Winners and losers from the deadline deals

yave1964

Here is my list of winners and losers from the trade deadline:

WINNERS

WILD: Moulson plus a serviceable fourth liner in McCormick for a couple of picks, and Bryz, while subject to well deserved ridicule still came cheap.

CANADIENS: Vanek for essentially nothing. He is exactly what they needed as if brought aboard by central casting.

PREDATORS: Traded a player they were not resigning anyway (Legwand) and acquired a solid prospect in Calle Jarmkrok who is ready to cut his teeth right now.

BLUES added Miller and Ott. Nobody in the West improved as much as they did.

WINGS: Both teams won in this deal. The Wings are decimated at center to injuries and home town boy Legwand is having a solid year. Will fit right in.

CAPITALS:  Cleared disgruntled Erat and Neuvirth off the roster, added steady veteran Halak in net as well as Dustin Penner and grade B prospect Chris Brown. Possibly the biggest winner of the deadline.

SABRES: Added more picks and Nuevirth in net. Not the return they were hoping for but stayed the course of the rebuild.

PANTHERS: Luongo warts and all is a huge upgrade in net without really giving up much and the Canucks paid for most of it.

RANGERS St. Louis is a great fit, played before with Richards, those two along with Nash are a deadly line come playoff time.

LIGHTNING Yzerman in an impossible position, a face of the franchise demanding a trade and only giving them one team he is willing to be dealt to. Callahan and two picks is a good return.

OKAY, HERE ARE THE TEAMS I FELT LOST THE DEADLINE

CANUCKS  Has to start here, shocked everyone dealing Luongo and getting not much for him, then couldn't find a suitor for Kessler. This is a franchise in trouble

DUCKS  Traded Penner, all signs pointed towards nabbing Vanek or Moulson and wound up with neither. Only real addition was Robidas.

MAPLE LEAFS For some reason they held pat. They have a ton of young middling prospects they could have dealt for a blue liner but they held pat.

SENATORS   Lost Conacher to the Sabres on waivers replaced him with the underachieving Hemsky but did not add the desperately needed d-man.

ISLANDERS Rivalry between them and the Canucks for the biggest loser, traded shot blocking king Macdonald for picks and then essentially gave up Vanek for next to nothing. Hard to believe this was the best they could do for a return.

JURY IS STILL OUT

FLYERS: If Macdonald resigns it is a win. The shot blocking king can run the second power play and helps the club but he wants 5 million a year.

BRUINS Added two d-men (Corey Potter and Mez) to finally replace Seidenberg. If they mesh well it could be a good day for the Bruins

KINGS: Gaborik might find the fountain of youth, if not giving up Frattin and picks might be a bit high.

JACKETS: Gave up Gaborik but added character players Frattin and Dana Tyrell from the lightning. They need the kids to keep stepping up, the bottom two lines are better.

PENGUINS Stempniak is a solid second or third liner, he is not Dupuis but if he can find his touch he might be a steal. Bit of a stretch though.

That is about it, what do you think?

@yave1964

I count the Flyers as winners...we didn't trade the future away.

Penner- I think I heard his name once last night all game.

Habs stole Vanek. Rangers overpaid for St. Lou.

And yes, that sound you hear is the window of opportunity closing on the Nucks.

@flyercanuck

IF the Flyers resign MacDonald I would have to agree. If not the loss of picks and Mez oving on creates a hole that would need filled in the offseason. So IMHO it creates question marks, though I do love MacDonald.

Penner is an upgrade over Erat, Halak an upgrade over Neuvirth so I stand by them as upgraded and Chris Brown is a decent prospect.

Rangers overpaid for St. Louis absolutely but he is what the team needed. They gave every opportunity to Callahan to resign, they were losing him anyway and made a sound decision. I still believe it is a good deal for both teams.

@yave1964

I have full confidence (for lack of a better word) that Holmgren has already spent most of Timonens $6 million on re-signing MacDonald. At least in his head. Mez was already a hole.

Erat gone is an upgrade on Erat. As for Penner...When the top team in the league trades you for a 4th round pick, you have issues.

I thought Callahan and a 2nd would be fair for St.Louis, considering the Rangers were THE ONLY trade partner out there for a guy who demanded a trade.

Why don't I take Marian Gaborik seriously? The guy will finish his career between 400-500 goals, but I can't help and shake this feeling he should be better? Is it because he's never really been on a good team? Injury problems? I don't know why, but I also don't think he'll be great in LA.

Also, can someone explain the St. Louis trade to me?

Edited by fanaticV3.0
  • Like 1

@yave1964

I count the Flyers as winners...we didn't trade the future away.

Penner- I think I heard his name once last night all game.

Habs stole Vanek. Rangers overpaid for St. Lou.

And yes, that sound you hear is the window of opportunity closing on the Nucks.

If I'm wrong, feel free to correct me, but weren't you just saying the other day about Homer doing the same thing over and over again when commenting on the McDonald trade?

@fanaticV3.0

I was more concerned with dealing Schenn or Couturier + picks/prospects for Kesler. I can live with the MacDonald deal, depending on what Homer is thinking in the signing dept.

Got  ya.

Did it help that we got one of the picks back for Mez? I was talking to a friend on FB last night and she was annoyed we didn't get more for him. I'm not so sure he's worth much more though. He's got some skill, but is a healthy scratch at times for a reason.

@fanaticV3.0

Getting something back for Mez to me made it more of a "slight upgrade for a 2nd" scenario, which isn't bad. I'm not sure MacDonald is a big upgrade, but he's certainly healthier. And maybe he'll be better without the huge strain of playing big minutes against the other teams top line.

Again, i would have been happier if the 2nd was this years but maybe we can get back into the 2nd before the 2015 draft.

@fanaticV3.0

Getting something back for Mez to me made it more of a "slight upgrade for a 2nd" scenario, which isn't bad. I'm not sure MacDonald is a big upgrade, but he's certainly healthier. And maybe he'll be better without the huge strain of playing big minutes against the other teams top line.

Again, i would have been happier if the 2nd was this years but maybe we can get back into the 2nd before the 2015 draft.

If last night was any indication, MacDonald is an unquestioned upgrade over Mezaros ... plus add the fact that the "bad" Schenn looked pretty good, he had instant chemistry with A Mac, which was something that Schenn and Mez never seemed to have, we may have gotten two players in the deal.  MacDonald and the Luke Schenn that had some promise not the Luke Schenn that played tentatively .  

Let's face it Adam Foote needed the right partner to be Adam Foote, otherwise he'd have been "bad" Luke Schenn... see what i'm saying ?