Pens get the Calls, the Bruins get the Win

hf101

@Polaris922

I'm not seeing where the puck bounced right over the stick, if you have a better video of it I'd like to see it. Again the rules state possession. Intended possession is not part of the rule.

I think it's pretty clear here...

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/12/07/video-bruins-eriksson-suffers-concussion-after-orpik-hit/

If its not over it it's right by the toe of the stick.

I think it's pretty clear here...

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/12/07/video-bruins-eriksson-suffers-concussion-after-orpik-hit/

If its not over it it's right by the toe of the stick.

That view isn't clear to me.  I haven't seen a different camera angle other than this gif where Eriksson never touches the puck.

http://www.thepensblog.com/2013-archives/december/gif-orpik-s-hit-on-loui-eriksson.html

That view isn't clear to me.  I haven't seen a different camera angle other than this gif where Eriksson never touches the puck.

http://www.thepensblog.com/2013-archives/december/gif-orpik-s-hit-on-loui-eriksson.html

Bylsma goes so far as to say the puck hits Eriksson's stick and goes UNDER it as he's unable to stop it.  The GIF makes that look pretty plausible to me as the puck appears to change direction.  It's actually flat on the ice till it's by Eriksson's stick then it starts to wobble around so he very well may have touched it.  Guess we'll never know for sure, but the Bruins camp aren't arguing the hit at all.  

Edited by Polaris922

@hf101  I had a nice view on my DVR, slowing up and down in high def. My DVR has this very slow moving clear frame by frame gimic....and it clearly shows the puck within a few inches of Ericksson's stick *right* before the impact. Close enough for me to say "possession". Even if it was not possession, Orpik's primary objective on that play is contain. For all Orpik knew, Ericksson could have corralled that puck and went in for an uncontested break away. Orpik would have been remiss in his responsibility to not lambaste Ericksson and make *sure* he is separated from the puck.

@Polaris922

I'd like to see the view that Blysma saw.  I'm not even sold that it was a clean hit, as I see the head contact that Ruxpin has mentioned.  Personally I dislike these type of hits a player should be able to look towards making a completed pass without being put into a compromising position for a potential shot to the head.  I think I'm fairly consistent in defending the player with the concussion.

I'd like to change the direction here, from the multiple threads we have going in regards to the orpik hit, no one is going to change their mind.

I mentioned this to HF earlier in this thread.  Watch the video of the of the beginning of the game with the Orpik hit, and watch what follows.   As the play continued, Chara takes a run at Dupuis from what the NHL considers the blind side just before the whistle.  Dupuis release the puck to Crosby and Chara comes from the blind side and looks like he attempts to hit Dupuis high.  Looks like Dupuis sees him at the last moment, and just misses getting crushed. To me, this looks like he's going for the Cooke fly by hit on Savard but just misses.   Any comments?

I'd like to change the direction here, from the multiple threads we have going in regards to the orpik hit, no one is going to change their mind.

I mentioned this to HF earlier in this thread.  Watch the video of the of the beginning of the game with the Orpik hit, and watch what follows.   As the play continued, Chara takes a run at Dupuis from what the NHL considers the blind side just before the whistle.  Dupuis release the puck to Crosby and Chara comes from the blind side and looks like he attempts to hit Dupuis high.  Looks like Dupuis sees him at the last moment, and just misses getting crushed. To me, this looks like he's going for the Cooke fly by hit on Savard but just misses.   Any comments?

@nossagog,

If Dupuis saw Chara, it isn't a blindside hit.  If Dupuis avoided the hit, then there is nothing there.

Two things stand out to me here:

The first thing is that the Orpik incident happens every game at one point or another. Watch any game and any scrum within that game and you're sure to see at least one player who will be down on the ice while getting pummeled by an opposing player. This incident obviously ended horribly, but it happens all the time. Maybe there should be an automatic penalty for knocking a player to the ice during a scrum where one player is not actively involved.

The next thing is that the "Code" for fighters in this league is absolute malarkey. Listening to Jack Edwards and Andy Brickley on NESN's coverage of the game made me physically sick to my stomach. Brickley said that if Orpik were to "man up" and fight Thornton earlier, he would not have been taken off the ice on a stretcher. I'm really getting tired of players being forced to defend themselves after they throw clean hits. The bottom line is that there are no proper ways to police the game anymore. As far as I'm concerned, the Bruins are one of the only teams left in the league who feel that it is necessary to fight every time something doesn't go their way like a child throwing a temper tantrum. The Bruins think they play with different rules than the rest of the league. Thornton is a goon who has truly done his job well over the years by not getting suspended; however, that ends now. Easy 7 game suspension. Maybe Boston will learn from this and stop trying to enforce their own rules.

Watch the replay, he didn't avoid the hit, just was able to get up afterwards.

@nossagog,

For the hit to fall in the blindside category, it has to be a *pick the head* kind of hit.  That didn't happen because Dupuis saw the hit coming and was able to avoid the *pick the head* hit.  I didn't mean he didn't get hit at all.