The real villian- Brooks Orpik

yave1964

First I wish him all the best. He has always been a favorite of mine and Brooks Orpik usually plays the game right.

Orpik destroyed Loui Eriksson on a hard shot, shoulder to head, no penalty called. Borderline hit, at best.

Thornton attempted to get retribution for a teammate, had Orpik all alone against the boards, pushing shoving letting him know he was ready to go. Orpik cowarded out, refused the invitation skated away as fast as his yellow little legs would carry him drawing a penalty from the enraged Thornton. I wouldn't have wanted to fight an enraged Thornton either, but then again I wouldn't have run Eriksson.

What Thornton did after to Orpik was a fluky thing, how many times have we seen pretty much the exact same thing in a scrum where a player gets pulled over backwards and jumps back up a split second later.

Thornton deserves a suspension. Orpik deserves to be derided, his cheap hit on Eriksson and then running from Thornton were the events that led to all subsequent events. Orpik played a coward game, and while I will not go so far as to say he deserves what happened he caused it. Again not excusing Thornton. Not excusing Neal.

Brooks Orpik was the cause/effect of the situation last night.

• Like 1

@yave1964,

Not sure I agree with everything you're saying. I think the hit on Eriksson would have been legal if he had the puck. I've only seen 1 angle, but it looks like Orpik hit him squarely and did not "pick" the head. IMO, it should have been an interference penalty.

I understand where you are coming from, but the fact is if Orpik had 'shown up' as they refer to it in the NHL against Thornton the situation would have defused then and all of the other nonsense would have never happened.

• Like 1

First I wish him all the best. He has always been a favorite of mine and Brooks Orpik usually plays the game right.

Orpik destroyed Loui Eriksson on a hard shot, shoulder to head, no penalty called. Borderline hit, at best.

Thornton attempted to get retribution for a teammate, had Orpik all alone against the boards, pushing shoving letting him know he was ready to go. Orpik cowarded out, refused the invitation skated away as fast as his yellow little legs would carry him drawing a penalty from the enraged Thornton. I wouldn't have wanted to fight an enraged Thornton either, but then again I wouldn't have run Eriksson.

What Thornton did after to Orpik was a fluky thing, how many times have we seen pretty much the exact same thing in a scrum where a player gets pulled over backwards and jumps back up a split second later.

Thornton deserves a suspension. Orpik deserves to be derided, his cheap hit on Eriksson and then running from Thornton were the events that led to all subsequent events. Orpik played a coward game, and while I will not go so far as to say he deserves what happened he caused it. Again not excusing Thornton. Not excusing Neal.

Brooks Orpik was the cause/effect of the situation last night.

That post is utter BS.  Sorry for the "b-b-b-b-b the Red Wings" but you've defended worse by Kronwall.

Slow play the clip through the :50 - :52. At no time does Orpik contact the head. None. Christ, even Jack Edwards didn't seem to take issue with the hit.  The hit itself was clean.  MAYBE interference as Ericksson hadn't played the puck (though you can see it just to his left in the clip). 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvteW6mvasA

So then why should Orpik have to go with Thornton for a clean hit? Granted, Thortnon doesn't have the benefit of replay....but I don't care. Suck it up, catch the highlights and if it was dirty, get Brooks the next game. This is a perfect example of why the players CANNOT and SHOULD NOT be allowed to police themselves.

Thornton should get at least 10. Period.

Orpik did absolutely nothing wrong.

Except for interfering with an unsuspecting player a deliberate hit before he had the puck, that resulted in a concussion.

If the refs called at least a minor penalty for interference tempers would probably kept in check.  

But then the refs don't like to call the proper penalties against the penguins.....   ;)  :ph34r:  ----  Granted if it was Rinaldo were delivering that hit as Orpik made.... Rinaldo would have been ejected for a head shot.

• Like 1

:ph34r: 

Except for interfering with an unsuspecting player a deliberate hit before he had the puck, that resulted in a concussion.

If the refs called at least a minor penalty for interference tempers would probably kept in check.  

But then the refs don't like to call the proper penalties against the penguins.....   ;)  :ph34r:  ----  Granted if it was Rinaldo were delivering that hit as Orpik made.... Rinaldo would have been ejected for a head shot.

So a player turning up ice while attempting to corral a pass should not be expecting a hit? This is hockey, right?  If I had a nickel for every time the "put himself in a vulnerable position" defense was used when a Flyer delivered a questionable hit I'd be a rich man. Not that I want to go "b-b-b-b-b-but the Flyers" in this thread but you brought it up. ;)

Clean hit. Borderline interference.

At some point, you guys will have to get over the "poor Zack Rinaldo" bit - especially considering yesterday's antics.  Even I've given the guy the benefit of doubt before.

Not anymore. I know how Flyer fans feel when one of their own gets punched while he is down. Now one of your own did it. Can't wait to see that thread up. ;)

That post is utter BS.  Sorry for the "b-b-b-b-b the Red Wings" but you've defended worse by Kronwall.

Slow play the clip through the :50 - :52. At no time does Orpik contact the head. None. Christ, even Jack Edwards didn't seem to take issue with the hit.  The hit itself was clean.  MAYBE interference as Ericksson hadn't played the puck (though you can see it just to his left in the clip). 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvteW6mvasA

So then why should Orpik have to go with Thornton for a clean hit? Granted, Thortnon doesn't have the benefit of replay....but I don't care. Suck it up, catch the highlights and if it was dirty, get Brooks the next game. This is a perfect example of why the players CANNOT and SHOULD NOT be allowed to police themselves.

Thornton should get at least 10. Period.

I am a Kronwall defender and you and I both know he hits and then does not stand up for himself.

This was an interference penalty at the least. The Refs blew it.

It was against a player coming back from a concussion and further injured him. Eriksson had no clue who or where he was on the bench.

Orpik was invited to pay for his sins as per the unwritten rules of the game, instead he ran drawing a minor penalty on Thornton.

When the play was later whistled down for a cheap hit by Neal, Orpik should have absolutely known he was wearing a target. He went into a group of players milling about, looking for safety in numbers standing by the ref.

Thornton was wrong as he could be and deserves his suspension according to the letter of the law. I think a few games off is fair and equitable.

Orpik has now earned his reputation as a Matt Cooke type, dishes it out runs when called on it by the other team. The refs and Orpik had a chance to put an end to this earlier, both are to blame to an equal amount as Thornton. If Orpik had fought Thornton it was all over. Instead it built and built and didn't end until someone left the ice one a stretcher. I stick to the fact, Orpik started it and his cowardice allowed it to build and finally simmer over.

@B21

Pick: A “pick” is the action of a player or goalkeeper who checks an opponent who is not in possession of the puck and is unaware of the impending check/hit. A player who is aware of an impending hit, not deemed to be a legal “battle for the puck,” may not be interfered with by a player delivering a “pick.” A player delivering a “pick” is one who moves into an opponent’s path without initially having body position, thereby taking him out of the play. When this is done, an interference penalty shall be assessed.

56.2 Minor Penalty - A minor penalty shall be imposed on a player who interferes with or impedes the progress of an opponent who is not in possession of the puck.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26348

It should have been an interference penalty. I don't see where the puck was ever touched. I certainly don't think it was a dirty hit. Borderline penalty--yes. Dirty, as I define a dirty hit-no.

I have a REALLY hard time blaming Orpim for what happened afterwards. The guy was slew footed while engaged by another player, in a post whistle scrum. He was then sucker punched while flat on his back. All because he didn't follow the code and fight after hitting a player. That's bullshit. Thornton had 2 periods to get back at Orpik. No call for what he did. Look at Thornton's post game interview. That's ALL I need to see/hear about the play. The offending player was almost in tears-that should answer any questions about if it was a legit hockey play/justifiable reaction.

He should get 10 games-minimum.

• Like 1

At some point, you guys will have to get over the "poor Zack Rinaldo" bit - especially considering yesterday's antics.  Even I've given the guy the benefit of doubt before.

Not anymore. I know how Flyer fans feel when one of their own gets punched while he is down. Now one of your own did it. Can't wait to see that thread up.

Rinaldo got what he deserved yesterday.  Hope Berube benches him a game.  We discussed it in the chat room and I think you can see my comments in the shoutbox.

@DaGreatGazoo

Agree Thornton is going to deserve what he gets. Disagree about Orpik.

I love big rugged d-men, they are always a favorite of mine, Shea Weber is my favorite player in the game today and has been for years. Everyone knows my man crush on Kronwall, my wife says if they made a perfume named 'Kronner' we would have three or four more kids.

Orpik was a solid rep for hard but clean play, but last nights hit on Eriksson was over the top, at least interference and possibly more. Eriksson has just come back from a concussion and had no clue who or where he was on the bench. You could see the fire in his mates eyes as Eriksson was led down the tunnel.

Thornton went after Orpik who refused to fight. I think he took a bad situation and made it worse as did the refs.

Yeah - it's only about 2' from his stick when Orpik makes the hit.

The nerve of him!

Not really sure why you are being such a hardass here. The hit was pretty clear interference. It wasn't called. With the bullshit penalties we've all see called in today's NHL, I'm pretty surprised they let it go.

Kid should have kept his head up. No argument there. At all. But you're coming off as a complete homer by your argument.

And since you brought Rinaldo up-even thought this isn't a Flyers thread. His play yesterday was moronic. If he gets suspended he deserves it. If for no other reason than for being a dumbass.

• Like 1

@yave1964

<< This was an interference penalty at the least. The Refs blew it.

It was against a player coming back from a concussion and further injured him. Eriksson had no clue who or where he was on the bench.

Orpik was invited to pay for his sins as per the unwritten rules of the game, instead he ran drawing a minor penalty on Thornton. >>

What sin?  Since when do players have to answer for the refs missing questionable interference calls? This hit itself was legal.  The interference was questionable. If players were meant to "answer" everytime that happened we'd have 60 minutes of fighting.

<< When the play was later whistled down for a cheap hit by Neal, Orpik should have absolutely known he was wearing a target. He went into a group of players milling about, looking for safety in numbers standing by the ref. >>

Man - you are killing some well established credibility with that one. Letang and a Bruin are "talking" with one official between them. Orpik and the official are keeping them separated (in the defensive zone where Orpik usually...you know...is). Then another official skates in...then Thornton comes in from behind Orpik, pulls him down and starts wailing.

I guess that qualifies as seeking safety among officials.

<< Thornton was wrong as he could be and deserves his suspension according to the letter of the law. I think a few games off is fair and equitable. >>

No - ten games is fair and equitable. Minimum. That was assault. From behind. Orpik never had a chance. Period. Take off the goggles for a minute.

<< Orpik has now earned his reputation as a Matt Cooke type, dishes it out runs when called on it by the other team. The refs and Orpik had a chance to put an end to this earlier, both are to blame to an equal amount as Thornton. If Orpik had fought Thornton it was all over. Instead it built and built and didn't end until someone left the ice one a stretcher. I stick to the fact, Orpik started it and his cowardice allowed it to build and finally simmer over. >>

So Brooks Orpik, who hasn't been suspended since 2006 (and once before in 2003) is now = Matt Cooke? There goes the rest of the credibility.  Orpik didn't start anything. He delivered a clean hit. Period. Again - maybe borderline interference. At most.  He has no obligation at all to drop with Thornton. 

Let me know when you are ready to call Thornton jumping a guy from behind "cowardice" - that was the only cowardice in this game.

@B21

Pick: A “pick” is the action of a player or goalkeeper who checks an opponent who is not in possession of the puck and is unaware of the impending check/hit. A player who is aware of an impending hit, not deemed to be a legal “battle for the puck,” may not be interfered with by a player delivering a “pick.” A player delivering a “pick” is one who moves into an opponent’s path without initially having body position, thereby taking him out of the play. When this is done, an interference penalty shall be assessed.

56.2 Minor Penalty - A minor penalty shall be imposed on a player who interferes with or impedes the progress of an opponent who is not in possession of the puck.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26348

Damn - silly me. I guess Orpik should have answered for the refs missing that borderline call.

@B21

Thornton will be suspended and deserves it. I agree that he has earned what he has coming.  I just cannot for the life of me see how Orpik can hold his head up in the locker room with his teammates knowing he ran from Thornton like a little girl and then at a stop in play stood in a bunch of players two feet from the ref. Gutless. Thornton deserves his rep from last nights game. So does Orpik.

@B21

Thornton will be suspended and deserves it. I agree that he has earned what he has coming.  I just cannot for the life of me see how Orpik can hold his head up in the locker room with his teammates knowing he ran from Thornton like a little girl and then at a stop in play stood in a bunch of players two feet from the ref. Gutless. Thornton deserves his rep from last nights game. So does Orpik.

3 players. 1 ref.  But whatever.  Not like that is something that happens every game.

Your backtracking now. Just went from a "few games" to deserves whatever he gets.

Gutless is attacking a guy from behind...like Thornton did. Gutless is not refusing to fight a guy because he thinks your clean hit was dirty.

I'm thinking Orpik's rep as a clean but hard hitting player emerges in tact after all is said and done.

The only little girl in this was Thornton.

Rinaldo got what he deserved yesterday.  Hope Berube benches him a game.  We discussed it in the chat room and I think you can see my comments in the shoutbox.

I guess that's something.  You have to admit though...all the incidents yesterday and the only one that gets a dedicated thread (by a Flyers fan) is the Neal knee? Hmmm...

Not much difference between Thornton and Rinaldo yesterday. I would think they both get about the same.

Not really sure why you are being such a hardass here. The hit was pretty clear interference. It wasn't called. With the bullshit penalties we've all see called in today's NHL, I'm pretty surprised they let it go.

Kid should have kept his head up. No argument there. At all. But you're coming off as a complete homer by your argument.

And since you brought Rinaldo up-even thought this isn't a Flyers thread. His play yesterday was moronic. If he gets suspended he deserves it. If for no other reason than for being a dumbass.

C'mon Gazoo. I've seen many occasions when interference is not called when the puck is at least in the vicinity. If there is not big hit, we aren't even talking about this. The "missed" interference has nothing to do with this. It's about the hit...clean or not...and everything that happened after it. 

Look at the thread title, too.  Brooks Orpik the real villain? Gimma a break.

That is going to piss off Pens fans and I am going to respond accordingly.

I guess that's something.  You have to admit though...all the incidents yesterday and the only one that gets a dedicated thread (by a Flyers fan) is the Neal knee? Hmmm...

Not much difference between Thornton and Rinaldo yesterday. I would think they both get about the same.

There is a difference. Rinaldo's stupid play took place while the game was in in progress, it wasn't to an unsuspecting player as Orpik was when Thornton jumped him.

Not sure why no one made a thread, other than there wasn't much to discuss. Rinaldo got what he deserved.  Some of us online at the time discussed it in the shoutbox. and in the game chat.  

@B21

Not backtracking at all, I really think Thornton deserves and will get two to four games. He deserves it, that is all he should get and likely will get.

We shall see.

Anything less than 10 would be unfair.  Anything less than 5 would be a travesty.

@B21

Not backtracking at all, I really think Thornton deserves and will get two to four games. He deserves it, that is all he should get and likely will get.

Ah no Thornton will get more than 6 games.  Book it!