Yet another Sean Couturier thread

JackStraw

I'm in agreement.  I've been somewhat impressed with him this year.  I think his skating has progressed and what he lacks in speed he makes up for in positioning and intelligent play.  

Certainly a player we'd regret giving up on.  I think he's pressing and the more he accepts his defensive role, his offensive production will increase.

One of Seravalli's better efforts imo:

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/20131118_Couturier_s_confidence_restored.html

People really need to stop worrying about this kid. He's going to be fine. Better than fine in fact.

Stop. Just stop. Think what you want about him, but do not lecture people for being concerned about a player when his production has gotten worse each year he's in the league. Nobody is exaggerating or making up his stats. He's statistically worse than ever.

@fanaticV3.0

And yet there he is...20 years old and going head to head with the leagues best offensive players and holding his own. Generally younger players have an extremely difficult time playing without the puck in the NHL. Couturier is actually excelling at it. It's still a pivotal part of a team. And TWO guys picked before him have more points in the NHL...TWO. And 3 in that entire draft class. The points will come. 

Sean Couturier has been in the league for two whole seasons this point.

His first season? 27 points in 77 games - .35 ppg

His second season? 15 points in 46 games - .33 ppg

Such a startling dropoff, don't you think for a player who has "gotten worse each year he's in the league"?

His 4 points in 19 this season is obviously a dropoff from his previous two, along with almost everyone else on the roster, but it is still early.

To be clear, I'm not riding the Couturier bandwagon, but don't really see a "dropoff" of .02 ppg as an indication of a player being "worse" in his second season.

I'm also not buying the whole "shutdown" thing yet - even with the "shutdown" of Evgeni Malkin, taking his 1.16 career ppg in playoff games to just 1.33 ppg when Couturier "shut him down" in 11-12.

@fanaticV3.0

And yet there he is...20 years old and going head to head with the leagues best offensive players and holding his own. Generally younger players have an extremely difficult time playing without the puck in the NHL. Couturier is actually excelling at it. It's still a pivotal part of a team. And TWO guys picked before him have more points in the NHL...TWO. And 3 in that entire draft class. The points will come. 

Based on what? There is nothing supporting that. It would be one thing if he didn't progress or only regressed slightly (like his first vs second year). But he's actually regressed each season he's played so far. His average ppg has gone down from .35 ppg to .33 to .21. That first one isn't the worst thing in the world, but when he continues to regress that's concerning. There is nothing supporting the notion that the points will come at all.

It's great that he's playing good D, but it matters very little when the rest of his game has gotten worse. It's not an excuse or defense for his struggles offensively.

One of Seravalli's better efforts imo:

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/20131118_Couturier_s_confidence_restored.html

People really need to stop worrying about this kid. He's going to be fine. Better than fine in fact.

Jack... I completely agree.

This kid is playing a defensive role and plays hard minutes against the opposing Teams best players night in and night out.  I actually think his skating has improved this year and he has played some very good defensive hockey.   The kid is 20 years old and has a good bit of development ahead of him... patience. 

But he's actually regressed each season he's played so far. His average ppg has gone down from .35 ppg to .33 to .21. That first one isn't the worst thing in the world, but when he continues to regress that's concerning. There is nothing supporting the notion that the points will come at all.

do you not see that the entire team has taken a significant step backwards this season, and that gives at least some context to couturier's drop off?  i said it in another thread, but the exact same argument can be made about voracek.  giroux's points pace is way down.  everyone's point pace is way down.  are the all regressing, or might the collective offensive ineptitude have a ripple effect through everyone's stat sheet, and thus say a little less about a given player's career than you are making it out to say?

That wasn't a lecture. My lectures are much longer than that, and are followed up with an exam. Consider yourself lucky.

Do you always run away from a conversation when you don't like or agree with someone or am I special? If you don't want to answer the question that's fine, but don't waste my time with this crap.

I'm also not buying the whole "shutdown" thing yet - even with the "shutdown" of Evgeni Malkin, taking his 1.16 career ppg in playoff games to just 1.33 ppg when Couturier "shut him down" in 11-12.

Obviously nobody completely shuts down anybody else every time. But Couturier is sent out out against the opposing team's top scoring line basically every game and consistently holds those guys in check. Malkin, Crosby, Spezza... is there anyone else on the team that could be thrown out against those guys game after game?

Do you always run away from a conversation when you don't like or agree with someone or am I special? If you don't want to answer the question that's fine, but don't waste my time with this crap.

I was merely correcting you. I hate it when people are wrong on the internet.

PS: you didn't ask me a question.

Edited by JackStraw
  • Like 1

Obviously nobody completely shuts down anybody else every time. But Couturier is sent out out against the opposing team's top scoring line basically every game and consistently holds those guys in check. Malkin, Crosby, Spezza... is there anyone else on the team that could be thrown out against those guys game after game?

I think he's done a pretty good job, especially considering his age.

Nevertheless, the whole "shut down Malkin" legend is a little overblown IMO - especially since Malkin's ppg average in that series was above his career ppg.

Gabriel Landeskog went 2nd overall in that draft. Great player, captain of his team, same age as Couturier. Over the 2+ years of playing in the NHL he's scored a grand total of 20 goals and 18 assists more than Couturier. That's approximately .1 goals and assists per game more.

You're right, they don't peak at that age, but just because he's young doesn't mean he's guaranteed to get better with age. There are plenty of young players who never reach their full potential.

You're right. But I'm sick of watching our players reach their full potential on other teams because of a lack of patience. So I'm willing to give a 20 year old who plays sound defence and has outscored his ENTIRE draft class (other than 3) in the NHL the benefit of the doubt.

I think he's done a pretty good job, especially considering his age.

Nevertheless, the whole "shut down Malkin" legend is a little overblown IMO - especially since Malkin's ppg average in that series was above his career ppg.

Maybe, maybe not. I think Malkin got a bunch of points in one game, and I don't remember him being involved in many big goals. Usually he's a guy that can change the course of a game, I don't remember him doing that in that series. That said, Malkin is (imo) the most talented player in the world. Nobody is going to shut him down for real.

Sean Couturier has been in the league for two whole seasons this point.

His first season? 27 points in 77 games - .35 ppg

His second season? 15 points in 46 games - .33 ppg

Such a startling dropoff, don't you think for a player who has "gotten worse each year he's in the league"?

His 4 points in 19 this season is obviously a dropoff from his previous two, along with almost everyone else on the roster, but it is still early.

To be clear, I'm not riding the Couturier bandwagon, but don't really see a "dropoff" of .02 ppg as an indication of a player being "worse" in his second season.

He's showing progress defensively and others areas that can't be measured statistically, but I agree he's not a "shutdown center" yet. I would just say, "Looks good, hope he keeps it up, let's not jump the gun yet" as far as this aspect of his play goes.

As far as his offense goes, .35 to .33 is practically nonexistent, but when he follows that up with a .21 ppg then we have a problem. If he ends up scoring at a rate of either of those first two years, I'm not bothered. But given the regression again, I'd be lying if I said there aren't some concerns with his offensive game.

Edited by fanaticV3.0

You're right. But I'm sick of watching our players reach their full potential on other teams because of a lack of patience. So I'm willing to give a 20 year old who plays sound defence and has outscored his ENTIRE draft class (other than 3) in the NHL the benefit of the doubt.

Amen FC!!!!