2? That is scary. The twins showed some loyalty to the city of Vancouver by signing this deal, from that perspective, it's kinda cool.

Congrats Vancouver....you just secured mediocrity in the playoffs. The positive side, they will both be legit players for the lifetime of this contract. There is no funny business paying these two into their 40's etc. Well, the Nucks have chosen their fate, now the task becomes who can you put around them to push this team over the edge. For starters, how about a legit star to play with the twins? If you are gonna put all your eggs in the twins basket, might as well make sure the handle is secured.....lol.

Good stuff @radoran! (haven't checked your numbers but I'm sure they're correct lol).  Yes, I think the twins could have gotten more on their deal if they really wanted, but in a press interview today, they said money was only a part of the negotiations, which they made pretty clear prior, about family here, etc. (They just made the fans nervous for awhile here..lol. )  

I'm not saying now they'll get the Cup, but I like what I've seen Torts do with the team so far. I haven't seen as much shot blocking before nor goal scoring coming from our 1st through 3rd lines, plus from our 1st/2nd D-lines..., esp by the new blood Richardson & Stanton, not to mention the hot kid on the block right now, Santorelli...he's gotten points on just about every game.

If they can keep up what they've been doing & building on these strengths, I think (for once this year!) they could be good contenders in the playoffs. I'm not sure they'll be cup-worthy before BoHo & Shink are ready, but they could come on strong.

I think the seven million a year is kind of overpriced, however the cap is going to go up, so in a year or two it will be a bargain. Nice classy negotiation with the two faces of the franchise. Good move all around.

I think you could make a fair argument that the twins could have got at *least* a mill more a year and a few extra years tacked on to this deal had they waited for free agency. Before anyone says "yeah, but who could have afforded *both* of them....the Wings could fit them in no prob. Could you imagine the depth the Wings would have adding these 2? That is scary. The twins showed some loyalty to the city of Vancouver by signing this deal, from that perspective, it's kinda cool.

Congrats Vancouver....you just secured mediocrity in the playoffs. The positive side, they will both be legit players for the lifetime of this contract. There is no funny business paying these two into their 40's etc. Well, the Nucks have chosen their fate, now the task becomes who can you put around them to push this team over the edge. For starters, how about a legit star to play with the twins? If you are gonna put all your eggs in the twins basket, might as well make sure the handle is secured.....lol.

Homer would have dealt Giroux, traded for their rights and then offered two $8M/8 deals...