Should the Wild deal for Vanek now or wait until the summer?

yave1964

The Minnesota Wild are currently sitting on the inside for the playoffs in the western conference, but will have the tough task of playing the Hawks, or Ducks in the first round. If they get lucky and move up a bit they might draw the Blues.

As currently put together nobody outside of the land of one thousand frozen lakes can possibly think the club has a serious chance of making it out of the first round. They are cannon fodder, pure and simple, a warm up for the Ducks before they move onto the second round, nothing more.

I have read where folks are saying the Wild should not make a move for Vanek, they should hold off until summer and sign him without giving up any player in return. I see the point for that, it is like paying for the milk when if you wait until July you can have it for free.

I disagree. Completely feel this is the wrong attitude.

My feeling on the subject plain and simple is there are a finite number of seasons when a club can truly be considered a contender and the addition of Vanek this year for a package of prospects and a pick would not necessarily get them into the big boy category it might make it where they at least have a shot.  Plus trading for Vanek gives them a four month headstart in getting him signed before the free agent frenzy kicks in, showing Vanek that the Wild are serious about making him a cornerstone of the franchise.

With him on board, veteran forwards Vanek, Parise, Koivu and Pomminvile can stack up with most anyones best, and a decent (if somewhat overrated) bunch of prospects pushing for ice time doesn't hurt either.

To get him, I believe the Wild would have to part with either Granlund or Coyle and a pick, possible a Brodin or Dumba as well. It would be a tough pill to swallow but if it makes you a contender now my opinion is it is worth it.

I guess you have to weigh in whether it's worth the loss of whatever picks/prospects you deal for whatever playoff success you're going to have. Like you said, yave, it's a tough road to hoe in that west. And they're going to get him anyway.

• Like 1

The Minnesota Wild are currently sitting on the inside for the playoffs in the western conference, but will have the tough task of playing the Hawks, or Ducks in the first round. If they get lucky and move up a bit they might draw the Blues.

As currently put together nobody outside of the land of one thousand frozen lakes can possibly think the club has a serious chance of making it out of the first round. They are cannon fodder, pure and simple, a warm up for the Ducks before they move onto the second round, nothing more.

I have read where folks are saying the Wild should not make a move for Vanek, they should hold off until summer and sign him without giving up any player in return. I see the point for that, it is like paying for the milk when if you wait until July you can have it for free.

I disagree. Completely feel this is the wrong attitude.

My feeling on the subject plain and simple is there are a finite number of seasons when a club can truly be considered a contender and the addition of Vanek this year for a package of prospects and a pick would not necessarily get them into the big boy category it might make it where they at least have a shot.  Plus trading for Vanek gives them a four month headstart in getting him signed before the free agent frenzy kicks in, showing Vanek that the Wild are serious about making him a cornerstone of the franchise.

With him on board, veteran forwards Vanek, Parise, Koivu and Pomminvile can stack up with most anyones best, and a decent (if somewhat overrated) bunch of prospects pushing for ice time doesn't hurt either.

To get him, I believe the Wild would have to part with either Granlund or Coyle and a pick, possible a Brodin or Dumba as well. It would be a tough pill to swallow but if it makes you a contender now my opinion is it is worth it.

Does Vanek really put the Wild into the "contender" talk this year?

The Wild's bigger problem is between the pipes and, IMO, defense if we're talking about "contending" for the Cup.

Why is Vanek so hot and bothered to go to Minnesota anyway?

Does Vanek really put the Wild into the "contender" talk this year?

The Wild's bigger problem is between the pipes and, IMO, defense if we're talking about "contending" for the Cup.

Why is Vanek so hot and bothered to go to Minnesota anyway?

Vanek went to college there and Pominville is one of his best friends from their days in Buffalo together.

I agree with you that between the pipes is a huge problem for the Wild, especially with the sad story of Josh Harding who deserves to win the Masterton every year just for showing up. And poor Suter averaging near 30 minutes a night has to be dragging. The best thing for him would have been to take the Olympic break off to recoup and recover.

As to your question, does Vanek make the club a contender now, he makes them a better team with a better chance against the big boys and helps cover holes in the back end by helping carry play into the offensive zone and making clubs respect them more. with him on board they have a better chance although i agree it still leaves them short of the big boy category but does draw them closer.

Vanek went to college there and Pominville is one of his best friends from their days in Buffalo together.

I agree with you that between the pipes is a huge problem for the Wild, especially with the sad story of Josh Harding who deserves to win the Masterton every year just for showing up. And poor Suter averaging near 30 minutes a night has to be dragging. The best thing for him would have been to take the Olympic break off to recoup and recover.

As to your question, does Vanek make the club a contender now, he makes them a better team with a better chance against the big boys and helps cover holes in the back end by helping carry play into the offensive zone and making clubs respect them more. with him on board they have a better chance although i agree it still leaves them short of the big boy category but does draw them closer.

I guess that's where I come in on it - why give up significant assets that the Islanders will be wanting from their potential nemesis without making the next step? All the guys you listed are under contract for at least the next five years, too.

Unless I can pry Vanek out of Uniondale for a song, I would wait until I can get him for nothing.

I guess that's where I come in on it - why give up significant assets that the Islanders will be wanting from their potential nemesis without making the next step? All the guys you listed are under contract for at least the next five years, too.

Unless I can pry Vanek out of Uniondale for a song, I would wait until I can get him for nothing.

And i agree. Garth Snow will be lucky if all that happens is getting fired and not drawn and quartered.

That said to me each season is precious, if you can go for it you have to IMHO. If they can add Vanek now without giving up the farm to me they have to do it.

If Vanek *really* wants to be a Wild player, like we have all read, why not just let him be a rental player for somebody else and scoop him up for free during free agency? If they think they are close to contending for the cup, I'd part with Dumba and a 2nd, if that does not get the deal done, just wait till summer. Dumba looked horrible during the World Juniors, it was hard to believe he was actually coming from the NHL, he actually looked out of place....and guys coming from the pros historically dominate and look like men among boys. If he was not injured or sick, I'd look at parting with him, he's a big ticket name and I honestly don't know how much upside he will have. Amazing how great Trouba looks compared to how very average Dumba looks, both the same age and all.