Nick Bjugstad rocks

yave1964

If you ever get the chance to (or are court ordered to) watch a Florida Panthers game, pay attention to Nick Bjugstad. I know they have solid prospects in Barkov and Huberdeau who are skilled fast players and the media darling Tim Thomas drawing the few writers who cover the Cats over towards his locker, Bjugstad is easy to lose in the shuffle. Don't make the same mistake.

I get a lot of opportunity to watch a fair amount of college hockey, and Bjugstad has been on my radar for awhile now for his brilliant play while playing for The University of Minnesota, helping them to a college championship in 2012. The big guy is 6 feet 6 and knows how to use his size, and he has developed nicely this year, using his size to outmuscle smaller defensemen to the net he has 8 goals this year, but 4 in the past 8 games as his confidence has grown. He has gotten the biggest boost out of the trade of Versteeg, it has opened up playing time for him that he has taken advantage of. When we played the Panthers December 10th Bjugstad stole the puck from Datsyuk in the corner and muscled his way to a pretty goal from five feet in front of the net in spite of having to outhustle both Pavel and Kronner. The kid has intensity and skill and is built like  a mountain. It may be a year or two but don't be surprised to see him make an all star team during his career.

I believe he has a nice long career ahead with a chance to be truly special.

• 10 months later...

@yave1964   He's gotten off to a bad start, along with the rest of the Panthers.....BUT the 38 pts in 76 games last year in his first full year tell me the pts will come eventually. Great hands and wheels for a big man. I agree, he's got a great future ahead of him.

@jammer2@Podein25

Bjugstad is going to get there, according to the coach he has hit a half a dozen posts so far, but has been working his tail off. 20 goals by the end of the year. Chalk it up.

As for Barkov and Huberdeau, no idea what to say about the two of them. These three should be good for 50-60 points, no reason for the lack of production. I would take all three of them any day of the week.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived