Can the chief coach D

colorado_al

I know he talks a good game and don't get me wrong.... I'm a chief fan.  but sometimes I wonder what he's doing to try to improve the D.  He can't be happy with the way they're playing right now... if we didn't have a goalie that is standing on his head to stop the puck, we'd be in very serious shape.

An even more serious question..... I hope he's not coaching the D to play the way they are.

Sigh, he can't do much if guys don't perform. He's benching and scratching guys for poor play, but you still have to ice six. Systematically, it probably needs a lot more time, but otherwise, I'd say he can coach D. Read the recent quotes surrounding his opinions of Meszaros and earlier Schenn. Some serious blame goes to Lavy here for running a piss poor ship.

I know he talks a good game and don't get me wrong.... I'm a chief fan.  but sometimes I wonder what he's doing to try to improve the D.  He can't be happy with the way they're playing right now... if we didn't have a goalie that is standing on his head to stop the puck, we'd be in very serious shape.

An even more serious question..... I hope he's not coaching the D to play the way they are.

the players he has to work with are terrible.

l schenn, meszaros would be healthy scratches on most teams. i cringe when i see them out there.

streit is overrated. another bad signing by Gomer.

coburn, wildly inconsistent.

that leaves timo, who is showing is age, and grossmann. 

can you say that we have a good d-corps? heck, can you say that the corps is close to average?

I agree with Caluso, our defense is mediocre. We have been very lucky this year with Mason bailing out the D and not having any long term injuries on defense. Our defense is not that skilled in the shooting. passing, playmaking areas and if Streit or Timmo got hurt we would really be in trouble. As I have said 1000 times, we cant expect two fragile, diminishing old coots like Timmo and Streit to be our only offensive threats on the blue line. Streit is not that good to begin with and will only get worse over the next few years. Timmo is supposed to retire and his play is diminishing, can either of these two hold up over an entire season and a long physical playoff run . Remember how the Bruins punished Timmo a few years ago.

Grossman and Coburn are solid dmen and not suited as first pairing guys. Schenn was raved about last year, unless it was pure bluster from management to justify the JVR trade, but this year he is pretty bad. I say give him one more year nest season. Mez is damaged goods and playing tentative, due to his fear of being injured again. Gus has been hurt every year and is still a big question mark, but he certainly is not a top 4 guy. 

The guys we have in  the AHL are all  stay at home guys without any offensive skills, so a guy like Lauredsson can replace Mez, since Mez has done nothing offensively anyway, or do we re-sign Mez and hope he comes around? When Timmo is gone, then we really have a huge hole , and absolutely no one to replace him. So unless we expect to be mediocre for a few more years waiting for Ghost, Morin, and Haag, then a trade will have to be made to acquire an offensive dman. Even if our young skilled dmen somehow make the team next year, we cant expect a 19-20 yr old to step in and take over as the go to guy for offense on the blueline.

The group of UFA defensemen available this summer are all old and not worth wasting any more big $ on, especially since were stuck with Streit already. Pikanen is the youngest and can move the puck, but he had a severe foot injury. We may really have to trey and re-sign Mez to a two year deal at a reasonable rate, just to have some depth, and hope his offensive skills return. Lets face it, a lack of defensive depth has been our downfall over the last number of years and with Timmo retiring, signing Mez may not be as far fetched as we would think

Yea, I guess you are all right.... he only has so much to work with... it just seems sometimes with as little as 5 percent more effort, they could be so much better.

I can't wait to see Morin come up and play some.... I have high hopes.

Will be at the Colorado game tomorrow night... hope to see a bunch of orange there ( as we always do ).

Go Flyers!

@colorado_al

My guess is Morin is still another year of junior then 2 or more years of AHL away from making the Flyers. He's a work in progress that's going to take a lot of patience.

Patience and the Flyers don't belong in the same sentence. Consider him traded next year.

• Like 1