This is shocking, want to know what Ruff thinks

Buffalo Rick

I am ten minutes finding out this news.  I see Miller with Lafontaine and I am shocked.    I think since this is my team I need to chime in as most of the responses are from Flyers fans who really do not want us to succeed.  

Why would Nolan come back?  Is he that desperate?  He was coach of the year and then gets no contract.  I cannot remember that ever happening i any sport.  Perhaps it was part due to his being an Indian?  I cannnot rule it out.  Buffalo has its first ever black QB.  

Short term Nolan will fire the team up.  Long term, I believe Pegula may have  made a big big mistake with the timing and Regier was doing a great job of piling up these 12 picks.  Maybe he just did not trust him on how to use them.  But in comes a great player, and great players selddom make great coaches or GM's.  Example, Wayne Gretsky.  I tuned in last night towards the end wondering how they would find a way to screw up another incredible performance by Miller.   If they are smart, they do not trade Miller.  They have more damn picks than Xmas cookies.  They need to keep Miller and build around him   He is not old.  Broduer is old.  

Too soon to say if this is good or bad or just a knee jerk reaction by a millionaire.  But I would like to hear Lindy Ruff's take on this.  He is the one guy I trust and respect.

Carry on

@Hockey Junkie

Nolan comes back cause he wants to coach in the NHL. He wasn't fired for "being an Indian" :blink:  (Indians are actually from India) He was fired for going over his boss' head. He was likely never hired again til recently because (a) the old boys club and (b) gms didn't trust him to not go over their head.

Lafontaine is not the gm. He's President of hockey ops. Nolan is interim coach. Hopefully he gets the fulltime job. How you can possibly think Regier was doing a good job I have no idea. He's been gm longer than anyone and built a horrible hockey team. All by himself!

It's going to take a few years for all these draft picks to amount to anything. Miller will be fairly old by hockey standards then. I'd trade him if someone wants to overpay. If not, keep him. IF he wants to stay. I think he likely wants a chance to win so he's gone.

Miller is an UFA after this season and if he has a brain he would desert this sinking ship in a heartbeat. Lafontaine is faced with his first task as GM, re-up Miller or deal him and the quicker the better. I see Calgary as a good destination, they need a replacement for Kipper and the Ramo/Joey Mac/Berra/whoever is not working

@Hockey Junkie

Nolan comes back cause he wants to coach in the NHL. He wasn't fired for "being an Indian" :blink:  (Indians are actually from India) He was fired for going over his boss' head. He was likely never hired again til recently because (a) the old boys club and (b) gms didn't trust him to not go over their head.

Lafontaine is not the gm. He's President of hockey ops. Nolan is interim coach. Hopefully he gets the fulltime job. How you can possibly think Regier was doing a good job I have no idea. He's been gm longer than anyone and built a horrible hockey team. All by himself!

It's going to take a few years for all these draft picks to amount to anything. Miller will be fairly old by hockey standards then. I'd trade him if someone wants to overpay. If not, keep him. IF he wants to stay. I think he likely wants a chance to win so he's gone.

They can use some of those picks for established players.  So I do not think its going to take that long to build a winner if done right.  Guys like Steve Ott, Moulson and Hodgeson are already good players.  They need a few more.  i do not know you just bank on guys like Armia for example being great in a few years.  You have to do it via free agency too and draft picks are money in the bank   We had a bunch of bums with Nolan in 97 and won