The Colorado Game

colorado_al

Well,,, just back to the hotel in Denver after the game.  A few items for conversation.

Number 1... the Flyer fan turn out was out of sight.... even more there this year than in the past....  REALLY nice to see.  Already can't wait for next year.

As for the game... the flyers looked like they've been on the road with little rest.... it showed on both the O side and D....but more on the D.  I guess you all watched but two of their goals from what I could tell were the direct result of the D not picking up the trailers on the rush.... In some respects you maybe could say it was because they were tired...but I've seen the same thing when that wasn't the case.

Another item of interest...

We happened to be on Row one of the upper deck and with about 5 mins left, some ave fan actually attempted to toss one of my sons over the rail.... not a good thing as the son in question is 28 and a black belt.... sitting next to him was my other son (23) and then myself.  I'm not going to go into detail in public but let it be said the flyer fans represented themselves well <g>.

When I was in Philly I never witnessed anything this bad and the Philly fans have the bad rep.... too bad.

For the most part I always thought the CO fans were well mannered to visiting team fans... well tonight was the exception... at least for us.

When I was in Philly I never witnessed anything this bad and the Philly fans have the bad rep.... too bad.

For the most part I always thought the CO fans were well mannered to visiting team fans... well tonight was the exception... at least for us.

I've witnessed Flyer fans take on other Flyer fans for being jackholes to visiting fans. No excuse for that behavior.

I think your assessment of the impact of the road trip is pretty much spot on. They spent a lot of energy fighting back in the early games. Let's hope they have more in the tank for Glendale (er, um, "Phoenix").

Agree... I'm sure our "Let's go Flyers" chant through a lot of the game was getting to him but no excuse for the physical stuff.... with luck he learned a lesson, but I would have rather not had the incident at all.   Too bad there's not a way to put all the fans in separate sections  :)

As for what's left in the tank... I hope so.  One could tell they were on the negative side of the energy curve right after the first puck drop.

Have a question for the  group.... 

Who controls the TV breaks.... i.e. when they happen.  I never noticed this before but watching the game live... it seemed that whenever the flyers seemed to be getting some momentum... a TV break popped up.  Maybe that was just the luck of the draw but it sure seemed that way.  

One of the nice thing about center ice and a dvr... you can spin through the breaks <g>.

Have a question for the  group.... 

Who controls the TV breaks.... i.e. when they happen.  I never noticed this before but watching the game live... it seemed that whenever the flyers seemed to be getting some momentum... a TV break popped up.  Maybe that was just the luck of the draw but it sure seemed that way.  

One of the nice thing about center ice and a dvr... you can spin through the breaks <g>.

They are set by the league. At least it used to be that way when I worked with the Senators. 

I worked there in the early 2000s and it changed a few times while I was there. They used to be 60 second timeouts, then up to 70, then finally 100 second timeouts by the time I left. If you're facing someone like Crosby, it's a big deal to give him twice the amount of rest as before. 

Anyway, IIRC, the broadcast went to TV timeout at the first whistle inside of 15:00, 10:00 and 5:00 in each period (so 3 per period at minimum). There were exceptions... like if they were in TV timeout territory (i.e. less than 15:00 in the period but more than 10:00) when the next whistle happens, but there's a delayed penalty coming up, then they would skip the timeout until later. 

Bottom line, though, they are set league-wide.

Greetings All:

I am saddened any fan would go after another physically. I used to see that sh....t as a student at FSU when Miami or Florida came to visit and it was way out of line.

Coots' turnover on the first goal was out-of character but Mason made initial stops. The second goal was one of Mason's weaker allowed. Varlamov was spectacular.  

Peace,

Howie

I was at a game once and my boyfriend went to the men's room and told me this story......

There was a Flyers fan peeing and a fan from the other team (I think it was the Rangers) standing behind him in his offending jersey....the guy just turned around and started peeing on him.  I was shocked!!!  I think it sucks that you would treat another human being that way.....even if he is a Rangers fan.....

Some fun ribbing, some minor trash talk is fine, but that.....well......

I was at a game once and my boyfriend went to the men's room and told me this story......

There was a Flyers fan peeing and a fan from the other team (I think it was the Rangers) standing behind him in his offending jersey....the guy just turned around and started peeing on him.  I was shocked!!!  I think it sucks that you would treat another human being that way.....even if he is a Rangers fan.....

Some fun ribbing, some minor trash talk is fine, but that.....well......

in this particular case, i'm of the opinion that the ranger's fan had what was coming to him. if you are going to start **** with anyone,  then you should accept the possibility that there will be consequences of that ****. it was non-violent, so i actually think it was quite clever of the offender. 

@Bakanekimiwa

The funny thing is....he wasn't starting any ****.  He was just standing there waiting for his turn at the urinal not saying a word to anyone. 

I guess you could call it clever and maybe if the guy was starting something my opinion would've been different, but since the guy was just standing there well I have to disagree.  I think it is things like this that give us the bad rap. 

Once leaving a game with a bunch of friends some Devils fans (who we lost to) started some stuff in the parking lot.  The friends went back at them and some pushing and shoving ensued.  The Devils fan thought better of it and left, it was still quite crowded and I'm sure a lot of Flyers fans would've jumped in if it came to blows.  That I can live with....

@Bakanekimiwa

The funny thing is....he wasn't starting any ****.  He was just standing there waiting for his turn at the urinal not saying a word to anyone. 

I guess you could call it clever and maybe if the guy was starting something my opinion would've been different, but since the guy was just standing there well I have to disagree.  I think it is things like this that give us the bad rap. 

Once leaving a game with a bunch of friends some Devils fans (who we lost to) started some stuff in the parking lot.  The friends went back at them and some pushing and shoving ensued.  The Devils fan thought better of it and left, it was still quite crowded and I'm sure a lot of Flyers fans would've jumped in if it came to blows.  That I can live with....

ohh.. then i misunderstood you. i thought you were saying that the rangers fan was giving crap to the guy pissing. and the guy pissing peed on him. if he just peed on a random rangers fan.. then totally not cool.